• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Satan Exist?

Does Satan Exist?

• Total voters

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Does Satan exist? If so, how do you know that Satan exists? If not, why not?

Sonic247

Satan definately exist, what the bible says about him fits what is happening in the world, but like God I have faith he exists I can't actually see him just his effects, like if you look out the window and see trees blowing you assume there is wind.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
I voted "depends." Allow me to explain. Satan as a literal being does not exist. Satan exists as a universal principle (Satanism) and as an invisible boogey man. To the Satanist, Satan represents indulgance and individualism. To the followers of Abrahamic religions, Satan is the demon who turns you away from the true path. If a person questions his beliefs (maybe they aren't making sense) it is the Devil tricking them and they need to strengthen their faith. Satan may not literally exist, but he is very much alive as an abstract concept.

Sonic said:
Satan definately exist, what the bible says about him fits what is happening in the world, but like God I have faith he exists I can't actually see him just his effects, like if you look out the window and see trees blowing you assume there is wind.

Mind telling us what these effects are and why they have to be the work of a supernatural Satan?

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Satan is one of the few entities that I don't believe to exist, he may exist in the minds of others, but beyond that, I don't.

Sonic247

Mind telling us what these effects are and why they have to be the work of a supernatural Satan?

People imitate his character (pride,wrath) when there is no rational reason to. They hate Jesus although their is no reason to. They are blinded as to what is true and what isn't. They believe his first lie- "ye shall be as God's," they destroy themselves and even the people they care about. Also in my own personal life I see that Satan knows what is most effective and has the right strategy to mess me up, he knows what peoples weaknesses are. Like I said there is faith involved, but even nonchristians will say, the biggest trick the devil ever played was convincing people he doesn't exist.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
Sonic said:
People imitate his character (pride,wrath) when there is no rational reason to. They hate Jesus although their is no reason to. They are blinded as to what is true and what isn't. They believe his first lie- "ye shall be as God's," they destroy themselves and even the people they care about. Also in my own personal life I see that Satan knows what is most effective and has the right strategy to mess me up, he knows what peoples weaknesses are. Like I said there is faith involved, but even nonchristians will say, the biggest trick the devil ever played was convincing people he doesn't exist.

Well, considering humans have existed before your Scriptures were written it is not surprising that bad characteristics exist and that people do bad things, and that men transcribed these bad qualitites onto their evil personified.

As far as hating Jesus goes, I can see how people get upset when he says it is good that his Father will torture people for all eternity. Maybe you don't see that as evil, but I do. I can't convince you it is pure evil, just as it would be virtually impossible to convince a proud murderer it is wrong to kill.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Native American.
Cheorkee in particualr but with influences from other Nations particularly those of the North East

wa:do

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I voted "depends." Allow me to explain. Satan as a literal being does not exist. Satan exists as a universal principle (Satanism) and as an invisible boogey man. To the Satanist, Satan represents indulgance and individualism. To the followers of Abrahamic religions, Satan is the demon who turns you away from the true path. If a person questions his beliefs (maybe they aren't making sense) it is the Devil tricking them and they need to strengthen their faith. Satan may not literally exist, but he is very much alive as an abstract concept.

Good question
icon14.gif

"Others"

Exists as an allegory or metaphor

The thing is it doesn't really matter if Satan and the fallen angels are real entities or if they're just mean't to represent our own personal "demons"--pride, anger, denial--the effect is the same and the solution is the same; facing our demons and taking their power over us away by getting in touch with reality, ie, truth.

All the great historical religious figures were practicing psychology;

The Buddha was a behaviorist.

There are Jungian themes running all through the Tao Te Ching.

Jesus I suppose could be compared to a Freudian, ie, subconcious guilt is the problem, (self)forgiveness is the solution.

Mercy Not Sacrifice

Does Satan exist?

AFAIK, no.

If so, how do you know that Satan exists?

How does anyone know that he/she/it does?

If not, why not?

Reasonable doubt. That means lack of evidence, mainly. Also, the notion of having an embodiment of pure evil, while passable symbolically, sounds quite silly if not downright superstitious. That, and the idea threatens to be riddled with logical and philosophical inconsistencies: How can a being's every move be completely evil, even if evil is an all-encompassing absolute?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Yes, Satan exists in many contexts: as a personification of "evil," as a principle that glorifies self-identity, as all the things we identify as "wrong" with the world, as temptation, as satisfaction, as desire, etc.

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
The thing is it doesn't really matter if Satan and the fallen angels are real entities or if they're just mean't to represent our own personal "demons"--
That's true unless there's an afterlife that looks the way certain religions depict it.

Popeyesays

Whoi is satan or what are you talking about?

If you mean SATAN, Prince of Darkness--then, no.

Regards,
Scott