• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does the Soul Exist?

I've been reading a bit about the brain and it seems that science is showing more and more that the physical brain is responsible for all thoughts, actions and processes. Even our personality is determined in parts of the physical brain. If the brain does everything, then what is the use of a soul? Since it has no function it is safe to say it does not exist. The brain stops working, you die. You don't miraculously enter an afterlife.
What is your opinion?

Last edited:

David T

Premium Member
I've been reading a bit about the brain and it seems that science is showing more and more that the physical brain is responsible for all thoughts, actions and processes. Even our personality is determined in parts of the physical brain. If the brain does everything, then what is the use of a soul? Since it has no function it is safe to say it does not exist.
What is your opinion?
oh I might say nature is responsible but that's about 200 years ahead of modern theology, I mean cognitive science. So my view is irrelevant.

Jokes aside, cognitive science itself isn't literally that lame. In any type of edge conversation which cognitive science certainly is we tend to break into reductionism vs non reductionism. So what you quoted is the reductionist interpretation of neurology which is nonsense as it always has been and always will be. In religion it's called creationism or intelligent design.

The problem with neurology is that neurology is making statements about neurology. So broad statements of reductionism in context to neurology are always always wrong. A bit like astrology "look the stars move therefore you will have a great day tomorrow." that's reductionism at its finest. In this culture this nonsense got a foothold in my degree.. . theology. It's Idiotic.

Last edited:

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I've been reading a bit about the brain and it seems that science is showing more and more that the physical brain is responsible for all thoughts, actions and processes. Even our personality is determined in parts of the physical brain. If the brain does everything, then what is the use of a soul? Since it has no function it is safe to say it does not exist. It stops working, you die. You don't miraculously enter an afterlife.
What is your opinion?

Where does the brain get the material to produce the thoughts? If there is nothing but the physical and definable brain, what's the point of even existing?

Where does the brain get the material to produce the thoughts? If there is nothing but the physical and definable brain, what's the point of even existing?
What do you mean what is the point of existing? If you have only one life it is all the more reason to want to exist every minute of it. It is precious. Where does the brain get the material to create thoughts? The food you eat I"d say.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I've been reading a bit about the brain and it seems that science is showing more and more that the physical brain is responsible for all thoughts, actions and processes. Even our personality is determined in parts of the physical brain. If the brain does everything, then what is the use of a soul? Since it has no function it is safe to say it does not exist. It stops working, you die. You don't miraculously enter an afterlife.
What is your opinion?

The soul a compilation of our thoughts, feelings, and behaviors.. It's the nature of a person and made up of how we relate to ourselves and the world around us.

This is my observation. When the mind picks up sensory information and info we translate as language to our brains, our brains interpret the information using neuron signals. We then take those signals and make sense of it internally then find language to express it verbally and/or behaviorally. This shows the brains ability to function.

Where the soul plays in, is when we use the language (say interpreting culture and experiences) and sensory input (affects from meditation or prayer etc) and internalize it, it becomes a part of us; our nature. We don't separate our experiences and beliefs from ourselves. Hence, they become a part of who we are.

That who is defined as our soul (such as ol' soul, type of thing)

It dies with the body.

When the brain stops functioning, there is no part of the brain to which language can communicate with each other. No consciousness. It stops working; so, there is no afterlife.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I've been reading a bit about the brain and it seems that science is showing more and more that the physical brain is responsible for all thoughts, actions and processes. Even our personality is determined in parts of the physical brain. If the brain does everything, then what is the use of a soul? Since it has no function it is safe to say it does not exist. The brain stops working, you die. You don't miraculously enter an afterlife.
What is your opinion?
Try explaining a near death experience where no higher brain functioning is occurring but the patient can later accurately report what was happening in the resuscitation efforts from an above the body view.

And then I will also mention the opposing theory to the brain does everything. In one alternate theory (that I personally subscribe to) we have interpenetrating bodies; physical, astral and mental. The non-physical bodies are not directly detectable by the physical senses and instruments. Thought actually occurs at the super-physical mental plane level and is carried down to the physical plane brain by sympathetic vibrations. So in the physical brain what you are actually seeing is the corollary of thought and not the origin of thought.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
I've been reading a bit about the brain and it seems that science is showing more and more that the physical brain is responsible for all thoughts, actions and processes. Even our personality is determined in parts of the physical brain. If the brain does everything, then what is the use of a soul?

As I see it, the purpose to the 'I' that transcends mind and body (what you are referring to as a 'soul') is to be and to observe.

Since it has no function it is safe to say it does not exist.

Given this rationale, it's safe to say mens' nipples don't exist.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
What do you mean what is the point of existing? If you have only one life it is all the more reason to want to exist every minute of it. It is precious. Where does the brain get the material to create thoughts? The food you eat I"d say.

For what purpose? Do you exist just to say "I exist"? And if so, to whom do you make this momentous statement? Suppose your "one life" is reduced to suffering with a painful and debilitating disease, is it still precious? Or even worthwhile? IMHO the idea of "life" is what is non-existent.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Try explaining a near death experience where no higher brain functioning is occurring but the patient can later accurately report what was happening in the resuscitation efforts from an above the body view.

And then I will also mention the opposing theory to the brain does everything. In one alternate theory (that I personally subscribe to) we have interpenetrating bodies; physical, astral and mental. The non-physical bodies are not directly detectable by the physical senses and instruments. Thought actually occurs at the super-physical mental plane level and is carried down to the physical plane brain by sympathetic vibrations. So in the physical brain what you are actually seeing is the corollary of thought and not the origin of thought.

The brain is the source of everything. From metaphysics and spiritual feelings to being happy with eating chocolate or spending time with family. Near-death experiences have their origin from the brain. Supernatural terms dress it up; but, at the end, it's all interaction between body and mind.

What can we experience that the brain and mind have no play in the experiences themselves? What exists outside of the mind and body communication?

joe1776

What is your opinion?
I think you've jumped to a conclusion (that the brain does everything) based on insufficient evidence.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

It's a whole bunch of neurons that bring in information and we translate it into something productive for survival. Since we translate the information we get to something valuable and usable, that information is what gives a person purpose to live. The source is the brain and mind but from how we interpret things we experience from ourselves and outside ourselves tells us whether we find purpose regardless of how our thoughts and body functions to create those experiences and interpretations of them.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I can't argue with people who believe in spirits and souls. You are ignorant. You use big words to discribe superstition. Did I forget to say you are ignorant?

It's not superstition. If you research the relationship these words have in general, they are just synonyms to something easily explained by the brain and mind.

74x12

What is your opinion?
I think of the consciousness as like a flame. Every flame has a source: fuel, oxygen, heat ... you know the fire triangle. But, the concept of the consciousness is that even when the brain is gone the flame goes on ... but from another source now rather than the brain. So your consciousness will go on in my belief.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Near-death experiences have their origin from the brain.
To me that is contradicted by cases where people have a near death experience and experience even more vividly and actually can relate verifiable physical events around them from an out of body perspective despite no higher brain activity occurring. To me this supports my belief that we have interpenetrating physical and non-physical bodies that can experience a separation. And a permanent separation at death.

allfoak

Alchemist
What is your opinion?
What science "thinks" aint always necessarily so, now is it?