• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does anyone believe the original scriptures? why or whynot?

This is a good place to start being that not even the best of scientist and figure anything out I'd rather go back in history, starting with the scriptures that came first (according to historical FACTS!!!). So answer the question, this is specifically for non Christians. If you are Christian praise GOD! but if you are an atheist or something else I would like to know first and for most, do you believe that THE Bible is a factual historical document, WHY or WHY NOT???

Dena

I'm thinking you won't find too many atheists who believe the Bible is factual. As for myself, the answer is yes and no. I think it has true stories that have been very much elaborated and embellished. As for your NT, I'm sure it has some sort of "truth" to it as some of the people probably did exists, etc but that's about it.

Why do I not believe every detail is factual? Because it doesn't make sense and it's not necessary. I don't think the Bible was meant to be read in one, literal way. It has layers of meaning.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
This is a good place to start being that not even the best of scientist and figure anything out I'd rather go back in history, starting with the scriptures that came first (according to historical FACTS!!!). So answer the question, this is specifically for non Christians. If you are Christian praise GOD! but if you are an atheist or something else I would like to know first and for most, do you believe that THE Bible is a factual historical document, WHY or WHY NOT???
Nope, I believe it's a mystical text, because that's what it is.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Why would I believe that a myth is historical fact? I mean myth may have some of its beginnings in actual events and places, but to believe it's all real and accurate is like believing Harry Potter and Hogwarts actually exists because the story involves London England and London is a real place. Just because there really was a President Grant doesn't mean that Jim West and Artemus Gordon took down Dr. Loveless.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Also, why would anyone even consider that the bible is "the original scriptures" when there are so many other religious scriptures and documents that come way before that? So many other religions that are far older and based on far older scriptures and myths? Why arbitrarily pick the bible to be the one to believe and follow?

Draka

Wonder Woman
The writers of the bible did not write what we read today. What we read today has been translated and interpreted many times over and there is no gaurantee that it is what it was suppose to be when it was written. Like a game of telephone over hundreds of years.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
The writers of the bible did not write what we read today. What we read today has been translated and interpreted many times over and there is no gaurantee that it is what it was suppose to be when it was written. Like a game of telephone over hundreds of years.
That, too.

do you really believe in yourself and what you think to be true? Even though these documents were written by over 40 authors, who did not know each other because they wrote these docs in seperate life times, its fact (research your history and stop making assumptions)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
For the most part, no.

- most of it isn't written in the style of a historical document.
- it contains many things that are obviously not literally true.
- it's not internally consistent - it contradicts itself.
- it's not a document anyhow; it's many.

I might be willing to accept some of the side mentions of historical details in the Epistles as factual claims, but even then, I wouldn't take them as necessarily true or unbiased, since they appear to have been written by people with particular agendas.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Are you here to have conversation, or just preach? If the former, kindly pay attention to what people are saying.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Do you believe that the writers of the Bible were influenced by the Holy spirit to write what we read today.
Speaking for myself, I don't believe that the Holy Spirit exists, so that would make it difficult for anyone to be influenced by it.

why would any of you take your theory and not research to find out if there is truth?
What makes you think we haven't?

Perhaps more importantly, are you claiming that you have done this?