• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does anyone have a problem with IT?

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
so Gods have he human capacity to be able to feel offended?

Could you expound on this for me? I think I know what you're saying, but I want to be absolutely sure :)

The Gods, for people who are polytheists, are closer to humans in their attitudes, appearance and other things than what Monotheists would consider God (though, they often appear as animals as well). They exist in a spirit realm close to ours (and in some cases overlaps). They are individual beings with their own personalities and responsibilities.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
I'm wondering if people here have a problem with the possibility that their god/goddess/es/s aren't male or female... but "It" something without gender. Would it be painful for anyones' beliefs to refer to a diety as "it"?

Paraphrasing Spinoza, "God" is paradoxically the anti-"It".

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
What if He was a She? Would S/He be offended at the assumption that S/He is considered to be male all the time?
I suspect that if there was a problem to be had, it would be with the person for whom others are utilizing their least favourite pronoun for God.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
I'm wondering if people here have a problem with the possibility that their god/goddess/es/s aren't male or female... but "It" something without gender. Would it be painful for anyones' beliefs to refer to a diety as "it"?

In Hinduism God is neither male nor female but has male and female qualities...these are also represented in the Deities which are manifestations of that one God but represent different attributes. Basically, the male aspect is Shiva or the cosmic consciousness and Shakti is the female aspect or energy and creative force of the universe. So, to us, although God has no gender because God is limitless...God can be considered as both Mother and Father. :)

ayani

i tend to call God "He" in writing and speaking, but don't see Him as male or as a 'man', but as beyond gender, and also as present in both men and women. yet "It" sounds disrespectful to me, so i stick with "Him".

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
i tend to call God "He" in writing and speaking, but don't see Him as male or as a 'man', but as beyond gender, and also as present in both men and women. yet "It" sounds disrespectful to me, so i stick with "Him".

Why is "it" so disrespectful, though?

It's just a word... same as "he" or "she"

Aqualung

Tasty
Why is "it" so disrespectful, though?

It's just a word... same as "he" or "she"

"it" just carries a lot of "baggage" (Yes, I hate myself for saying baggage, but I couldn't think of anything else). It's reserved for inanimate objects or children you don't like and want to make fun of.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
...What if He was a She? Would S/He be offended at the assumption that S/He is considered to be male all the time? ...
No worries by me, as I know many people, including including quite a few in our Disciples of Christ Church, who refer to God as a Mother Spirit. :)

As long as we are good to each other, I don't think God would be offended over which pronoun we choose.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
"it" just carries a lot of "baggage" (Yes, I hate myself for saying baggage, but I couldn't think of anything else). It's reserved for inanimate objects or children you don't like and want to make fun of.

Yes, but instead of "it" perhaps ... "the one" would suffice and not be so baggageful? :D

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I like to call It; The Great WhatEver (WE for short :D)

Anyway IT's been covered, we've already discussed IT.

Ok, I'll say it... ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
Quagmire

(hey, that was supposed to show up as a link to a thread. Oh well, forget IT)

lunamoth

Will to love
I like to call It; The Great WhatEver (WE for short :D)

Anyway IT's been covered, we've already discussed IT.

Ok, I'll say it... ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
Quagmire

(hey, that was supposed to show up as a link to a thread. Oh well, forget IT)

I gave her the link to IT in post #16, where IT has been discussed in excruciating detail.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
I do use "the One" from time to time, but pronouns are good.

If I dont say "the One" my tendency is to say "He" moreso than "She." (Unless, of course, I'm referring to Sophia or Barbelo - or Miriam, naturally.) I think it has to do with my Anglican roots. In either case, I would refer to it as "Tao" ... but I dont want people to get the wrong idea about my faith. The trouble is, I dont understand what I'm meant to fully. Until I do, "Tao" "He" and "She" are on my list of things to avoid when addressing my heart.