• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does everyone have an alter ego?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, my alter egos tend not to get along with each other, though that's probably why they're there...

Ironically, one of my alter egos wants to have no ego :rolleyes: goes to show how that's going :D

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Staff member
Premium Member
Good example of alter ego now:

"I'm so tired I want to fall asleep"

My other ego takes over "Eh... maybe a little internet..."

Now me at 4 AM slightly getting tired... Definitely not going to wake up in two hours for school. Another skip day...

raw_thought

My alter ego left me when I abandoned any self concept * (idolatry). Sometimes it raises its ugly head from the grave and accuses me of being ugly. Stupid alter ego, life is for the living.
Though I admit that for decades we were in a relationship. But now I think it is time for both of us to move on.;)
* ego (altered or otherwise ) is only a concept.

Last edited:

Parsimony

If you are speaking of Multiple Personality Disorder (or perhaps more correctly, Dissociative Identity Disorder), then I'd have to say that I don't have one (at least not one that I'm currently aware of). However, one of my best friends does have this condition and I find her accounts to be quite interesting. I've become friends with one of her alters. The other two alters aren't so friendly (one is a sourpuss and the other is very shy). She's an amazing person (people?).

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If you are speaking of Multiple Personality Disorder (or perhaps more correctly, Dissociative Identity Disorder), then I'd have to say that I don't have one (at least not one that I'm currently aware of). However, one of my best friends does have this condition and I find her accounts to be quite interesting. I've become friends with one of her alters. The other two alters aren't so friendly (one is a sourpuss and the other is very shy). She's an amazing person (people?).

Interesting. Thank you. I think I was not asking about a mental disorder but I forget. I could read the thread again, I guess. Haha. Your post, the people? part, made me laugh. I gave you a frubal for it. Now you have 11. Everyone starts with ten. We don't know why.

My ego is what people know. My alter ego is what people do not know. I suppose a good guesser can guess it but knowing will be their alter ego.

raw_thought

One's ego (altered or not altered) is one's self concept. It can actually attack and criticize the self. How many times have you thought, I'm not smart enough for that job or I'm not good looking enough to go out with her.
Many people serve their ego and not themselves. They think it is better to look good than to feel good! People compete for trophies (worthless symbols ) instead of for the joy of the contest. They buy expensive paintings and instead of enjoying them they put them in a safe. The whole reason they were purchased was to make them look rich. Most people are slaves to their ego. Not me!

Last edited:

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
One's ego (altered or not altered) is one's self concept. It can actually attack and criticize the self. How many times have you thought, I'm not smart enough for that job or I'm not good looking enough to go out with her.
Many people serve their ego and not themselves. They think it is better to look good than to feel good!o

People generally can't tell the difference, largely because what's left with the elimination of "ego" is undefined visceral perception. Hard to serve something that you can know nothing about without the helpful induction of ego.

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
The only difference between a person with an alter-ego and a person with MPD is that the person with an alter is aware that it's not a totally separate identity in relation to self...it's more like a subconscious aspect of personality that rarely gets acknowledged.

I have seen where a person with MPD is even unaware that certain people within that psyche, 'know' each other and thus, a MPD person may not even be aware they have MPD.

raw_thought

Perhaps God (the trinity) has MPD? Perhaps since Atman=Brahman, Hinduism also proclaims an MPD God? I have often thought that "untouchables" are God slumming* it!
Every night we experience MPD! We are actor,screen writer and landscape designer in our dreams and each is unaware of the other. For example, a monster might jump out of a bush (written by the screen writer) and totally suprise the actor.
Of course everyday we become different people. At work I have a different personality (more inhibited, less emotional, more professional ) than at home.
* Slumming it is when a wealthy person takes a vacation in (for example) a ghetto, to experience something shockingly different

Last edited: