• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you love God?

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What was wrong about that`?
How can you debate a personal question to each person? Debate section should have something to be debated or discussed to show one way or the other. A point to be rebutted or refuted. Possibly falsifiable.

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
If 'God' is the essence of all love, light, life, power and reality itself, then by recognition and realization of this self-cognizing and actualizing PRESENCE, it is self affirming in the positive :) I AM :) - in this context of omnipresence, 'God' sources all, permeates all, encompasses all to infinity; - to love 'God' is to love LIFE and all its qualities/attributes thru-out creation.

~*~*~
I agree fully

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I love God very much

Do you love God?
Not sure who this 'you' is. Is it the soul, the ego/personality, or the Self? There are differing views.
Not sure what 'love' is. Emotional love? Infatuation? Appreciation? The supposedly deeper spiritual 'love'. People differ on that too.
Not sure what 'God' means either. Obviously there are many views on that idea.

The Self is Siva. They are one and the same. Do they love each other?
The ego/personality, in my view, isn't capable of deep love, but it has all kinds of things like attachment, lust, infatuation, kindness, that can all be interpreted as 'love'.
The soul or soul body is sort of a midway between the other two 'yous'. It's the deeper sense of the individual seen over many lifetimes, and is seeking merger with Siva. That's not love, in much of any way.

Very complicated question. Thanks for posting it.

freelight

Soul Pioneer
Not sure who this 'you' is. Is it the soul, the ego/personality, or the Self? There are differing views.
Not sure what 'love' is. Emotional love? Infatuation? Appreciation? The supposedly deeper spiritual 'love'. People differ on that too.
Not sure what 'God' means either. Obviously there are many views on that idea.

The Self is Siva. They are one and the same. Do they love each other?
The ego/personality, in my view, isn't capable of deep love, but it has all kinds of things like attachment, lust, infatuation, kindness, that can all be interpreted as 'love'.
The soul or soul body is sort of a midway between the other two 'yous'. It's the deeper sense of the individual seen over many lifetimes, and is seeking merger with Siva. That's not love, in much of any way.

Very complicated question. Thanks for posting it.

If Love is the Source-motive and context of all life, then all phases of be-ing and be-coming orient within loving relationships and co-creative potentials, yes? :) - this is what Creation is about.....experiencing love (cohesion/coherence) in all possible ways and forms, which also includes the negation or distortions of love....hence the whole gamut of duality and diversity in the cosmos. Its pretty wonderful eh? - as far the mechanical terms within vedic and buddhist philosophy, that can get pretty complex, but the same within any other religoius system. One Universal Reality subsists, within which all complexities arise.

Whatever we define 'God' as, we can determine from there if we love said 'God' and the context of such. Love in this case could refer to respect, reverence, honor and gratitude for existence.

~*~*~

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
"Love" is one of those words that works far too hard in the English language with the stunning amount of territory it is applied to. In that broadest sense, one could say that one must love the gods for in order to deem something worthy, that by definition involves a form of love. Thus, one "loves" all that one deifies and regards as gods in a broad sense of what "love" means.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
To my mind we can only love actual beings that can engage with us independently of our minds. God is compeletely dependent on the human mind. Disagree? Give examples of any God that exists independently of a human mind.
I believe that God exists somewhere, independent of anyone's mind, but I have no idea where or how God exists...
Baha'is are enjoined to relate to God through Baha'u'llah, as Christians relate to God through Jesus.

So I would have to love Baha'u'llah in order to love God, as Christians love Jesus.
I revere and respect Baha'u'llah, just as I do God, but I cannot say that I love either one of them.

F1fan

Veteran Member
I believe that God exists somewhere, independent of anyone's mind, but I have no idea where or how God exists...
Right, whatever idea of God a person has in their mind there is no way to determine whether it's true or not. As it is we do have a great deal of knowledge and what we understand of the universe does not support what religions claim about their gods. So there is no rational basis to conclude any God exists, or even that they are plausible.
Baha'is are enjoined to relate to God through Baha'u'llah, as Christians relate to God through Jesus.
It's like mental theater. To my mind it's like watching Star Wars and treating it like it's a documentary.
So I would have to love Baha'u'llah in order to love God, as Christians love Jesus.
I revere and respect Baha'u'llah, just as I do God, but I cannot say that I love either one of them.
I would say good for you to not think you love a person you never met.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Right, whatever idea of God a person has in their mind there is no way to determine whether it's true or not.
That is correct.
As it is we do have a great deal of knowledge and what we understand of the universe does not support what religions claim about their gods.
No, what we know does not support the claims that some religious people make, such as the claim that God is all-loving.
It's like mental theater. To my mind it's like watching Star Wars and treating it like it's a documentary.
Yes, it is kind of like that, and I don't go in for theater.
I would say good for you to not think you love a person you never met.
Good point, and I could never do that anyway. I tried that once when I was on a dating site and I fell flat on my face.
From now on the man either shows up in person or I am not taking him seriously when he says he loves me.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I love God very much

Do you love God?
:hugehug:

I so love God! Even when I wasn’t lovable, He still loved me with all of my faults, stinking thinking and smelly life!

And when I responded to His love and loved Him back, He saved my marriage. Then He healed my body in multiple areas, cleaned my mind and mouth, supplied needs and never leaves me no matter what happens.

I glad you love God too

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
:hugehug:

I so love God! Even when I wasn’t lovable, He still loved me with all of my faults, stinking thinking and smelly life!

And when I responded to His love and loved Him back, He saved my marriage. Then He healed my body in multiple areas, cleaned my mind and mouth, supplied needs and never leaves me no matter what happens.

I glad you love God too
With all due respect, how do you KNOW that God loves you, or that God did any of that?

Sorry, I am starting to talk like an atheist, but they do have some good points. ;)

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
With all due respect, how do you KNOW that God loves you, or that God did any of that?

Surely, I don’t hold against you the questions… they are actually good questions..

How can I make it understandable? Maybe by relating with my wife? How do I know she loves me? By what she does, by what she says, by how she acts! Those are some ways.

Time is another way… going on 50 years of marriage where she hasn’t left me

His presence is tangible. When He has spoken—it wasn’t my voice. When He has enveloped me with His love… I know it wasn’t someone else just as I know my wife’s hug.

It certainly wasn’t me that healed me instantly and it wasn’t a doctor.

His truthfulness.

There are just multiple ways that He shows Himself.

Sorry, I am starting to talk like an atheist, but they do have some good points. ;)

LOL… not a problem. No offense taken

Marwan

*banned*
I love God and I fear Him, and I submit to His Will, and I obey Him, and to Him I prostrate and bow, and to Him I pray.

I praise Him daily and constantly, and He is the Most Worthy of being praised by me.

He has shown me Absolute Goodness and Love, and showered me with gifts...

Therefore, God is the Greatest.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Surely, I don’t hold against you the questions… they are actually good questions..

How can I make it understandable? Maybe by relating with my wife? How do I know she loves me? By what she does, by what she says, by how she acts! Those are some ways.

Time is another way… going on 50 years of marriage where she hasn’t left me
Yes, I understand that because I was married to my late husband for 37 years.
But God is not a person who says and does things, or acts a certain way.

How would you know if God had left you, or conversely, how do you know that God has not left you?
I am as befuddled as any atheist.
His presence is tangible. When He has spoken—it wasn’t my voice. When He has enveloped me with His love… I know it wasn’t someone else just as I know my wife’s hug.
Now I am even more befuddled. :confused: Surely God does not speak in an audible voice or hug you like a person would, so I have to conclude that this is just a feeling you have of being loved, and I don't know where it is coming from. Mind you, other believers have the same kind of feelings but I never had them. I am not saying it is not genuine, I just don't understand it.
It certainly wasn’t me that healed me instantly and it wasn’t a doctor.
I believe that there are miracles that heal people, and if there is no other explanation they might be attributed to God, but what about all the people who are not healed? Does God play favorites?
His truthfulness.
I guess you are referring to the promises in the Bible, that they have been fulfilled?
There are just multiple ways that He shows Himself.
I do believe that God manifested Himself in Jesus, but that is not the same as God actually showing all of Himself. I am with the atheists when they say that God is in hiding. The attributes of God were manifested in Jesus, and the will of God was revealed, but the essence of God is hiding.
LOL… not a problem. No offense taken
Thanks, but I did not think you would take offense because I know you. :)