• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does God need intercessors?

Philomath

Sadhaka
This question is particularly aimed at Christians.

As a former Christian I always struggled with why I needed to pray through Jesus to God instead of simply going directly to God.

intercessor (a negotiator who acts as a link between parties)
Per this definition does God need one? If yes, then why does he need one?

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
In most Christian traditions, Jesus is God. Maybe they just thought you'd have a better time if you prayed to the "friendlier" face.

Philomath

Sadhaka
In my particular tradition Jesus is God and somehow the son of God simultaneously (confusing I know). I was taught that you pray to God through Jesus with the Holy Spirit. I guess my question really stems from why prayers(that I've encountered) end with "In Jesus name". Why do you need to pray through someone to get to God? and if that's not the case why do prayers end with "In Jesus name"?

Astrologer

I never liked being a Christian. The "middleman" concept seemed silly to me. And who has the right to dictate what god is ? They acted like the god of Abraham is the be all to everything. No other religions "mattered" to them except Judaism.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
God already knows what people need so why Pray at all?
I don't see the point of prayer is to ask for something you already know you may or may not get. I see it more of an action and communication rather than requests. In a Christian perspective, I wouldn't see why one needs to pray to God for anything. Talk to Him just like you would talk to anyone else that you're close with. Asking for something that you are expecting in return isn't prayer.

That's my take. My personal views? Prayer in itself is an action and communication with life. No outside party is needed to be connected with yourself in all aspects of the word--that's prayer. A verb for life--living.

Ataraxia

As a former Christian I always struggled with why I needed to pray through Jesus to God instead of simply going directly to God.

Given the presupposed nature of a god, that he exists in another realm and so forth, I don't see how one could communicate with such a being at all except by some bridge like a mediator.

Awoon

I don't see the point of prayer is to ask for something you already know you may or may not get. I see it more of an action and communication rather than requests. In a Christian perspective, I wouldn't see why one needs to pray to God for anything. Talk to Him just like you would talk to anyone else that you're close with. Asking for something that you are expecting in return isn't prayer.

That's my take. My personal views? Prayer in itself is an action and communication with life. No outside party is needed to be connected with yourself in all aspects of the word--that's prayer. A verb for life--living.

You have an answer for every post. Why do you ask any questions?

JoStories

IMO, jesus is just another spiritual teacher such as the Buddha. There is no need to talk or what you call pray, to anyone other than God. But rather than pray, which I see as asking God for what we, ourselves, should be trying to obtain or make come to pass, I ask about what I can do for others.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I think we have to understand that the mediator, or the Christ is a metaphor, we ourselves can become the Christ, when we fully realize this we are then one with God, or pure Source.

While we are still praying through the Christ to the father, we are still immature, become mature in spirit and you won't even have to pray, your whole life is a prayer.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
You have an answer for every post. Why do you ask any questions?
I just GOT what you're saying. Haha. I don't know. I've always had a thing for expression. I used to write a lot and journal as well. There are questions that I am ignorant to. I'm not God, lol.. :rolleyes:

amorphous_constellation

Well, their concept of it has God wanting more middleman. I mean, he had satan roaming the earth in the book of Job. I don't if that was to supposedly obfuscate God from some task. Ask yourself the question, does a boss really need an inspector or secretary if they are there all the time and know what to do anyway? No, but the work they do frees them from doing it, I guess.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006

You don't need to. But, in the orthodox Christian paradigm, Jesus is God, so praying to one is praying to the other. God does not need a mediator. But sometimes it's helpful for human beings to have "someone on their team," STS.

leibowde84

Veteran Member

This might just be an example of your Church at the time coming up with a way for your to understand prayer as a young child. I mean, Jesus is a pretty approachable guy for the most part, so it might be easier for kids to connect with a really nice human being rather than an indescribably deity. Just a thought though.

Vishvavajra

In my particular tradition Jesus is God and somehow the son of God simultaneously (confusing I know). I was taught that you pray to God through Jesus with the Holy Spirit. I guess my question really stems from why prayers(that I've encountered) end with "In Jesus name". Why do you need to pray through someone to get to God? and if that's not the case why do prayers end with "In Jesus name"?
Sounds like an attempt to cram the entire Trinity in there. That sort of thing matters a great deal to some people, as if one aspect of the godhead would somehow be offended if left out.

Nooj

none
In a Christian perspective, I wouldn't see why one needs to pray to God for anything. Talk to Him just like you would talk to anyone else that you're close with.

i don't get this either. why do we need to talk to god only when we want something from him? do we only talk to people if we want something from them?

Ataraxia

Everyone that believes in a god needs something as I see it. They use that belief to fulfill some need or fill a void.