• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Satan have ANY good in him?

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
Sunstone said:
Satan makes us do all sorts of things that bring us happiness -- such as masturbation and buying expensive, very fashionable dresses. "The Devil made me do it!"

Do not forget about oral and anal sex.

Popeyesays

Satan is the guy that makes us eat that last slice of cake even though we know we shouldn't.

Satan isn't an entity in the first place.

It never stands separate from a person. For every person who ever lived there was a satan within him or her. Its a metaphor for our baser nature.

Regards,
Scott
So, yeah, "satan" makes us eat the cake, but its because we WANT to eat the cake.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
Popeyesays said:
Satan isn't an entity in the first place.

It never stands separate from a person. For every person who ever lived there was a satan within him or her. Its a metaphor for our baser nature.

I have never seen my baser nature kill my entire family or taunt me in a desert.

Popeyesays

I have never seen my baser nature kill my entire family or taunt me in a desert.

How about some other person's baser nature?

"Therefore every man must be an investigator for himself. Ideas and beliefs left by his fathers and ancestors as a heritage will not suffice, for adherence to these are but imitations and imitations have ever been a cause of disappointment and misguidance. Be investigators of reality, that you may attain the verity of truth and life. You have asked why it was necessary for the soul that was from God to make this journey back to God. Would you like to understand the reality of this question just as I teach it or do you wish to hear it as the world teaches it?--for if I should answer you according to the latter way, this would be but imitation and would not make the subject clear. The reality underlying this question is that the evil spirit, Satan or whatever is interpreted as evil, refers to the lower nature in man. This baser nature is symbolized in various ways. In man there are two expressions, one is the expression of nature, the other the expression of the spiritual realm. The world of nature is defective. Look at it clearly, casting aside all superstition and imagination. If you should leave a man uneducated and barbarous in the wilds of Africa, would there be any doubt about his remaining ignorant? God has never created an evil spirit; all such ideas and nomenclature are symbols expressing the mere human or earthly nature of man. It is an essential condition of the soil of earth that thorns, weeds and fruitless trees may grow from it."

Regards,
Scott

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
Popeyesays said:
How about some other person's baser nature?

"Therefore every man must be an investigator for himself. Ideas and beliefs left by his fathers and ancestors as a heritage will not suffice, for adherence to these are but imitations and imitations have ever been a cause of disappointment and misguidance. Be investigators of reality, that you may attain the verity of truth and life. You have asked why it was necessary for the soul that was from God to make this journey back to God. Would you like to understand the reality of this question just as I teach it or do you wish to hear it as the world teaches it?--for if I should answer you according to the latter way, this would be but imitation and would not make the subject clear. The reality underlying this question is that the evil spirit, Satan or whatever is interpreted as evil, refers to the lower nature in man. This baser nature is symbolized in various ways. In man there are two expressions, one is the expression of nature, the other the expression of the spiritual realm. The world of nature is defective. Look at it clearly, casting aside all superstition and imagination. If you should leave a man uneducated and barbarous in the wilds of Africa, would there be any doubt about his remaining ignorant? God has never created an evil spirit; all such ideas and nomenclature are symbols expressing the mere human or earthly nature of man. It is an essential condition of the soil of earth that thorns, weeds and fruitless trees may grow from it."

This view is more healthy than believing a fallen angel runs around the earth changing the electrical impulses in people's brains. :yes:

GabrielWithoutWings

There is one belief system where the Shaitan is reconciled to God. That would be the Yezidis of Kurdistan.

Similar to the Islamic account of creation, God commanded all creatures to bow to Adam, and Shaitan and the jinn refused.

In the Yezidi version, it is explained that God had commanded Melek T'aus to bow to no one but Him. So, when told to bow to Adam he refused.

They worked it out, and Melek T'aus became Lord of the Earth (Lord of this world).

Why does not Satan avail himself of the forgiveness of an allegedly just and merciful God?

From what I've read on one particular Christian forums, the consensus is that since he stood in the presence of God unhindered, God's forgiveness is not available to him and never will be.

Which should make everyone think. Here we have the 2nd most powerful being in the universe cast from Heaven, even after he stood in God's presence.

Do any of you honestly expect to last in Heaven more than... 10, 15 minutes tops?

Jack89

Jesus=salvation!no1 else
Satan was more than a "pal" to God, he was the most powerful of all the angels, he led worship. The reason he was cast out "and i saw satan fall to earth taking a third of the angels, wrathful as he knows his time is short" (rev.) was pure and simple pride, he believed he could be better than God. To answer your question is there good in him, and does he have a concience is difficult, i would say there is no good in him as he hates the things of God (love,justice etc etc) so he would strive for the opposite. The real question however is what is evil??

Please provide one verse from the bible indicating Satan's disobedience from God's Word, other than hearsay (i.e. not men calling Satan a liar but Satan actually lying).
Genesis 3:4

"The woman said to the serpent, "We may eat fruit from the trees in the garden, 3 but God did say, 'You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die.' " "You will not surely die," the serpent said to the woman."

As for Job chapter 2:

[4] And Satan answered the LORD, and said, Skin for skin, yea, all that a man hath will he give for his life.
[5] But put forth thine hand now, and touch his bone and his flesh, and he will curse thee to thy face.
[6] And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, he is in thine hand; but save his life.
[7] So went Satan forth from the presence of the LORD, and smote Job with sore boils from the sole of his foot unto his crown.
[/quote] I stand by my statement.
God NEVER told Satan to afflict Satan with painful sores.

Please provide one verse where God instructs Satan to inflict sores onto Job's skin.

Popeyesays

"The woman said to the serpent, "We may eat fruit from the trees in the garden, 3 but God did say, 'You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die.' " "You will not surely die," the serpent said to the woman."
I stand by my statement.
God NEVER told Satan to afflict Satan with painful sores.

Job Chapter 2 verse 6.

Regards,
Scott

Please provide one verse where God instructs Satan to inflict sores onto Job's skin.[/quote]

gnostic

The Lost One
God said to Satan that he can do anything to make Job suffer, as long as he doesn't kill Job. Satan did make Job suffer, but he didn't kill Job. Satan had abide by God's restriction.

GabrielWithoutWings

Please provide evidence that the serpent is Satan in disguise and not just a serpent.

Please provide evidence that the serpent is Satan in disguise and not just a serpent.

There are several passages that identify the serpent of Genesis 3 with Satan.

One is in Revelation 12:9

"The great dragon was hurled down—that ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, who leads the whole world astray. He was hurled to the earth, and his angels with him."

And yet another here:

Revelation 20:2
"He seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the devil, or Satan, and bound him for a thousand years."

McBell

Admiral Obvious

"The great dragon was hurled down—that ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, who leads the whole world astray. He was hurled to the earth, and his angels with him."

And yet another here:

"He seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the devil, or Satan, and bound him for a thousand years."
wow.
Talk about a leap of faith

gnostic

The Lost One
apologistndenton said:

And yet another here:

Do you think a man writing a mad vision to be reliable source of information?

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da

And yet another here:

That still doesn't show that Satan is the Serpent. Really the Serpent was just that, a Serpent. Know how I know that, a Jewish friend told me, heck it is there Holy book you're using in the first place I think they would know better. :yes:

GabrielWithoutWings

That still doesn't show that Satan is the Serpent. Really the Serpent was just that, a Serpent. Know how I know that, a Jewish friend told me, heck it is there Holy book you're using in the first place I think they would know better. :yes:

That bothers me. Pauline Christians introduced a new way of interpreting the Tanakh to the point of making a new religion, but Mani, Muhammad, Baha'u'llah, and probably some others do the same with Christian scripture and they go berserk.

:sarcastic

McBell

Admiral Obvious
That bothers me. Pauline Christians introduced a new way of interpreting the Tanakh to the point of making a new religion, but Mani, Muhammad, Baha'u'llah, and probably some others do the same with Christian scripture and they go berserk.

:sarcastic
The very definition of hypocritical irony, don't you think?

rajakrsna

Okay, so my knowledge of Satan is limited, but if I understand correctly, he was told, by God, to submit to humans. But Satan refused and was, "cast out" what ever that means, and now tempts people into fiddeling with their privates and killing on another. I've also heard it said that Satan thought he could be as powerful as God and was, "cast out" for that reason.

Anyway, what ever the reason, Satan was God's pal at one point, so Satan obviously knew/knows what love is and obviously had a heart. So, do the Christians here think he's PURE evil? Moderately evil? Missunderstood? A bit of a git?

If he does have good in him, then is this, "good" a conscience? If so, could he be persuaded to repent?

There`s a great devotee of God named Sanatana Goswami. I`m also a fan of the band Santana. Satan`s real name actually is Lucifer or Lucy for short. It was Lucy who tempted Adam in the garden of Eden that the apple(sexual intercourse) is good to eat. & the rest is her story.:D