• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Know Why You Don't Believe?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I know I said that I wouldn't return to this thread, but I am very weak and cannot resist.

Name one thing that does not have width, length, and height.
The physical universe has no known width, length or height. To suggest otherwise would claim that we lived in a "closed system" which is only theoretical, at best, as there is no data to provide evidence supporting that premise. Don't even get me going about other universes, lol. Also, my greater identity cannot be measured in such terms. It could easily dance a merry jig on a pin head or expand itself to eclipse galaxies. It's all relative, you see, but it is not likely that you do.

Like Doppelganger, I await the report based on your homework. C'mon, it ought to be child's play for one so wise.

PS: I loved the amusing little anecdote about the Law and God.

*Leaves the thread humming, "I fought the law and the law won..."*

Super Universe

Defender of God
I know I said that I wouldn't return to this thread, but I am very weak and cannot resist.

The physical universe has no known width, length or height. To suggest otherwise would claim that we lived in a "closed system" which is only theoretical, at best, as there is no data to provide evidence supporting that premise. Don't even get me going about other universes, lol. Also, my greater identity cannot be measured in such terms. It could easily dance a merry jig on a pin head or expand itself to eclipse galaxies. It's all relative, you see, but it is not likely that you do.

Like Doppelganger, I await the report based on your homework. C'mon, it ought to be child's play for one so wise.

PS: I loved the amusing little anecdote about the Law and God.

*Leaves the thread humming, "I fought the law and the law won..."*

The universe has no known width, length, or height?

Not true, the limits of it's width, length, and height are not known but it still has width, length, and height.

Next time, be stronger.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
First Cause. That which caused all other causes and effects.

Well let's say hypothetically that the world is without end, infinite in time as well as space, and that nothing is ever lost or gained, only changes its form. How do you know there is any single first cause?

Doesn't your definition intrinsically cause you the problem of infinite regress?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
The universe has no known width, length, or height?

Not true, the limits of it's width, length, and height are not known but it still has width, length, and height.

Next time, be stronger.

Well that makes no sense. The word "width" is a measurement word about how wide something is, so if its width is not known, then possibly it doesn't have any; that is, it is infinitely wide, so does not have a knowable width.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Super:
By asserting that God is defined as the First Cause, aren't you assuming there is one? That is, assuming what you are setting out to demonstrate?

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Well that makes no sense. The word "width" is a measurement word about how wide something is, so if its width is not known, then possibly it doesn't have any; that is, it is infinitely wide, so does not have a knowable width.

Right, but follow the logic here. If you don't know what the limit to something is, merely using the word "limit" in your sentence to say so, means there is a limit. See? It's as obvious as Jormungandr.

Super Universe

Defender of God
Well let's say hypothetically that the world is without end, infinite in time as well as space, and that nothing is ever lost or gained, only changes its form. How do you know there is any single first cause?

Doesn't your definition intrinsically cause you the problem of infinite regress?

Your example still needs a beginning.

Another problem is that things are gained.

Knowledge.

Super Universe

Defender of God

The LIMIT of the universe is not known, that does not negate the fact that it still has some width, length, and height that we can see and even measure.

You're really over thinking this.