• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you trust the government of your country

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Being there are several countries represented here on RF, how many of you trust your government when relating to being upfront with truths, your well being, etc.

I have 2 countries, i wouldn't trust the UK government to open their mouths without lying. I've found the French government to be somewhat more honest but not perfect.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
"The government" is too heterogenous of an entity to comment on. Which government? The local city government? Specific departments within that local city government? The state government? Specific departments within said state government? And so on and so forth.

On the whole, I trust any and all government agencies that are staffed by relevant and well-qualified professional experts. Which is the majority of them, honestly. I trust the department that handles electricity in the city I live in to do their job well... and they do. They're professionals and experts in that kind of engineering and civil service. I trust the wildlife biologists employed by the relevant state agency to be well-appraised of the state's native wildlife and know a lot more about it than I do as a botanist, because they DO know more about it than I do. I trust the folks working at the Center for Disease Control to be following the latest science to the best of their professional ability to manage communicable diseases for the nation... and they do that. Scientific and technical professionals are, as a general rule, very, very trustworthy. Because we don't give a crap about playing political games (and become extremely frustrated when said games get in the way of us doing our jobs well).

On the whole, I trust those holding elected office to be overly-concerned with re-election and not focused enough on doing their actual jobs as civil servants, because this happens far more often than it should. Less so at the level of local governance than state and federal, however, which is an important distinction. The real problems happen when civil servants are elected who are incapable of actually being civil servants. Being a civil servant is all about serving something greater than yourself. An elected official who serves only themselves should be fired immediately, but unfortunately, that's not how it works in this country.

Unfettered

A striving disciple of Jesus Christ
Being there are several countries represented here on RF, how many of you trust your government when relating to being upfront with truths, your well being, etc.
As a general principle no one should ever "trust" government. Everything government does should be considered guilty until proven innocent. Every action it proposes, every dollar it wants, every law it seeks to make should be scrutinized against the rightful purposes of government, with every abuse being put down and every benignness being allowed. Government should never be given a pat on the back, should never be given any benefit of any doubt, and should never—as in never—be believed to have rights of any kind. Governments have obligations only, ever. And authority granted to meet those obligations. No rights. I could go on, but I'm sure no one wants that...

To the OP's question, no. I do not trust the US government. At all. The best I could ever hope to give government would be a momentary confidence that it was just. I can't offer that right now, either. I'd sure like to, but it does not give me cause to.

Last edited:

Raju3v

Yes, I do believe that our government is trusthworthy. I'm from India, and I'm quite positive of our government. However, you know people's views differs as per their understanding.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
"The government" is too heterogenous of an entity to comment on. Which government? The local city government? Specific departments within that local city government? The state government? Specific departments within said state government? And so on and so forth.

On the whole, I trust any and all government agencies that are staffed by relevant and well-qualified professional experts. Which is the majority of them, honestly. I trust the department that handles electricity in the city I live in to do their job well... and they do. They're professionals and experts in that kind of engineering and civil service. I trust the wildlife biologists employed by the relevant state agency to be well-appraised of the state's native wildlife and know a lot more about it than I do as a botanist, because they DO know more about it than I do. I trust the folks working at the Center for Disease Control to be following the latest science to the best of their professional ability to manage communicable diseases for the nation... and they do that. Scientific and technical professionals are, as a general rule, very, very trustworthy. Because we don't give a crap about playing political games (and become extremely frustrated when said games get in the way of us doing our jobs well).

On the whole, I trust those holding elected office to be overly-concerned with re-election and not focused enough on doing their actual jobs as civil servants, because this happens far more often than it should. Less so at the level of local governance than state and federal, however, which is an important distinction. The real problems happen when civil servants are elected who are incapable of actually being civil servants. Being a civil servant is all about serving something greater than yourself. An elected official who serves only themselves should be fired immediately, but unfortunately, that's not how it works in this country.
That's very nice to hear.
But history has always showed that bribery and corruption, which are the consequence of greed induce the most inflexible civil servants to betray their own nations, because they are bought off by the most generous paying villain, who is often a foreigner, so a person who wants to harm, undo or destroy the common good of the nation that civil servant is supposed to serve.

Betraying your own nation, your own people for money is not something good.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
If we trusted our government, we wouldn't have elections every 4 years. Then we'ld be fine with them running the country indefinitely.

Elections are like an evaluation point.

We Never Know

No Slack
If we trusted our government, we wouldn't have elections every 4 years. Then we'ld be fine with them running the country indefinitely.

Elections are like an evaluation point.
"Elections are like an evaluation point"

They used to be. Now IMO its all about party wars and spending multi-billions campaigning.

Most expensive ever: 2020 election cost $14.4 billion​

The 2016 Election Had A $6.5 Billion Price Tag​

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I would have to ask "about what?"

There are issues where I have found them trustworthy, but there are many issues where they are not.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I'm not sure where you live but people would rather vote for a party rather than a person.
I consider those people irresponsible.

Sure, in the big picture, I am drawn more to certain parties then to others, since each has some kind of baseline that they operate from.
But nevertheless I will still look at the people and what they have to say, what their credentials are, etc.

"the party" only matters to me in that sense that I will look to those people first at best.
Also when I find several of different parties "qualified" more or less equally, the "party" will decide which one I'll go for.

There are also parties I'll never vote for, regardless of the people who are in it. Like racist / nationalist / facistic parties.
People who associate with those, I care not how qualified or competent they are.

We Never Know

No Slack
I consider those people irresponsible.

Sure, in the big picture, I am drawn more to certain parties then to others, since each has some kind of baseline that they operate from.
But nevertheless I will still look at the people and what they have to say, what their credentials are, etc.

"the party" only matters to me in that sense that I will look to those people first at best.
Also when I find several of different parties "qualified" more or less equally, the "party" will decide which one I'll go for.

There are also parties I'll never vote for, regardless of the people who are in it. Like racist / nationalist / facistic parties.
People who associate with those, I care not how qualified or competent they are.

This post of yours gave me an ideal for a thread to start

Last edited: