• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does anyone have a problem with IT?

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
I'm wondering if people here have a problem with the possibility that their god/goddess/es/s aren't male or female... but "It" something without gender. Would it be painful for anyones' beliefs to refer to a diety as "it"?

Aqualung

Tasty
It would be for me, since a lot doctrine in my church is based around the idea that God is male. For example, we recognise him as our "heavenly father", and attribute other male characteristics to him. A lot of this stuff, too, isn't taught in a way that indicates that it's metaphorical, either. So, it might be difficult to begin to view it as metaphorical.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
It would be for me, since a lot doctrine in my church is based around the idea that God is male. For example, we recognise him as our "heavenly father", and attribute other male characteristics to him. A lot of this stuff, too, isn't taught in a way that indicates that it's metaphorical, either. So, it might be difficult to begin to view it as metaphorical.

yeah, I imagine if it's a basis of your faith that it would be hard to call God an It. If God did happen to be an "it" do you think it would be offended that people gave it gender?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I'm wondering if people here have a problem with the possibility that their god/goddess/es/s aren't male or female... but "It" something without gender. Would it be painful for anyones' beliefs to refer to a diety as "it"?
I usually refer to God as "it." I'd like it noted, however, that I don't believe God is a deity.

Aqualung

Tasty
yeah, I imagine if it's a basis of your faith that it would be hard to call God an It. If God did happen to be an "it" do you think it would be offended that people gave it gender?

No. I don't think it would be, because I think it would therefore have given itself that gender in order to metaphorically describe itself to fallable, stupid humans.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
I usually refer to God as "it." I'd like it noted, however, that I don't believe God is a deity.

So apparently it wouldn't offend you whatsoever :)

Let me ask you in reverse. What if God did happen to be a deity? Would s/he be offended that you didn't respect his/her gender?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
So apparently it wouldn't offend you whatsoever :)

Let me ask you in reverse. What if God did happen to be a deity? Would s/he be offended that you didn't respect his/her gender?
If God is a deity, and petty enough to be offended by my poor attempts to understand Him/Her, I think S/He will have bigger issues than my terminology. ;)

Besides, I tend to favor the theory that
God will understand. And if He does not, then He is not God, and we need not worry.
From Kingdom of Heaven.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Well, my Gods actually do have gender, or at least they choose to appear to have gender, and I feel it would be very disrespectful to them to not address them that way.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Well, my Gods actually do have gender, or at least they choose to appear to have gender, and I feel it would be very disrespectful to them to not address them that way.

How could ignoring their gender be disrespectful?

Do you think they'd be offended?

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
may I ask why?

Probably for the same reason a woman would be upset if someone said "excuse me Mister"; or, the way someone would be offended if they asked you to call them "Jennifer" and instead you consistently call them "Samantha".

They choose to represent themselves to us in a particular way, so why address them differently?

It also is significant that polytheistic cosmology generally doesn't involve a formless, genderless, omniscient being.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Probably for the same reason a woman would be upset if someone said "excuse me Mister"; or, the way someone would be offended if they asked you to call them "Jennifer" and instead you consistently call them "Samantha".
so Gods have he human capacity to be able to feel offended?

They choose to represent themselves to us in a particular way, so why address them differently?

It also is significant that polytheistic cosmology generally doesn't involve a formless, genderless, omniscient being.
Could you expound on this for me? I think I know what you're saying, but I want to be absolutely sure :)

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Not in the slightest to me, O' Great Poowawa [may cupcakes always fill your larder]. I often use the term "IT" when referring to what other human animals call "god" or "gawd". The Big Kahuna or Whole Enchilada, take your pick, is a tad beyond our dwarfed concepts of male and female, imho.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
IT is an impersonal pronoun reserved for desks, fences, trees, and the like.

I prefer to refer to God as my Father in Heaven, so I use the pronoun He.

I don't see it as painful when people refer to God however they deem necessary, but I do find it rude and insulting when someone corrects me when I say 'He':149: I respect the fact that different people relate to God in different ways, so I don't think it's unreasonable for others to extend me the same courtesy.:cross:

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
IT is an impersonal pronoun reserved for desks, fences, trees, and the like.

I prefer to refer to God as my Father in Heaven, so I use the pronoun He.

I don't see it as painful when people refer to God however they deem necessary, but I do find it rude and insulting when someone corrects me when I say 'He':149: I respect the fact that different people relate to God in different ways, so I don't think it's unreasonable for others to extend me the same courtesy.:cross:

I know that you may get angry at me, but I want you to know that I ask this with all the respect in the world. I'm not poking fun this time. *gasp*

What if He was a She? Would S/He be offended at the assumption that S/He is considered to be male all the time?

If this subject is too upsetting, I'll delete my post and say I'm sorry :)