• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does might make right?

Agnostic75

No, you did try to justify God's actions by claiming that he is all-powerful and all-knowing. That implies that if he was not all-powerful and all-knowing, his actions would not be justified, meaning that you essentially said "God's actions are justified because he is all-powerful and all-knowing."

Kathryn said:
You keep saying this, as if repeating it over and over will make it true. This is not a logical statement and not only did I never say it, I never implied it, and I don't believe it. You conveniently ignored my opening statement earlier in the thread that addressed the utter holiness of God - and holiness and wisdom are the two most integral components of GOOD CHARACTER. I am in awe of God's HOLINESS and OMNIPOTENCE - not simply His "intelligence and athletic prowess."

What is "holiness"? If God was not holy, how would you be able to know that?

There is nothing admirable or awesome about omnipotence, which merely means all-powerful. There is not a necessary correlation between power and good character.

Why can't anyone other than God be holy?

Agnostic75

Message to Kathryn: One of the main reasons why I do not accept the Bible is because I am convinced that if a God inspired it, he would be able to achieve any fair, worthy, and just goal without injuring and killing humans and animals with hurricanes and other things. Do you have an example of a fair, worthy, and just goal that God would not be able to achieve without injuring and killing humans and animals with hurricanes and other things?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Why do you keep saying "message to Kathryn?" Just wondering. Seems superfluous.

I am sure that my dogs wonder why I allow the mean man at that scary place to stick them with needles. Like I've said repeatedly, God's omnipotence trumps my fist shaking in His face.

The difference between you and me is that you do not have faith in God's wisdom, and I do.

I don't see much sense in us debating this, because you will not be able to shake my confidence in God's omnipotent wisdom - which I cannot prove to you because it requires faith and submission to a higher Power.

Agnostic75

Kathryn said:
I don't see much sense in us debating this, because you will not be able to shake my confidence in God's omnipotent wisdom - which I cannot prove to you because it requires faith and submission to a higher Power.

Well, I thought that we were making progress. You said that God's holiness is part of why you accept him, and I asked you to define holiness, and to state how you would know if God was not holy. Regarding your claim that God is omnipotent, I told you that there is not a necessary correlation between power and good character. You ought to know that. Regarding good character, it is choices that matter the most, not power. I also told you that holiness is best proved by actions, not merely by declarations and assertions from the writers of ancient texts? I also asked you if you could state an example of a fair, worthy, and just goal that God would not be able to achieve without injuring and killing humans and animals with hurricanes.

Those are reasonable arguments, but if you do not wish to have any more discussions with me, that is fine. I just assumed that when you started making posts in this thread that you wanted to have some discussions. Perhaps you believe that you will have a better chance to convince some other skeptics to accept the Bible.

Mr Cheese

Well, I thought that we were making progress. You said that God's holiness is part of why you accept him, and I asked you to define holiness, and to state how you would know if God was not holy. Regarding your claim that God is omnipotent, I told you that there is not a necessary correlation between power and good character. You ought to know that. Regarding good character, it is choices that matter the most, not power. I also told you that holiness is best proved by actions, not merely by declarations and assertions from the writers of ancient texts? I also asked you if you could state an example of a fair, worthy, and just goal that God would not be able to achieve without injuring and killing humans and animals with hurricanes.

Those are reasonable arguments, but if you do not wish to have any more discussions with me, that is fine. I just assumed that when you started making posts in this thread that you wanted to have some discussions. Perhaps you believe that you will have a better chance to convince some other skeptics to accept the Bible.

why do you feel the need to start numerous threads which all amount to:

"I dont beleive in the bible, christianity or any of that, why do you? and I want to ridicule you, politely, if you do believe this or similarly"

?????????????

:facepalm:

Last edited:

Kathryn

What is "holiness"? If God was not holy, how would you be able to know that?

There is nothing admirable or awesome about omnipotence, which merely means all-powerful. There is not a necessary correlation between power and good character.

Why can't anyone other than God be holy?

holy
the power, being, or realm understood by religious persons to be at the core of existence and to have a transformative effect on their lives and destinies. Other terms, such as holy, divine, transcendent, ultimate being (or reality), mystery, and perfection (or purity) have been used for this domain. "Sacred" is also an important technical term in the scholarly study and interpretation of religions.

I believe that God is holy based on my life experiences, my observations, my studies, and my faith.

I did not say that there is a correlation between power and good character. In the case of God, I believe the two traits are both part of His nature, but that doesn't mean that's the case across the board.

I also believe that we can strive to be holy, and that many of our actions and motives can be holy. We can embody holiness to some degree. But I believe that man has a basically selfish nature and that pure holiness is not possible without God's grace.

Kathryn

I also told you that holiness is best proved by actions, not merely by declarations and assertions from the writers of ancient texts?

You don't need to tell me that. It's common sense, and I got me some of that.

I also asked you if you could state an example of a fair, worthy, and just goal that God would not be able to achieve without injuring and killing humans and animals with hurricanes.

And I answered that challenge with the example of my dogs - that they do not understand - and probably never WILL understand - why I sometimes hurt them for their own good. From their limited perspective, they cannot see the full picture. They can bark "Why? Why? Why?" all day long and it won't do much good - but that won't change the fact that I love them dearly and am always working with their best interests at heart, whether they understand or believe that or not.

Can't you see the correlation?

Agnostic75

Kathryn said:
Holiness - the power, being, or realm understood by religious persons to be at the core of existence and to have a transformative effect on their lives and destinies. Other terms, such as holy, divine, transcendent, ultimate being (or reality), mystery, and perfection (or purity) have been used for this domain. "Sacred" is also an important technical term in the scholarly study and interpretation of religions.

Holiness is as holiness does. In other words, holiness is best proven by actions, not by assertions. I am convinced that a God would be achieve to achieve any fair, worthy, and just goal without injuring and killing humans and innocent animals with hurricanes. A mere assertion that God is holy is not an adequate rebuttal to my arguments. In addition, any follower of any religion could use your arguments. Followers of many religions claim to have many wonderful, life changing experiences. When I was a Christian, I thought that I had had some wonderful, life changing experiences, but now I know that what I experienced was based upon false claims.

God withholds evidence that would convince more people to accept him, including the same kinds of evidence that he provided for many people during the time of Jesus. Playing favorites is not fair and just. No man can morally be sent to hell for refusing to accept evidence that he would accept if he was aware of it. God also plays favorites regarding gender since women tend to accept theism more than men do. God also plays favorites regarding geography since the largest precentages of Christians are in countries that are predominantly Christian. God also play favorites regarding age since elderly people are much less likely to change their worldview than younger people are. You propose the existence of a God who wants people to hear the Gospel message, but only if another person tells them about it, unless you have evidence that he tells people about the Gospel message himself. In addition, you propose the existence of a God who wants people to have enough food to eat, but only if they are able to obtain it through human effort, unless you have evidence that God gives people food himself.

Of course, if the God of the Bible does not exist, that easily explains that evidence.

Agnostic75

Kathryn said:
And I answered that challenge with the example of my dogs - that they do not understand - and probably never WILL understand - why I sometimes hurt them for their own good. From their limited perspective, they cannot see the full picture. They can bark "Why? Why? Why?" all day long and it won't do much good - but that won't change the fact that I love them dearly and am always working with their best interests at heart, whether they understand or believe that or not.

If you physically abused your dog, which would be cruel and against the law, he would not understand, but you would be at fault.

If God chooses to kill people with hurricanes, why do Christians ask God to protect them from himself?

Mr Cheese

If you physically abused your dog, which would be cruel and against the law, he would not understand, but you would be at fault.

If God chooses to kill people with hurricanes, why do Christians ask God to protect them from himself?

• stupidity?
  • maybe they dont worry about that bit of the bible
  • ever hear of metaphor?
  • they like living in fear
  • Dinosaurs ruled the earth once

Agnostic75

Kathryn said:
God doesn't need justification.

Agnostic75 said:
No, you did try to justify God's actions by claiming that he is all-powerful and all-knowing. That implies that if he was not all-powerful and all-knowing, his actions would not be justified, meaning that you essentially said "God's actions are justified because he is all-powerful and all-knowing."

Kathryn said:
You keep saying this, as if repeating it over and over will make it true. This is not a logical statement and not only did I never say it, I never implied it, and I don't believe it. You conveniently ignored my opening statement earlier in the thread that addressed the utter holiness of God - and holiness and wisdom are the two most integral components of GOOD CHARACTER. I am in awe of God's HOLINESS and OMNIPOTENCE - not simply His "intelligence and athletic prowess."

[Holiness is] the power, being, or realm understood by religious persons to be at the core of existence and to have a transformative effect on their lives and destinies. Other terms, such as holy, divine, transcendent, ultimate being (or reality), mystery, and perfection (or purity) have been used for this domain. "Sacred" is also an important technical term in the scholarly study and interpretation of religions.

I believe that God is holy based on my life experiences, my observations, my studies, and my faith.

But you are still trying to justify God's actions. "All-knowing," "omnipotent," and "holy" are all justifications for God's actions. If you believed that God did not have those attributes, you would not claim that he does not need justification. You have clearly made a case that God's attributes justify what he does, but that doesn't work. If God sends everyone to hell, he would be a liar, but wouldn't he still be holy, all-powerful, and all-knowing? If not, why not? Surely the main issue for you is your own personal self-interest, not who God really is, and not whether or not he created the universe. You would gladly accept a comfortable eternal life from any being, perfect or imperfect, whether he was a God, an alien, or a human, as long as he was able to provide you with a comfortable eternal life, assuming that you died, your spirit and consciousness survived, and the God of the Bible did not show up.

As far as "have a transformative effect on their lives and destinies," you ought to know that followers of many other religions have made the same claim. I remember a testimony that I read decades ago from a female member of the Baha'i religion. She said that when she was shopping for a worldview, she came into contact with some Christians. She said that the Christians did not have good character, and did not treat her like she wanted to be treated, and that she later made contact with some members of the Baha'i religion who treated her very well. She said that she became a member of the Baha'i religion and had some wonderful, transformative spiritual experiences. You would not be in a position to judge her honesty and integrity, the validity of her spiritual experiences, and her desire to know the truth.

If a God inspired the Bible, he withholds evidence that would convince more people to accept him if they were aware of it. Morally, no man can be sent to hell for refusing to accept evidence that he would accept if he was aware of it, but because of your own personal self-interest, you endorse God's plan to send many people to hell for eternity without parole. Please be advised that nothing could be more unmerciful than sending people to hell for eternity without parole.

Consider the following Scriptures:

Matthew 26:24

"The Son of man goeth as it is written of him: but woe unto that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! it had been good for that man if he had not been born."

Revelation 9:1-6

"And the fifth angel sounded, and I saw a star fall from heaven unto the earth: and to him was given the key of the bottomless pit. And he opened the bottomless pit; and there arose a smoke out of the pit, as the smoke of a great furnace; and the sun and the air were darkened by reason of the smoke of the pit. And there came out of the smoke locusts upon the earth: and unto them was given power, as the scorpions of the earth have power. And it was commanded them that they should not hurt the grass of the earth, neither any green thing, neither any tree; but only those men which have not the seal of God in their foreheads. And to them it was given that they should not kill them, but that they should be tormented five months: and their torment was as the torment of a scorpion, when he striketh a man. And in those days shall men seek death, and shall not find it; and shall desire to die, and death shall flee from them."

Revelation 14:8-11

"And there followed another angel, saying, Babylon is fallen, is fallen, that great city, because she made all nations drink of the wine of the wrath of her fornication.
And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand, The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb: And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name."

Surely a loving God did not inspire those Scriptures. The best explanation is that hateful Bible writers wanted God to get even with their enemies, and made up stories that said that God would punish their enemies. Those texts do not necessarily have to be deliberate lies. They might be innocent but inaccurate revealtions. Over the centuries, many theists of many religions have had innocent but inaccurate revelations.

Old Testament prophecies are the same same situation. The Tyre prophecy is a good example. Ezekiel was jealous of Tyre's wealth, and wanted God to punish Tyre. Consider the following Scriptures:

Ezekiel 26:2-3

"Son of man, because that Tyrus hath said against Jerusalem, Aha, she is broken that was the gates of the people: she is turned unto me: I shall be replenished, now she is laid waste: Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I am against thee, O Tyrus, and will cause many nations to come up against thee, as the sea causeth his waves to come up."

That was Ezekiel's anger, not God's anger. If God had been angry with Tyre, it is doubtful that he would have taken centuries to defeat Tyre. Alexander finally defeated the island part of Tyre centuries after the Trye prophecy was written.

Ezekiel says that God would give Egypt to Nebuchadnezzar as a compensation for his failure to defeat Tyre. There are not any historical records that indicate that that happened. In addition, historical records do not indicate that the Ten Plagues in Egypt occured. If the Ten Plagues in Egypt occured, they would easily have been the biggest news stories in the entire world. The stories would have spread all over the Middle East and beyond. Historians would have recorded the strories. Egypt would have ceased to be a major power in the Middle East.

Obviously, the Bible is not a trustworthy source of information.

Mr Cheese

[/i]

they why quote it and discuss it on and on and on in many threads?

You don't beleive in the bible...

great

I don't believe in the book of mormon, but I don't feel the need to post multiple threads pointing out why.

Why on earth do you feel the need to do so?

I Am

That's funny. While Nietzsche rejected Christianity and the Bible, herein is presented an almost Nietzschean view espoused in the very book which he so heavily criticized. Perhaps God has the Will to Power?

Agnostic75

Agnostic75 said:

Mr Cheese said:
Then why quote it and discuss it on and on and on in many threads?

Because fundamentalist Christians frequently try to legistlate the Bible. If fundamentalist Christians stopped trying to trample upon the rights of other groups of people, I would stop debating the Bible.

Why do many Christian apologists frequently discuss the Koran? Obviously, partly because they want to convert Muslims to Christianity, and because they believe that Islam is a threat. If Muslims were to become the majority in the U.S., they would try to legislate the Koran, and fundamentalist Christians would object to that. If Muslims became the majority in the U.S., I would mainly be debating the Koran, not the Bible.

Mr Cheese

Because fundamentalist Christians frequently try to legistlate the Bible. If fundamentalist Christians stopped trying to trample upon the rights of other groups of people, I would stop debating the Bible.

Why do many Christian apologists frequently discuss the Koran? Obviously, partly because they want to convert Muslims to Christianity, and because they believe that Islam is a threat. If Muslims were to become the majority in the U.S., they would try to legislate the Koran, and fundamentalist Christians would object to that. If Muslims became the majority in the U.S., I would mainly be debating the Koran, not the Bible.

ah you're mighty mouse.....

here to save the day!

:areyoucra I win a cookie for this thread then

Ironically, in all your threads....thus far

I think less than 3 fundamentalists from the forum have even bothered to address you

Last edited:

Mr Cheese

That's funny. While Nietzsche rejected Christianity and the Bible, herein is presented an almost Nietzschean view espoused in the very book which he so heavily criticized. Perhaps God has the Will to Power?

How so? please explain?

I havent read a great deal of Nietzsche, I find him too depressing....
also the fact he was declared insane at the end...as an indication of his worth

but I would be interested in your explanation

Mr Cheese

I was tempted to say that you are mighty mouth, but I am a gentleman.
you're the one preaching to invisible fundamentalists....

you'll find the vast majority you have thus far address do not fit the demographic your "wrath" is focused upon

as such you are like a man teaching young women how to wear jock straps...:facepalm: