• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Know Why You Don't Believe?

Melissa G

Non Veritas Verba Amanda
I believe all cosmologists agree the universe has a boundary. The universe cannot be infinite because it had a definate beginning, ie the Big Bang, or super dense singularity. The universe doesn't need a God, but many people do.

Melissa G

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
The universe has no known width, length, or height?

Not true, the limits of it's width, length, and height are not known but it still has width, length, and height.

Next time, be stronger.
Well, I didn't realize you had much of a sense a humor, but now I do as you are most certainly joking. Sorry dear Melissa G, you are incorrect. To be accurate there are two camps and the adherents of each camp are not as firm in their belief as you may think. One camp states that we are in a closed (finite) universe, the other camp states that we are in an open (infinite) universe. You might want to read up on the subject a bit.

So I guess I will start making calls to the various Cosmologists on the planet and let them know to stop postulating answers as notso Super_Universe has it all figured out. Gee, what do you think the chances of that are? (About as good as pigs flying, I'd be willing to wager.) But hey this is all revelation of some sort, so there is no possibility that it could be wrong -- right?

Super Universe

Defender of God
Well, I didn't realize you had much of a sense a humor, but now I do as you are most certainly joking. Sorry dear Melissa G, you are incorrect. To be accurate there are two camps and the adherents of each camp are not as firm in their belief as you may think. One camp states that we are in a closed (finite) universe, the other camp states that we are in an open (infinite) universe. You might want to read up on the subject a bit.

So I guess I will start making calls to the various Cosmologists on the planet and let them know to stop postulating answers as notso Super_Universe has it all figured out. Gee, what do you think the chances of that are? (About as good as pigs flying, I'd be willing to wager.) But hey this is all revelation of some sort, so there is no possibility that it could be wrong -- right?

You might want to upgrade yourself there Ymir.

There are three camps.

Papersock

Lucid Dreamer
Visions of God are more subjective than pictures of the Eiffel Tower? Why, because you understand the process behind how a camera works and you don't understand the process behind how God works?
Visions of God are more subjective than pictures of the Eiffel Tower because visions are subjective and pictures (and towers) are objective.
The main thing I don't like about comparing god with the Eiffel Tower is that it's comparing something intangible with something tangible.

I almost hate to bring it up again, because the conversation has moved one since then. But oh well.

Super Universe said:
How can we know what God is? Can you tell what a puzzle is when you only have part of it assembled?

We cannot know what god is or even that god is anything. We cannot know what would be evidence for something we cannot know.

Super Universe

Defender of God
Visions of God are more subjective than pictures of the Eiffel Tower because visions are subjective and pictures (and towers) are objective.
The main thing I don't like about comparing god with the Eiffel Tower is that it's comparing something intangible with something tangible.

I almost hate to bring it up again, because the conversation has moved one since then. But oh well.

But pictures can be faked.

I'm not comparing God to the Eiffel Tower, I'm comparing the level of evidence for both.

If you never visit Paris, the Eiffel Tower is just as intangible as God is.

We can, and do, know to some degree what God is. You just won't accept it.

Papersock

Lucid Dreamer
Oops, you replied before I finished editing my last post.

And so can visions.

I'm not comparing God to the Eiffel Tower, I'm comparing the level of evidence for both.

If I were the only person in the world, and I had never been to Paris to see the Eiffel Tower and never seen pictures of it, I would have no reason to think it existed.

They do have different levels of evidence, I think. What is the photo equivalent of something intangible that we cannot even know?

Super Universe

Defender of God
Then how do we know what god is? It seemed like from your earlier posts you were saying we cannot know what god is and I was agreeing with you.

I guarantee I never said or implied that we cannot know what God is. I may have said or implied that a certain individual cannot know what God is because their mind is closed.

Learning is one of the reasons the universe exists. Once we become wise enough, we know how everything works and we know where heaven is and exactly how to get there.

Super Universe

Defender of God
Oops, you replied before I finished editing my last post.

And so can visions.

If I were the only person in the world, and I had never been to Paris to see the Eiffel Tower and never seen pictures of it, I would have no reason to think it existed.

They do have different levels of evidence, I think. What is the photo equivalent of something intangible that we cannot even know?

Why do you think God is intangible and something that you cannot know?

blackout

Violet.

We can, and do, know to some degree what God is. You just won't accept it.

When you experience life dynamically...
with an activated awareness...
you experience God.

When you rush through life like a tourist
on a 10 day whirlwind through 3 countries...
you may actually experience nothing.
(but a whirlwind and a checklist)

Postcards speak,
and towers speak.
But who is listening?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have no idea whatsoever what this has to do with the OP,
or this confusing conversation, but I liked the thought.:rolleyes:

Papersock

Lucid Dreamer
Super Universe said:
I guarantee I never said or implied that we cannot know what God is. I may have said or implied that a certain individual cannot know what God is because their mind is closed.

You said "How can we know what God is? Can you tell what a puzzle is when you only have part of it assembled?"
I took that to mean we cannot know what god is because we can only experience a very small part of it.
But I guess you meant the individual closed mind thing.