• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does homophobia make sense?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I mean...inspired by a recent controversy...in the religious, ecclesiastical field...
does the sentiment of homophobia that heterosexuals may feel, make sense?
I think it's irrational and self-contradictory.

I mean...I am straight. I am into men.
If the most beautiful women are gay...it means that so many men will be single and available....because they will leave them alone.
In other words....more lesbians = more single men for me.

I wonder what Freud would say about this weird self-detrimental homophobic sentiment...many straight people have.
It's a psychological detail that makes you think.

Give me your take. :) ;)

If you have had a bad experience of a homosexual trying to groom you like I have it might. As a child you tend to develop phobias because of things happening around you that you can't quite understand.

However, I've come to see the actions of an individual don't necessarily represent the behavior of the whole.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
If you have had a bad experience of a homosexual trying to groom you like I have it might. As a child you tend to develop phobias because of things happening around you that you can't quite understand.

However, I've come to see the actions of an individual don't necessarily represent the behavior of the whole.
I can assure you that many heterosexual women have been hit on by lesbians...and it's not pleasant either.
And lesbians can be infinitely more clingy than gay men.

That said...I have noticed a shameful doublestandardism from straight men. They are bothered by the presence of two gay men holding hands, but they are aroused by the presence of two lesbians kissing.

I'd say this is utterly disgusting. :)

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I can assure you that many heterosexual women have been hit on by lesbians...and it's not pleasant either.
And lesbians can be infinitely more clingy than gay men.

That said...I have noticed a shameful doublestandardism from straight men. They are bothered by the presence of two gay men holding hands, but they are aroused by the presence of two lesbians kissing.

I'd say this is utterly disgusting. :)

Well we can't help the culture we are raised it. I suppose I am less judgemental about it than you.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson

Does homophobia make sense?​

Interesting question with an easy answer since it is labeled a phobia

A phobia is an uncontrollable, irrational, and lasting fear of a certain object, situation, or activity

Ignatius A

In my experience, It's ignorance that breeds fear, and it's fear that breeds hatred.
In my experience the term homophobia is simply slapped onto people who disagree with woke ideology. It's a way of classifying people and so you dont have to deal with them. Label them homophobic and then they can be ignored. It's nothing but word games.

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
In my experience the term homophobia is simply slapped onto people who disagree with woke ideology. It's a way of classifying people and so you dont have to deal with them. Label them homophobic and then they can be ignored. It's nothing but word games.
Oh right, so there shouldn't be a specific word for those who hate and want to harm homosexuals :rolleyes:

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
I mean...inspired by a recent controversy...in the religious, ecclesiastical field...
does the sentiment of homophobia that heterosexuals may feel, make sense?
I think it's irrational and self-contradictory.

I mean...I am straight. I am into men.
If the most beautiful women are gay...it means that so many men will be single and available....because they will leave them alone.
In other words....more lesbians = more single men for me.

I wonder what Freud would say about this weird self-detrimental homophobic sentiment...many straight people have.
It's a psychological detail that makes you think.

Give me your take. :) ;)
Negative attitudes towards homosexuality originally stemmed from enforcement of sex roles. Male homosexuality was especially stigmatized, as it was associated with effeminacy. Plus, people were expected to marry and have children in every single culture I can think of, whatever their preferences were. So if you can't perform in that role, you'd be seen as weird at least. Homosexuality is still taboo in most of the world, at least culturally, including some places where they have legal rights. It's really only in the West that it's really accepted and celebrated.

Ignatius A

Oh right, so there shouldn't be a specific word for those who hate and want to harm homosexuals :rolleyes:
I've noticed that some people in life are just a two stroke engine. The "word" isn't the problem Eddi, LOL. It's about how, when and to whom the "word" is applied that I am referencing. The fact is that more often than not the "word" is applied to people whom have neither a hate for nor a desire to harm homosexuals.

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
The fact is that more often than not the "word" is applied to people whom have neither a hate for nor a desire to harm homosexuals.
Yes, I agree with this

But I don't think that invalidates the concept

I think that the concept of "homophobia" is important, for instance if you don't want it to be acceptable for people being kicked to death by a gang of thugs for being gay

Ignatius A

Yes, I agree with this

But I don't think that invalidates the concept

I think that the concept of "homophobia" is important, for instance if you don't want it to be acceptable for people being kicked to death by a gang of thugs for being gay
I dont want it to be acceptable for anyone being kicked to death by a gang it thugs. Their live style choices are irrelevant.

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
I dont want it to be acceptable for anyone being kicked to death by a gang it thugs. Their live style choices are irrelevant.
Yes, so to change society so that no longer happens and is no longer acceptable we need the word and concept of "Homophobia"

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
"Making sense" boils down to:
  • I understand (this makes sense to me)
  • I do not understand (this does not make sense to me)
If something doesn't "make sense" to you, you do not understand it. If you do not understand it, then you can do one or more of the following:
  • I do not understand, therefore I will...
    • ... learn more about what I don't understand so that I can understand
    • ... recognize the limits of my understanding and defer to others expertise
    • ... ignore what I don't understand because it doesn't matter to me or impact me
    • ... mock and belittle what I don't understand because it must be stupid
    • ... attack and destroy what I don't understand because it must be evil
On sexuality in general, I'm usually somewhere in the first three. I'm asexual - I really don't give two flips about someone's sexual orientation or phobias or whatever. I'll leave the discussion to others, but I have to have some understanding because it impacts my professional job (kids these days, I tell ya).

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member

I disagree with the woke ideology too.
But homophobia is a different thing. It's when you think gay people should be ghettoized and live far away from the "straight" world.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
"Making sense" boils down to:
  • I understand (this makes sense to me)
  • I do not understand (this does not make sense to me)
If something doesn't "make sense" to you, you do not understand it. If you do not understand it, then you can do one or more of the following:
  • I do not understand, therefore I will...
    • ... learn more about what I don't understand so that I can understand
    • ... recognize the limits of my understanding and defer to others expertise
    • ... ignore what I don't understand because it doesn't matter to me or impact me
    • ... mock and belittle what I don't understand because it must be stupid
    • ... attack and destroy what I don't understand because it must be evil
On sexuality in general, I'm usually somewhere in the first three. I'm asexual - I really don't give two flips about someone's sexual orientation or phobias or whatever. I'll leave the discussion to others, but I have to have some understanding because it impacts my professional job (kids these days, I tell ya).
I am a much more pragmatic person.

I exclusively rely on Aristotelian logic.
I mean: more lesbians = more single men available. Very simple. Simple statistics and math.

So why should I hate gay people?

Do you know how many marriages terminate because a woman steals your husband from you?

Ignatius A

I disagree with the woke ideology too.
But homophobia is a different thing. It's when you think gay people should be ghettoized and live far away from the "straight" world.
Is that so?

How many people have you personally met that actually believe gay people should be "ghettoized" and live far away from the "straight" world?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
IMO its senseless.
A person cannot like or agree with something without fearing it.

Speaking of what manhood is...I think that this guy is a real man. Because he loves gays.
He basically says: more gays = more chicks available for him.

It's so rare to meet a straight and handsome guy like him who appreciates female beauty.

So he terminates saying: thank you gays for existing.

We Never Know

No Slack
Speaking of what manhood is...I think that this guy is a real man. Because he loves gays.
He basically says: more gays = more chicks available for him.

It's so rare to meet a straight and handsome guy like him who appreciates female beauty.

So he terminates saying: thank you gays for existing.

I suppose that's one way to look at it