• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does homophobia make sense?

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
I''m not attacking Bob. I don't fear Bob. I think its gross. I don't have to like what he does. That doesn't mean I don't like Bob.

If it was simply a question of what you do with your personal life and what bob does with his personal life, it wouldn't be an issue. Everyone knows it's not that simple, though. Hell, anti-sodomy laws have only been ruled unconstitutional since 2003. The scenario you present is disingenuous

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I can assure you that many heterosexual women have been hit on by lesbians...and it's not pleasant either.
And lesbians can be infinitely more clingy than gay men.

That said...I have noticed a shameful doublestandardism from straight men. They are bothered by the presence of two gay men holding hands, but they are aroused by the presence of two lesbians kissing.

I'd say this is utterly disgusting. :)
Two things,

As a male I can say women kissing each other is a sexual turn on. Most men would like a harem. We don't see it as exclusively lesbian.

Second I believe homophobia is a natural reaction. Life wants to create new life and should have a mechanism to maintain life creation. It is only through logic that homosexuality is acceptable.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Two things,

As a male I can say women kissing each other is a sexual turn on. Most men would like a harem. We don't see it as exclusively lesbian.
All right...but men forget that lesbians are not into men.

Whereas straight women are into men...so maybe they should focus on straight women.
Second I believe homophobia is a natural reaction. Life wants to create new life and should have a mechanism to maintain life creation. It is only through logic that homosexuality is acceptable.
I understand.
But honestly... the fact that Portia De Rossi is married to a woman...is a good thing for most women.

A rival less....LOL....
so it means two single men more...for me. ;)

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Patrizia De Blanck is considered one of the most beautiful women of the 20th century. She married a British aristocrat, but when she caught him in the bed with his best friend, she divorced him.
It is not pleasant...a woman wants his man to worship her and nobody else.

1601035097_de_blanck_2.jpg

Ignatius A

I would like to understand men's psyche.
It's absolutely the weirdest thing ever.

I have seen that several men find two men kissing gross, but then they are sexed up, they are turned on by two women kissing.

Honestly I find the image of a man aroused while watching lesbian stuff....incredibly gross.
:)

It's a very, very astounding contradiction...which means that it's a homophobia only towards gay men. Which can be the result of a unhealthy psychological development during puberty.
Lol

Are you sexually aroused by 2 women kissing?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Lol

Are you sexually aroused by 2 women kissing?
No...absolutely not.
The image makes me laugh..honestly.

I find it weird... because I would never do that.

But I find it incredibly grotesque that men are aroused by something like that, honestly. ;)

Ignatius A

No...absolutely not.
The image makes me laugh..honestly.

I find it weird... because I would never do that.

But I find it incredibly grotesque that men are aroused by something like that, honestly. ;)
So your thinking is that if men are aroused by 2 women kissing but not by 2 men kissing then that means they are homophobic?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
It's only an insult to people who perceive it as such. It's an ideology expressed in the behavior and attitude of people who are perpetually offended by everything. They are miserable, humorless and destroy anything thats decent. Its not an insult to accurately describe something. Would be an insult to call Hitler a genocidal murderer?

Good, then I am not woke. But I am still not like you.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
So your thinking is that if men are aroused by 2 women kissing but not by 2 men kissing then that means they are homophobic?
You really misread me.

I think it's absolutely normal that a heterosexual man can be grossed out by the image of two men kissing.

I do understand it because I am kinda weirded out by the image of two women kissing.
But that doesn't mean that I despise lesbians or that I think that lesbians should be ghettoized or be denied rights.

Homophobia is when you think that gay men should be ghettoized, or worse, hide.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Thank God!

Well, thank you, but you keep God to yourself, thank you very much.
I accept that you are religious and assume you accept I am not. So I won't take away from you that you are religious. I just don't want anything to do with it as me.
Note by religion I mean the standard folk understanding of it.

Ignatius A

You really misread me.

I think it's absolutely normal that a heterosexual man can be grossed out by the image of two men kissing.

I do understand it because I am kinda weirded out by the image of two women kissing.
But that doesn't mean that I despise lesbians or that I think that lesbians should be ghettoized or be denied rights.

Homophobia is when you think that gay men should be ghettoized, or worse, hide.
So it's normal that straight men don't want to see 2 men kissing.

I'm not sure then what relevance this has to your definition of homophobia. What amazes me is you claim to personally know lots of people who think gay people should be "ghettoized" and hide????? Whatever that means.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
I would like to understand men's psyche.
It's absolutely the weirdest thing ever.
Let me try to explain.
I have seen that several men find two men kissing gross, but then they are sexed up, they are turned on by two women kissing.

Honestly I find the image of a man aroused while watching lesbian stuff....incredibly gross.
:)

It's a very, very astounding contradiction...which means that it's a homophobia only towards gay men. Which can be the result of a unhealthy psychological development during puberty.

I am a heterosexual male. My body reacts positively to an attractive women. I would like to have sex with her. I do not have that reaction to a male.

If I see two males kissing, part of me imagines one of them doing it to me and I get a negative reaction. I have trained myself over the years to understand that they feel differently from me and that I don't need to fear them.

If I see two women kissing it's different. I find both of them attractive so there is no negative reaction. If I imagine one (or both) of them doing it to me, it feels good. That they are doing it to each other seems natural to me, after all they are both attractive, so why not be attracted to each other?

I'll set out a brief sketch of life regarding my attitude to gay males. As a teenager, I feared them touching me intimately, because it would be unwelcome and therefore scary. This never happened by the way. I would say that I was homophobic at that time. Later, I got to know a gay man as a friend and met a lot of his friends. Not one of them ever hit on me in any way. They knew I was straight and respected that. In general, they were a pretty nice bunch of people. I got so I could attend a party with them, with everyone drinking, and not feel a shred of fear. My attitude towards gays now is that they are just people who differ from me in one way, and that doesn't really affect me.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
If I see two women kissing it's different. I find both of them attractive so there is no negative reaction. If I imagine one (or both) of them doing it to me, it feels good. That they are doing it to each other seems natural to me, after all they are both attractive, so why not be attracted to each other?
This thread is about psychology.

You probably (your feminine side) put yourself in either woman's shoes kissing. And this arouses you...

I am just guessing...because if I see two women kissing, I imagine being either of them, and I feel like vomiting...honestly.
I don't want to sound homophobic, but I would never kiss a woman because even the idea makes me throw up.

So I do understand that straight men are grossed out by the idea of watching gay men making out in a park.

Once I saw two teenage girl kissing each other. I burst out laughing...and I walked along...
but they probably heard me laugh out loud and they must have felt guilty...poor them .

Last edited:

Ignatius A

Let me try to explain.

I am a heterosexual male. My body reacts positively to an attractive women. I would like to have sex with her. I do not have that reaction to a male.

If I see two males kissing, part of me imagines one of them doing it to me and I get a negative reaction. I have trained myself over the years to understand that they feel differently from me and that I don't need to fear them.

I'll set out a brief sketch of life regarding my attitude to gay males. As a teenager, I feared them touching me intimately, because it would be unwelcome and therefore scary. This never happened by the way. I would say that I was homophobic at that time. Later, I got to know a gay man as a friend and met a lot of his friends. Not one of them ever hit on me in any way. They knew I was straight and respected that. In general, they were a pretty nice bunch of people. I got so I could attend a party with them, with everyone drinking, and not feel a shred of fear. My attitude towards gays now is that they are just people who differ from me in one way, and that doesn't really affect me.
Your example doesn't go quite far enough though. The touching might be unwelcome and scary but the problem is what if the touching was "enjoyable". People fear what that might mean. I think this is especially a problem for men as men can get aroused by rubbing themselves against inanimate objects. So another man rubbing another mans intimate parts is likely to cause arousal. People would think that means they are gay. It doesn't.

Ignatius A

This thread is about psychology.

You probably (your feminine side) put yourself in either woman kissing. And this arouses you...

I am just guessing...because if I see two women kissing, I imagine being either of them, and I feel like vomiting...honestly.
I don't want to sound homophobic, but I would never kiss a woman because even the idea makes me throw up.

So I do understand that straight men are grossed out by the idea of watching gay men making out in a park.

Once I saw two teenage girl kissing each other. I burst out laughing...and I walked along...
but they probably heard me laugh out loud and they must have been felt badly...poor them .
I still don't see any connection between your reaction to 2 women kissing and homophobia. You keep bringing up your experience as if that matters.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I still don't see any connection between your reaction to 2 women kissing and homophobia. You keep bringing up your experience as if that matters.
Because homophobia is not what you think it is.
It is not being uncomfortable watching two gay people kissing.

It's preventing gay people from being in the same environment as you.

Ignatius A

Because homophobia is not what you think it is.
It is not being uncomfortable watching two gay people kissing.

It's preventing gay people from being in the same environment as you.
Please tell me what I think homophobia is.

Where and when have I done that? Is there ever a legitimate reason to not want some people in the same environment as you?