• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

does hinduism accept christ as a prophet/god

dave6

i have met people in the faith who claim they believe in christ as a prophet and some even say as a God or as divine. is this common?

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
i have met people in the faith who claim they believe in christ as a prophet and some even say as a God or as divine. is this common?
It is common.Hindus are mostly non extremist. If you take opinions of Hindus. 90% Hindus will say all religions equal. Bhagavad Gita states

"As men approach me, so I receive them. All paths lead to me."

dave6

It is common.Hindus are mostly non extremist. If you take opinions of Hindus. 90% Hindus will say all religions equal. Bhagavad Gita states

as i thought i have a good friend who is Hindu and he has a great affection for christ and the stories and teachings of him.

Maya3

A lot of Hindus think that Christ was an enlightened person and some might read his teachings.
But I don´t think there is a single Hindu that believes in the Resurrection (sp?)
and Abrahamic theology is completely different than ours.

But yes of course it is accepted by most. It doesn´t really matter how you reach God, if it works for you that's great.

Maya

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

This is simply not true. In India many Hindus haven't even heard of Christ, and in many places an anti-Christian element has developed as a response to overt proseltysation tactics. I'm not sure where Sumit is grabbing his facts from.

Sure there are a few Hindus, leaning towards universalism, or actually flat out universalists, but from my experience, it is a very small minority. The average Hindu sees Christ as totally irrelevant, yet at the same time respect the right of individuals to have faith of any kind.

atanu

Premium Member

I agree mostly with Sumit. Not sure of the percentage though. But most Indians who reside in India will agree. Intrinsically, most Hindus consider Buddha and Christ as special and divine. There is not a single Hindu teacher who has taught differences.

This picture is somewhat vitiated due to forcible or seduced conversion practices adopted by christians in India and world over. And also due to political people appropriating relion. Most Hindus do believe that Christ is divine but churchianity is gross.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Well Dave, I guess you'll have to go interview a million or so Hindus. :) This forum is no random sample, consisting of many converts who have a Christ in their subconscious.

Maybe you could go to your local Hindu temple, if you have one nearby, and ask about. I confess to a bias as I've seen so much confusion and indirect pain from Christian-Hindu interaction.

dave6

Well Dave, I guess you'll have to go interview a million or so Hindus. :) This forum is no random sample, consisting of many converts who have a Christ in their subconscious.

Maybe you could go to your local Hindu temple, if you have one nearby, and ask about. I confess to a bias as I've seen so much confusion and indirect pain from Christian-Hindu interaction.

i do not expect all Hindu people to think exactly the same just asking to see how common it is to meet hindu people who have a respect or interest in christianity. that is all not attempting to generalize or pigeon hole millions of people from many different regions, countries, ethnic and national and cultural backgrounds. I am aware it is a diverse set of people as most any religious group is

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
i do not expect all Hindu people to think exactly the same just asking to see how common it is to meet hindu people who have a respect or interest in christianity.

This is a very difficult question. I can't imagine you getting any sort of decisive answer. Most people answer out of their own experience or bias (like I do) :). There is a tendency to generalize from one's own personal experience.

As to the respect or interest, I see those as two entirely different things. I respect legitimate Christians trying to live as 'Christ' did, (Christ in quotes because I'm not convinced such a person existed) and not bothering me about it. There are some very worthwhile ideas there, from the little I have heard. But as for interest, I have none at all. All my religious needs are already met within Sanatana dharma, so I have no interest in other faiths, other than as a sense to know a little just so I can have some kind of grasp of where people are coming from, and get along with the human race.

In a liberal understanding of Vaishnavism, we believe that Jesus Christ is a messenger and shaktyavesha-avatara of Krishna (or Vishnu, God Almighty). Shaktyavesha means that Jesus was an incarnation of God's power and embodied His will on Earth.

However, in terms of religion, while Christianity has given some idea about our knowledge of God, that knowledge is not complete. It does not encompass in the light of our Hindu Scriptures, the full-fledged theism found in the Vedic literatures. So while the respect for Christ is there, we look to Scriptures such as Bhagavata Purana, Vishnu Purana, Bhagavad Gita, etc. and others, Shiva Purana, etc. to deepen our relationship with the Divine Absolute.

dave6

In a liberal understanding of Vaishnavism, we believe that Jesus Christ is a messenger and shaktyavesha-avatara of Krishna (or Vishnu, God Almighty). Shaktyavesha means that Jesus was an incarnation of God's power and embodied His will on Earth.

However, in terms of religion, while Christianity has given some idea about our knowledge of God, that knowledge is not complete. It does not encompass in the light of our Hindu Scriptures, the full-fledged theism found in the Vedic literatures. So while the respect for Christ is there, we look to Scriptures such as Bhagavata Purana, Vishnu Purana, Bhagavad Gita, etc. and others, Shiva Purana, etc. to deepen our relationship with the Divine Absolute.

a Hindu preist told me that Hindu people are ultimately monotheistic being the believe in one supreme God. Is this te case for some or many Hindu people. there is one God but many deity?

Satyamavejayanti

Hinduism does not even mention christ, christ is a nobody in Hinduism, but Hindus (Many but not all) have come up with the Idea of his divinity, and that is only because of the influence of Christians themselves. No scriptures mention christ not even the 10 Avtars of Vishnu as far as i am aware of.

even prophet-hood is not a Hindu concept, the rishi and the sages of the old Vedas are not prophets.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Hinduism does not even mention christ, christ is a nobody in Hinduism, but Hindus (Many but not all) have come up with the Idea of his divinity, and that is only because of the influence of Christians themselves. No scriptures mention christ not even the 10 Avtars of Vishnu as far as i am aware of.

even prophet-hood is not a Hindu concept, the rishi and the sages of the old Vedas are not prophets.

Very well said. I don't feel so alone. :yes:

Satyamavejayanti

Very well said. I don't feel so alone. :yes:

Dhanyavad Vinayaka Ji,

Accepting Jesus as one of our Gods is just making us look inferior with our philosophy, that is what i think, it makes Hinduism seem borrowed and made up from pieces. If one accepts Jesus then one has to also accept the concepts of the Christian religion and its teachings, which are against Dharmah.

And why not Prophet Muhammad, whos Avtar is he?

And is Allah the same as Vishnu?

If i don't believe in Christianity/Islam, I don't believe in Jesus/Allah. that's my Philosophy.

No offence to anyone,

OHM TATH SATH

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
A teacher is one thing, a divinity is another. How about Laozi, Confucius, Zoroaster? The list goes on. Teachers yes. Divinities, no. Whether Jesus existed or not is not the issue; that someone wrote the things attributed to him had good things to say is. Btw, Jesus himself never claimed to be God. He admitted once to being the son of God, as we all are sons and daughters of God, in a way.

Maija

All my religious needs are already met within Sanatana dharma, so I have no interest in other faiths, other than as a sense to know a little just so I can have some kind of grasp of where people are coming from, and get along with the human race.

I'm being very general, but I imagine this is how a lot of Hindus would feel. Jesus is a non-issue, versus the ideas that a lot of Christians and those from Abrahamic religions have about say Krishna or Shiva.

Though Jesus may not play an important role in their lives I feel many Hindus would at the VERY least respect his teachings and say he was a great man. This is why I like Dharmic religions, more tolerance and acceptance of others paths meant to me they understood the greater picture..

atanu

Premium Member
In general, hindu teachers have taught that water everywhere is same. Although, some thrive only by showing the differences and maintaining control over territories.

Hinduism at the root has a philosophy of 'The Particulars' and 'The General'. 'The General' runs through 'The Particulars'. For example, mangoes are of many shapes and sizes but the 'Mangoness' is the general.

Brahman is the General of the Generals. The truth in all particulars.

Hindu gurus will never teach one to abandon one's dharma and adopt that of another culture. At the same time, I have not come across any teacher, who has derided Buddha, Jesus, or even Muhammad.

Differences are at the level of the particulars. And until, the 'sama' paramatman, same everywhere, is known, yoga cannnot take place.

Gita Chapter 13
Samam pashyan hi sarvatra samavasthitameeshwaram;
Na hinastyaatmanaa’tmaanam tato yaati paraam gatim.

29. Because he who sees the same Lord dwelling equally everywhere does not destroy the Self by the self, he goes to the highest goal.
Yadaa bhootaprithagbhaavam ekastham anupashyati;
Tata eva cha vistaaram brahma sampadyate tadaa.

31. When a man sees the whole variety of beings as resting in the One, and spreading forth from That alone, he then becomes Brahman.

My half a cent of rambling.:)

Last edited:

Satyamavejayanti

atanu;3266133]
Hindu gurus will never teach one to abandon one's dharma and adopt that of another culture.

This (change of Dharma) is not advised by Gurus, only because the true Guru knows that Dharma cannot be changed, Dharma is Sanatana, the only thing changes is Samaj (society).

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
This reminds me of Swami Ramdas (peace be upon his soul).
Swami Ramdas clearly recites that of the books he took with him, he took the New Testament and the Bhagvad Gita. He clearly expresses the words of Jesus as being enlightening.
A person as great as Swami Ramdas realized this regardless of his faith or the label placed upon him. He truly was not a Hindu or a Dharmist but a spiritual individual. Hindus unlike people of many other faiths do not seek labels. Jews have Kabbalah and Muslims have Sufism to designate their mystical sects. Yet Hindus have no such distinct label because as a whole they are mystical to begin with. Mysticism is the primary heart and core to Sanatana Dharma as a whole to begin with. Enlightenment through mystic understanding is the primary goal for most Dharmic theologies.
Jesus according to the Bible is very much in tune with Dharmic concepts and especially within Vaisna-dharma and its usage of avatars. I have known a couple of Hindus who placed much emphasis on the deeds of Jesus although they ignored the rest of the Bible.