• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you want a world war?

Do you want World War III?

• Yes

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • No

Votes: 35 87.5%

• Total voters

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I was trying to remember a line I heard from the movie Deal of the Century (1983), about nuclear war being winnable:

Can a nuclear war be won? The answer is yes. The United States can survive a Soviet first strike...

...and retaliate, inflicting more damage on them than they inflict on us.

With proper shelter and preparation...

...our leadership will survive intact...

...our industry will
function reasonably...

...and, as Vice President Bush
has stated...

...far more than five percent
of our population will survive.

But if only one man and one woman
are left on this earth...

...it is my deep desire
that they be Americans.

Well, gee, if more than 5% of the population is expected to survive and our industries can still function reasonably and our leadership survives intact, then we could win it. Maybe.

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
Sometimes I think we should let the leaders and politicians in charge of the different countries fight it out when disagreements get that far. Save the rest of the world from the pain and destruction. I think we could easily make that into a custom and eventually a law. Might improve the breed of leaders we get too. At least thin that part of the population a bit.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I voted yes. Not because I want a war. They are terrible things. But no one expects that sort of answer from a cute little rabbit.
I don't trust rabbits, I've seen the documentary.
Holy-Grail-1.gif

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Well, maybe all the armies could just use paintball guns instead and it will be a big paintball tournament with all the world's nations.

There was at least one science-fiction story about a videogame world war. And there was another where the wars were conducted as a spectator sport with the same small weapons and the same number of soldiers.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
People who have stock in Boeing, Raytheon, Lockheed Martin, ...

If there weren't people who profit from wars, we wouldn't have them.
And if people who don't want wars weren't so mindboggingly naïve, we wouldn't have people profiting from wars.
I suspect that they prefer profiting from arming for war not for the destruction the war brings.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Sometimes I think we should let the leaders and politicians in charge of the different countries fight it out when disagreements get that far. Save the rest of the world from the pain and destruction. I think we could easily make that into a custom and eventually a law. Might improve the breed of leaders we get too. At least thin that part of the population a bit.
I fully agree. That would lead to a much more intellectual society as well (only people who have seen the movie will get this).

MER2016102714474602_streamin1129.jpg

Colt

Of coarse not!!!!

"It is not a question of armaments or disarmament. Neither does the question of conscription or voluntary military service enter into these problems of maintaining world-wide peace. If you take every form of modern mechanical armaments and all types of explosives away from strong nations, they will fight with fists, stones, and clubs as long as they cling to their delusions of the divine right of national sovereignty.

War is not man’s great and terrible disease; war is a symptom, a result. The real disease is the virus of national sovereignty." UB 1955 IMOP

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Then why do we still have wars?
In war weapons get used and destroyed, that creates more demand than simply arming for war can.

It could be partly that, although I see war as about politics, and politics is about power. By engaging in war, we project our power and gain more control over territories and economies.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
It could be partly that, although I see war as about politics, and politics is about power. By engaging in war, we project our power and gain more control over territories and economies.
"We" being the small percentage of the population that gets to enjoy the benefits of more control over territories and economies...