• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does prayer work?

Inky

I don't think that prayer affects the likelihood that any event will or won't happen, but I do think it's a legitimate form of meditation in that you can get a sense of calmness, joy, or spiritual wholeness out of it.

Sui

You know what, I like this question. Especially since I'm not 100% sure how to answer :D

On the personal level...prayers definitely work, for both our mental and physical health.

On more outward terms, prayers aren't always going to be clear as day. I know that's not what you're saying, but I'm just speaking generally. So, you have to look for God's responses. Here's something insightful I came across once:

I asked for strength and God gave me difficulties to make me strong.
I asked for wisdom and God gave me problems to solve.
I asked for prosperity and God gave me brains and brawn to work.
I asked for courage and God gave me dangers to overcome.
I asked for patience and God placed me in situations where I was forced to wait.
I asked for love and God gave me troubled people to help.
I asked for favors and God gave me opportunities.
I received nothing I wanted.
I received everything I needed.

We're given things that we don't ask for, but in the long run are better for us. And if we happen to ask for materialistic things, then it depends (as Ringer said) if it's in God's plan. Will that thing we want help us or hurt us down the road? So, I strongly feel that prayer works...perhaps it's just not always obvious.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Oh, good, you are online. I thought I'd have to wait. :)

Well, for instance, I have no trouble believing that the Abrahamic God started out as such a life form. Not sure He still exists, though.

Whatever is both within their power, and suits their whims.

Did that answer your questions, or would you like more detail?

Much more detail. Is there anything that we can see or perceive that any deity actually grants in response to prayer?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
You know what, I like this question. Especially since I'm not 100% sure how to answer :D

On the personal level...prayers definitely work, for both our mental and physical health.

On more outward terms, prayers aren't always going to be clear as day. I know that's not what you're saying, but I'm just speaking generally. So, you have to look for God's responses. Here's something insightful I came across once:

I asked for strength and God gave me difficulties to make me strong.
I asked for wisdom and God gave me problems to solve.
I asked for prosperity and God gave me brains and brawn to work.
I asked for courage and God gave me dangers to overcome.
I asked for patience and God placed me in situations where I was forced to wait.
I asked for love and God gave me troubled people to help.
I asked for favors and God gave me opportunities.
I received nothing I wanted.
I received everything I needed.

We're given things that we don't ask for, but in the long run are better for us. And if we happen to ask for materialistic things, then it depends (as Ringer said) if it's in God's plan. Will that thing we want help us or hurt us down the road? So, I strongly feel that prayer works...perhaps it's just not always obvious.

And doesn't the exact same thing happen without prayer as well? Doesn't an atheist who doesn't pray receive difficulties, problems, brains, brawn, dangers, situations that require waiting, troubled people and opportunities?

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
What? Specifically, does it produce any result that can be observed in the world outside the person praying?
It keeps me from anger and animosity toward those that question and confound my beliefs. If you ever saw me throw a fit you could see how prayer works. ;)
People would pray just to shut up this crazy red head's rant.

Last edited:

Sui

And doesn't the exact same thing happen without prayer as well? Doesn't an atheist who doesn't pray receive difficulties, problems, brains, brawn, dangers, situations that require waiting, troubled people and opportunities?

Of course, everyone has such things. Generally a believer in God is no better than a non-believer, nor vice versa. I believe the only real meaningful difference between people is our intentions and the actions that follow them.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Of course, everyone has such things. Generally a believer in God is no better than a non-believer, nor vice versa. I believe the only real meaningful difference between people is our intentions and the actions that follow them.

The thread is about prayer, not believers vs. non.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Much more detail. Is there anything that we can see or perceive that any deity actually grants in response to prayer?
Well, I think the standard example is curing cancer ;)

Mind, I'm not saying it's a reliable method, but I do believe it's possible.

Sui

The thread is about prayer, not believers vs. non.

I realize that and I don't intend to change the direction of this thread. But when you make a point about Atheists getting dealt the same things in life as believers, then I felt it necessary to mention that I agree with you.

What I'm trying to say overall is that prayer is something valuable on a personal level.

Heneni

Miss Independent
I find the article...especially the part where people who know that people are 'praying' for them are more likely to suffer complications funny.

How about saying you will pray for someone, when they have lied about what is wrong?

You will find that there are people wihtout scrupples who will tell you that they are in a terrible state, and that they have the worst kind of problems ....and the next thing they have people praying for them, when there is actually nothing much wrong to start with.:rolleyes:

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Well, I think the standard example is curing cancer ;)

Mind, I'm not saying it's a reliable method, but I do believe it's possible.

So then if people prayed for people with cancer (following your prescribed methods and object of prayer) those people would recover at a higher rate than if not prayed for?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
So then if people prayed for people with cancer (following your prescribed methods and object of prayer) those people would recover at a higher rate than if not prayed for?
Not necessarily. Even if you pray to the right entity, even if it's within said entity's power, it's still dependent on the deity's whim.

Besides, I don't think most modern prayers go to deities. The concept of God has evolved beyond them.

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
I have read several articles including medical journals where people who have some degree of faith in God or some religious affiliation tend to heal faster and have a better prognosis than unbelievers. Having a positive attitude helps with the healing process. Faith and prayer re-enforce a positive attitude.

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
When I used to attend church, the pastor gave us a foolproof formula: Prayer works 100% of the time. The answers are "yes", "no", or "not now".

I think he meant "Shut up with all the questions." ;)

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I have read several articles including medical journals where people who have some degree of faith in God or some religious affiliation tend to heal faster and have a better prognosis than unbelievers. Having a positive attitude helps with the healing process. Faith and prayer re-enforce a positive attitude.

Yes, in many ways prayer has been shown to benefit the person praying. It does not benefit a person, or thing, prayed for.