• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Any Religion Require Us to be Intellectually Honest?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Does any religion require its followers to be intellectually honest? If so, which religion is that? And why does the religion require intellectual honesty?

bicker

Unitarian Universalist
As I indicated on one of your other threads about intelligence, I think people get vacuously bogged down in word usage, sometimes, so stated as pithily as you have stated your question, I suspect that practically every religion will claim that they require intellectual honesty, and in doing so, provide no real illumination of any value, but rather simply provide a ready-source for launching assaults on that perspective based solely on the obvious, ever-present differences regarding the underlying theologies of the proponent and opponent.

Having said that, UU affirms and promotes, "a free and responsible search for truth and meaning", and specifically calls for us to "heed the guidance of reason and the results of science". Essentially, this can legitimately be put forward as a requirement for intellectual honesty in matters of faith, though no one else is required to accept the premise, the assertion, nor its relevance to the question.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Any religion worth respecting does. It almost goes without saying.
And because of this, I would have to say, "No. There is no religious that currently requires followers to be intellectually honest, as that is why they rely on faith."

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Well, that IS a common enough distortion, I will readily grant that.

But it is still an unfair assessment of what religion is all about.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
While you certainly don't need to be intellectual to be a theist, I don't know of any faith that requires us to be stupid/ignorant either. ;)

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Intellectual honesty and religion typically are greatly at odds.

The key words are "typically", and probably "religion" as well.

I've noticed that even many theists have a low opinion of religion, for all the wrong reasons. Apparently so many people have used it as an excuse for power games and irresponsible acts that the real meaning of the word has been lost in general use.

Myself, I want to clarify and separate the matters. Religion is not mindless lack of discernment any more than politics is corruption.

bicker

Unitarian Universalist
A religion that stressed the magnificence of the universe as revealed by modern science, might be able to draw forth reserves of reverence and awe hardly tapped by traditional faiths. Sooner or later, such a religion will emerge.
~ Carl Sagan

chinu

chinu
Does any religion require its followers to be intellectually honest? If so, which religion is that? And why does the religion require intellectual honesty?
Because, Followers and Dishonesty are like water itself eating the farms. :)

_/\_
Chinu

The only religion I can think of is Unitarian Universalism, simply because it is the only religion that I know of that has an honest history of itself, and allows for individual and personal critique of other religions, and even its own in itself, in order for one to make sense of the world.

After all, religion served, to me anyways, a utilitarian function in many societies, and since then we have evolved enough to see that our former beliefs in many things incredible no longer have to be part of one's thoughts to be religious. We are allowed the freedom to believe, to question, and to doubt without the repercussions of shunning or anathema prominent in many religious traditions.

smokydot

Intellectual honesty does not give spiritual honesty, and spritual honesty is had only by the power and light of the Holy Spirit.

waitasec

Veteran Member
intellectually honest meaning rationally honest?

if any religion requires control in any way shape or form, that religion, imo, is irrational and dishonest.

if a religion has no boundaries or is open to other interpretations
that religion is rational.

Buddhism has the characteristics of what would be expected in a cosmic religion for the future: It transcends a personal God, avoids dogmas and theology; it covers both the natural and spritual; and it is based on a religious sense aspiring from the experience of all things, natural and spiritual, as a meaningful unity. -Albert Einstein

If there is any religion that would cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism. -Albert Einstein

Buddhists must be intellectuality honest with them selves to examine their own faults and desires in order to transcend them.

Please note that while there may be some branches of Buddhism that see Buddha As a Deity I am speaking of the Atheistic/Agnostic Branches of Buddhism.