• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Satan have ANY good in him?

crystalonyx

There is no god, satan, demons, spirits, ghosts, fairies or the like, but for some people , it's fun to think about them.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
So, do the Christians here think he's PURE evil? Moderately evil? Missunderstood? A bit of a git?
Satan has even less good in him than the president of the company I work for, and that's pretty much none.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
ironangel said:
Isa 14:11 Thy pomp (pride) is brought down to the grave, and the noise of thy viols: the worm is spread under thee, and the worms cover thee.
Isa 14:12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!
Isa 14:13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:
Isa 14:14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.
Isa 14:15 Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.

This is speaking about the King of Babylon, not an angel. Unless, you want to admit that Heaven is above the clouds.

I think Satan only killed ten people and God has about twenty million homicides on His head. Satan is much nicer than God. Satan tempts us to enjoy our lives instead of living in fear of God's punishment. Satan is freedom and power.

rojse

RF Addict
I found this to be interesting:

Dwindling In Unbelief: How many has God killed?

God apparently killed 2,270,971 in the bible that are given a direct number. The calculation did not include events such as Noah's flood, the first-born Egyptians, Sodom, and so forth, because there was no number to use to calculate.

Satan, on the other hand, only killed ten people in his bet with God in regards to Job, so he shares those deaths with God.

Some people believe that without Satan and threat of Hell, there'd be no reason to be with God and do good.
Satan is not the ruler of hell, Satan will be suffering in hell just like everyone else who is there. Hell was made by God to punish those who continue in evil. And no, Satan does not have any good in him. He knows his fate and is basically just trying to take as many people with him as he can. Misery loves company.

Francine

And no, Satan does not have any good in him. He knows his fate and is basically just trying to take as many people with him as he can. Misery loves company.

Why does not Satan avail himself of the forgiveness of an allegedly just and merciful God?

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
And no, Satan does not have any good in him. He knows his fate and is basically just trying to take as many people with him as he can. Misery loves company.

“You’re mistaken. His sin is not that he doesn’t know good, it is that he does know. His sin is not that he lives in the darkness, but that he lives in the light. His sin is not that he is not, it is that he is. Were it not for these reasons, then he would not be His
antithesis.

Why does not Satan avail himself of the forgiveness of an allegedly just and merciful God?
Because he doesn't want it. The Bible says that Satan was once the mightiest of all angels but he eventually decided that he wasn't content with being second best and tried to overthrow God. The Bible doesn't go into any detail as to if or why Satan thought he could succeed, but he obviously failed as was cast out of Heaven. Satan had full knowledge of what he was doing, so had he had any remorse for his actions then he would have never done it in the first place.

gnostic

The Lost One
ratioinative said:
The Bible says that Satan was once the mightiest of all angels but he eventually decided that he wasn't content with being second best and tried to overthrow God.
The bible says nothing about him being an angel, let alone the the "mightiest of all angels". His fall is not given at all in the OT.

And please don't quote me Isaiah, because the Son of Morning or Lucifer, because that passage refer to the prophecy of king of Babylon. Lucifer is never used, except through Jerome's translation.

Satan's fall was never recorded until after the Exile, perhaps as early as 3rd century BC, when Satan was being re-cast from faithful servant of God in Job, to the evil angel because of Zoroastrian and Hellenistic influences, taking shape in the Book of Enoch. The infancy of Christianity was influenced by this late change to Judaism.

The bible says nothing about him being an angel, let alone the the "mightiest of all angels". His fall is not given at all in the OT.

And please don't quote me Isaiah, because the Son of Morning or Lucifer, because that passage refer to the prophecy of king of Babylon. Lucifer is never used, except through Jerome's translation.

Satan's fall was never recorded until after the Exile, perhaps as early as 3rd century BC, when Satan was being re-cast from faithful servant of God in Job, to the evil angel because of Zoroastrian and Hellenistic influences, taking shape in the Book of Enoch. The infancy of Christianity was influenced by this late change to Judaism.

Ezekiel 28 clearly describes Satan, saying "You were in Eden, the garden of God.". There's a very finite number of beings this could be referring to. Both Ezekiel 28 and Isaiah 14 describe a proud and boastful being trying to overthrow God.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Ezekiel 28 clearly describes Satan, saying "You were in Eden, the garden of God.". There's a very finite number of beings this could be referring to. Both Ezekiel 28 and Isaiah 14 describe a proud and boastful being trying to overthrow God.
How do you get:
"mightiest of all angels"
"a proud and boastful being trying to overthrow God"

So much for the "clearly"...
Isiah 14 is talking about Babylon.
More specifically the KING of Babylon.
So unless you are claiming that the King of Babylon is Lucifer, the devil, or the satan...

Eze 28:12-14
Son of man, take up a lamentation upon the king of Tyrus, and say unto him, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Thou sealest up the sum, full of wisdom, and perfect in beauty.
Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created.
Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire.
Now you claim that luicifer/the devil/the satan is the king of Tyrus...
He really gets around.

gnostic

The Lost One
ratioinative said:
Ezekiel 28 clearly describes Satan, saying "You were in Eden, the garden of God.".
These are metaphors for the king of Tyre (28:11). Read the whole chapter, and you will see it speak metaphorically of 28:11-19 (which is where you got about Eden and the cherub), and then the next section speak of the king of Sidon (Ez. 28:20-23).

Anyway, what ever the reason, Satan was God's pal at one point, so Satan obviously knew/knows what love is and obviously had a heart. So, do the Christians here think he's PURE evil? Moderately evil? Misunderstood? A bit of a git?
Satan was never "God's pal", he was an angel. I do not believe any person or angel or anything else can BE evil. Evil is a force, if you will.

He carries out commands by God to the letter. When God told him to whack Job's servants and children, but leave Job himself unharmed, he did exactly that. When God told him to make Job covered with sores, but make sure he didn't actually kill Job, Satan did exactly that.
Huh? Satan continually disobeys God's Word and God NEVER instructed satan to cover Job with sores! :eek:

Francine

Huh? Satan continually disobeys God's Word and God NEVER instructed satan to cover Job with sores! :eek:

Please provide one verse from the bible indicating Satan's disobedience from God's Word, other than hearsay (i.e. not men calling Satan a liar but Satan actually lying).

As for Job chapter 2:

[4] And Satan answered the LORD, and said, Skin for skin, yea, all that a man hath will he give for his life.
[5] But put forth thine hand now, and touch his bone and his flesh, and he will curse thee to thy face.
[6] And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, he is in thine hand; but save his life.
[7] So went Satan forth from the presence of the LORD, and smote Job with sore boils from the sole of his foot unto his crown.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Satan makes us do all sorts of things that bring us happiness -- such as masturbation and buying expensive, very fashionable dresses. "The Devil made me do it!"