• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does prayer work?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
IMO prayer does not work in any common meaning of the word "works." Do you think it does? If so, what do you mean when you say that prayer works?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
It depends on what you're praying to. I don't believe that God answers prayers, but I do believe deities (which, in my theology, are just different forms of life, not God) MIGHT be able to, depending on the deity and what you're praying for.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
IMO prayer does not work in any common meaning of the word "works." Do you think it does? If so, what do you mean when you say that prayer works?

I use prayer to try to understand God and our world a bit better; I feel a definite "wash of emotion" (it's the only way I can put it - I feel a wave of energy coming from above, through the crown chakra); I understand it as God's love, and his confirmation that I am "on the right track".

Ringer

Jar of Clay
I guess it all depends on what you're hoping your prayers acheive. If you're looking into strengthening a relationship with God - it will work. If you're asking for something that is in line with God's purpose for you - your prayer will be answered. If you're asking to become rich so that you can do all of the things you've dreamed - unless God thinks you need that to become a better disciple of his - probably not. The problem people have with prayer is that they presume that God should answer a certain way because that is what's best for us. The Bible is clear, the one who asks in faith, with the right intentions, and is not contrary to God's will, their prayers will be answered. Howerver, prayer isn't always about me, me, me.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Ringer and Michel raise a good point. If your practice of prayer is more contemplative, seeking to understand or commune with God, as opposed to asking for favors, I believe that works. I'd personally label it meditation, though.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Ringer and Michel raise a good point. If your practice of prayer is more contemplative, seeking to understand or commune with God, as opposed to asking for favors, I believe that works. I'd personally label it meditation, though.

I can never ask for personal favours - maybe I am wrong . I agree that my prayer is more of a meditational sort..............

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
My cousin once said he didn't believe in God because he prayed for a car and one didn't just appear. We told him God doesn't work that way, that instead God would find a way for him to get a job that would allow him to afford a car. That is what some people expect, sudden results. It doesn't work that way. Besides, God's will be done.

Adib

Lover of World Religions
I guess it all depends on what you're hoping your prayers acheive. If you're looking into strengthening a relationship with God - it will work. If you're asking for something that is in line with God's purpose for you - your prayer will be answered. If you're asking to become rich so that you can do all of the things you've dreamed - unless God thinks you need that to become a better disciple of his - probably not. The problem people have with prayer is that they presume that God should answer a certain way because that is what's best for us.

This is exactly how Baha'is view prayer - great explanation! :)

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I guess it all depends on what you're hoping your prayers acheive. If you're looking into strengthening a relationship with God - it will work.
Whether God exists or not.
If you're asking for something that is in line with God's purpose for you - your prayer will be answered.
aka whatever was going to happen anyway.
If you're asking to become rich so that you can do all of the things you've dreamed - unless God thinks you need that to become a better disciple of his - probably not. The problem people have with prayer is that they presume that God should answer a certain way because that is what's best for us. The Bible is clear, the one who asks in faith, with the right intentions, and is not contrary to God's will, their prayers will be answered. Howerver, prayer isn't always about me, me, me.
Or, to put it differently, they expect prayer to work in the normal usage of the word, that is, to have some effect on the world outside the person praying.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
It depends on what you're praying to. I don't believe that God answers prayers, but I do believe deities (which, in my theology, are just different forms of life, not God) MIGHT be able to, depending on the deity and what you're praying for.
Such as what?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I use prayer to try to understand God and our world a bit better;
How?
I feel a definite "wash of emotion" (it's the only way I can put it - I feel a wave of energy coming from above, through the crown chakra); I understand it as God's love, and his confirmation that I am "on the right track".
I think most people who pray or meditate effectively feel something like this (which is wonderful and beneficial) I question though your assumption that it means you are "on the right track" conceptually. I mean, yes, on the right track in terms of your own right attitude, but not on the right track in terms of knowledge.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
So when the Bible tells us that prayer can bring actual results in the real world, what does that mean, and is it true?

[FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Matt 21:22: "And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.
etc.
[/FONT]

A

angellous_evangellous

I believe that the purpose of prayer is to unite our hearts with the heart of God. The heart of God is the boundless love of God which is accessible only by a daring surrender to the hope that God is good despite whatever we think God to be.

Yes, I must say that it does work.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Oh, good, you are online. I thought I'd have to wait. :)
What deities,
Well, for instance, I have no trouble believing that the Abrahamic God started out as such a life form. Not sure He still exists, though.

and what kinds of prayer do they grant?
Whatever is both within their power, and suits their whims.

Did that answer your questions, or would you like more detail?

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Praying for meditation workd if you feel better for it,

Prayer to god does not, it only works if we tell ourselves that God is granting us fortune.