• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does homophobia make sense?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I mean...inspired by a recent controversy...in the religious, ecclesiastical field...
does the sentiment of homophobia that heterosexuals may feel, make sense?
I think it's irrational and self-contradictory.

I mean...I am straight. I am into men.
If the most beautiful women are gay...it means that so many men will be single and available....because they will leave them alone.
In other words....more lesbians = more single men for me.

I wonder what Freud would say about this weird self-detrimental homophobic sentiment...many straight people have.
It's a psychological detail that makes you think.

Give me your take. :) ;)

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Does the term make sense? Yes. Homo = homosexual; phobia = fear

Is the attitude or feeling logical or reasonable? Not at all.

Eddi

Believer in God
Premium Member
got a relative who has quit jobs because he did not want to "catch" homosexuality.
How would that even work?

I mean is it airborne?

Does frequently washing your hands prevent its transmission?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Maybe

But I would still classify homophobia as a species of hatred rather than as a species of fear
Honestly I think that you're absolutely right.

But in my opinion, it's some bisexuals who hate homosexuals because the latter live their sexuality above board.
Whereas bisexuals are often covert bisexuals or people who pretend to be 100% straight, and this repression makes them angry and hateful.
Hateful towards those gay people who are free since they have the courage to live their own sexuality openly. :)

Someone said that homophobes are gays in denial. I don't recall who did.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
How would that even work?

I mean is it airborne?

Does frequently washing your hands prevent its transmission?
He tried to explain it.
Something about an aura that homosexuals emit that can infect your aura...

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I'm confident that plays a part, given what @McBell shared.
Psychologically interesting. This makes you question their alleged heterosexuality....
Because if I frequent lesbians, I am not afraid of anything. I already know that frequenting them will not make me like women...

Freud would have probably thought something like that.

wellwisher

I mean...inspired by a recent controversy...in the religious, ecclesiastical field...
does the sentiment of homophobia that heterosexuals may feel, make sense?
I think it's irrational and self-contradictory.

I mean...I am straight. I am into men.
If the most beautiful women are gay...it means that so many men will be single and available....because they will leave them alone.
In other words....more lesbians = more single men for me.

I wonder what Freud would say about this weird self-detrimental homophobic sentiment...many straight people have.
It's a psychological detail that makes you think.

Give me your take. :) ;)
The Main Religions were instituted, long ago before modern science. The ancient people did not have medical science, that could deal with the health issues caused by gay behavior. This is not the most sanitary behavior. Picture if there were no drugs to fight disease, like AIDS that decimated the gay population in the 1980's, until a defense strategy was found. That type of outcome was more common in ancient times. It was not seen as healthy behavior, simply because it was detrimental to health; cause and effect.

The problem today is we have so many mops to clean up after unnatural messes; hide the adverse natural counter reaction. These mops create an ambiguous message, that was more clear cut, before the age of mops.

For example, say I wanted to eat rocks. I can point to chickens and birds who eat little rocks as part of their digestive diet. The problem for me is eating rocks, will break my teeth and cause digestive issues, if I eat too much. People will sense these adverse reactions, and think I was nuts for doing this. A few trips to the ER, and other people we try to protect me, by setting a rock eating taboo.

Say science and medicine, advances and allows me a safer way to eat rocks; mop up the mess, so it appears harmless to me. Now some people will think what I am doing is harmless and natural, since there are on ill effects; on the surface. It is still not natural, but it is disguised as natural, due to mops and mirrors.

If we took away all the mops and mirrors; back to Spartan natural and let nature take its course, it would be easier to see which behavior is acceptable to nature and which are not. The mops make this ambiguous. The ambiguous makes concern for unnatural behavior look like an arbitrary moral judgement and not something based on natural common sense concern.

If you are a seller of mops, growing your business means you need to increase the demand and need for your mops. A growing business model would promote the unnatural behavior, needed to sell more mops, and even call it natural, so more will buy these mops. We end uo with disguised unnatural being called natural helping a growing business sector. If you watch TV, there are more direct selling of mops to LBGTQ, this is a demographics that can increase the mop market share; legitimize the need for mops.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Not me.
People tend to fear that which they do not understand.
You're right. Also because each country and each culture has its own vision of manhood and its own cultural schemes.

I guess what you said it's true about the US. I mean...there's this vision of manhood that depends on how feelings and emotions are conveyed by men. Seldom.

In my country manhood depends on who you have sex with. So men are considered men only if they sleep with women. No matter how emotional and sensitive they are.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Psychologically interesting. This makes you question their alleged heterosexuality....
It's how it often goes. Not always, of course, but it's never surprising when an anti-queer crusader comes out as queer. Religious leaders, politicians, anti gay organization leaders, even people like me.