• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Spirituality Comprise Vegetarianism?

Sonic247

doppelgänger;883596 said:
Zanda has a point. That is how the Atkins and Zone diets work, sorta. If you eat only meat it will put your body into a state of ketosis, which works for weight loss because protein is not the body's preferred form of energy (carbohydrates are), and prolonged absence of sufficient carbs results in the body going into a sort of metabolic shock or starvation mode, even though the amount of calories and fat consumed may be quite high.

This is potentially dangerous for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that high meat diets tend to be full of fat and cholesterol and very little fiber and may contribute the risks of colon cancer and heart disease.
So you have meat for protien, whole grains for fiber, fruits and vegables for vitamins ect., but that doesn't mean it uses more resoures to digest a steak then it produces. That would mean someone could be starving and if they ate a steak it wouldn't do them any good, if someone goes even a day without eating they will know that isn't true.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
So you have meat for protien, whole grains for fiber, fruits and vegables for vitamins ect., but that doesn't mean it uses more resoures to digest a steak then it produces. That would mean someone could be starving and if they ate a steak it wouldn't do them any good, if someone goes even a day without eating they will know that isn't true.

Well, that's why I added the 'sorta.' We don't eat meat for the calories is the point, which isn't too far off from what Zanda said.

Sonic247

Brain uses 80% of food...so depends on output...

I know this sound cliche here but: What's the evidence for that? People do areobics to get skinnier not read a book.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
I know this sound cliche here but: What's the evidence for that? People do areobics to get skinnier not read a book.

I read once that it's about 20% of calorie and oxygen utilization, which is still pretty impressive considering the brain only makes up about 2-3% of body mass. I'm looking for the source. Will update.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
My sister has a neuro science degree and taught me that, haven’t researched it….. yet know she had a 1st....

Eating any meat in my body, causes harmful side effects of energy fluctuations.....Far more sensitive and alive now, since stopping…..
Too eat any meat would instantly make me feel dead….My brain doesn’t feed off it and can’t, it feeds of sugars…...It then sends signals to parts of my body to move it.......
My brain tells my body to produce proteins, it then makes it..

Sonic247

So you mean what your body burns can be atributed to the brain because it's what regulates/ tells it what to do, makes sense. I think eating too much is unhealthy, but it won't effect you to drastically to have a cheeseburger now and again, these bodies are dying anyway, althoug we don't want to speed up the process we need to realize they are just temporary.