• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does the Soul Exist?

A Vestigial Mote

I've been reading a bit about the brain and it seems that science is showing more and more that the physical brain is responsible for all thoughts, actions and processes. Even our personality is determined in parts of the physical brain. If the brain does everything, then what is the use of a soul? Since it has no function it is safe to say it does not exist. The brain stops working, you die. You don't miraculously enter an afterlife.
What is your opinion?

I'm with you on this. I don't believe the "soul" exists. For one thing, it is a word for a completely made-up concept that has no objective empirical or experiential backing whatsoever.

Hence the reason that if you ask 10 people about the properties for the soul, you will get back 10 completely different (and very likely contradictory in some cases) answers.

If you ask 10 people about an apple, you will most likely get back very corroborating data points and descriptions... heck... you could probably even draw an excellent approximation of an apple, having never seen one yourself, from the descriptions 10 people gave. This will never, ever be the case with something like "soul" - and I feel there is a very clear and obvious answer as to why.

Last edited:

Rational Agnostic

I've been reading a bit about the brain and it seems that science is showing more and more that the physical brain is responsible for all thoughts, actions and processes. Even our personality is determined in parts of the physical brain. If the brain does everything, then what is the use of a soul? Since it has no function it is safe to say it does not exist. The brain stops working, you die. You don't miraculously enter an afterlife.
What is your opinion?

I agree that it's highly likely that consciousness originates in the brain, and thus a soul is highly unlikely to exist. However, consciousness is not at all understood by science yet, so it's not nearly as simple as you're making it out to be. We haven't found a "consciousness" part of the brain as of yet. It could be that rocks are sentient beings, or that the whole universe is sentient. We just don't know.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
The brain is the source of everything. From metaphysics and spiritual feelings to being happy with eating chocolate or spending time with family. Near-death experiences have their origin from the brain. Supernatural terms dress it up; but, at the end, it's all interaction between body and mind.

Absolutely fascinating. Last I read, science hasn't been able to disprove the existence of the soul nor has it pinpointed what part of the brain is responsible for consciousness.

Clearly you've stumbled across some new information. Please share.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
To me that is contradicted by cases where people have a near death experience and experience even more vividly and actually can relate verifiable physical events around them from an out of body perspective despite no higher brain activity occurring. To me this supports my belief that we have interpenetrating physical and non-physical bodies that can experience a separation. And a permanent separation at death.

The brain is very devalued for what it can actually do in a spiritual sense. When someone has near-death experiences, they don't have an isolate soul. The experience of whatever one calls it, consciousness, spirit, god, or so have you are physiological and psychological interpretations of what the brain and body experiences before the brain stops functioning totally.

There are different levels of consciousness that could play a part in near-death experiences as well as supernatural ones we experience when meditating, praying, or so have you.

Here is some interesting info on that.

Website One
Neurological Correlates of Transformational Experiences Douglas G. Richards, Ph.D.

As for near-death experiences, how we function in the world is from our brain. In the right temporal lobe (I have seizures in that lobe and frontal), there controls emotions, sensations, and memory. It is said that near-death experiences start from the temporal lobe. It's a combination of different parts of the brain and their disassociation with the outside world as well as their spacial and sensory connection with external stimuli because of their condition(s).

As for spiritual and religious interpretation, everyone has their own views. It's still spiritual. How does its origin from the brain make it less spiritual than having a supernatural cause?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
It's a whole bunch of neurons that bring in information and we translate it into something productive for survival. Since we translate the information we get to something valuable and usable, that information is what gives a person purpose to live. The source is the brain and mind but from how we interpret things we experience from ourselves and outside ourselves tells us whether we find purpose regardless of how our thoughts and body functions to create those experiences and interpretations of them.

You have just succinctly taken information that didn't exist as thought until you reached for your keyboard and transposed it into a transferable idea that has nothing to do with survival. I have been able to interpret your meaning and intent by careful scrutinizing the factors involving both an inner and outer thought process that, again, has nothing to do with survival. Granted, I had to use my brain, but you noticed I carried out our conversation by returning with another complex idea instead of simply grunting in agreement. I think this tends to defeat your own argument.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Absolutely fascinating. Last I read, science hasn't been able to disprove the existence of the soul nor has it pinpointed what part of the brain is responsible for consciousness.

Clearly you've stumbled across some new information. Please share.

I have epilepsy (seizure disorder). My seizures originate from the right temporal lobe and progressed to the frontal lobe. The former is said to create spiritual experiences because it controls the memory, (edit) sounds, sensations, awareness, etc.

Here's a website on the lobes of the brain
  • The frontal lobe is located at the front of the brain and is associated with reasoning, motor skills, higher level cognition, and expressive language. At the back of the frontal lobe, near the central sulcus, lies the motor cortex. This area of the brain receives information from various lobes of the brain and utilizes this information to carry out body movements. Damage to the frontal lobe can lead to changes in sexual habits, socialization, and attention as well as increased risk-taking.

• The parietal lobe is located in the middle section of the brain and is associated with processing tactile sensory information such as pressure, touch, and pain. A portion of the brain known as the somatosensory cortex is located in this lobe and is essential to the processing of the body's senses.

• The temporal lobe is located on the bottom section of the brain. This lobe is also the location of the primary auditory cortex, which is important for interpreting sounds and the language we hear. The hippocampus is also located in the temporal lobe, which is why this portion of the brain is also heavily associated with the formation of memories. Damage to the temporal lobe can lead to problems with memory, speech perception, and language skills.

• The occipital lobe is located at the back portion of the brain and is associated with interpreting visual stimuli and information. The primary visual cortex, which receives and interprets information from the retinas of the eyes, is located in the occipital lobe. Damage to this lobe can cause visual problems such as difficulty recognizing objects, an inability to identify colors, and trouble recognizing words.

I'd argue that the different parts of the brain have a lot to do with near-death experiences. That, and our levels of consciousness can play a role in how we interpret an experience when we're not fully aware compared to now, when we'd have more clarity in what we go through.

A lot of research seems to tilt to a abrahamic/god perspective. In general, I don't see it as a god-thing inheritly. How people address what they don't know and experience depends on culture and person, really.

Last edited:

joe1776

People have demonstrated out of body experiences and near death experiences while on drugs. Read up on how the brain creates near death experiences.
Links, please.

The only science I'm aware of can simulate the experience. It can't explain how such events happen naturally.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
As for spiritual and religious interpretation, everyone has their own views. It's still spiritual. How does its origin from the brain make it less spiritual than having a supernatural cause?
To simplify the matter I was trying to just refer to the non-spiritual interpretive side of near-death experiences. I am talking about mundane experiencing. For example, knowing a nurse with a particular hair style carried in a tray with such and such on it during a time when no higher brain functioning was occurring. And all this claimed to be viewed from an above the body perspective.

To me, this argues against the brain is everything understanding and supports my theory of interpenetrating physical and non-physical bodies that can separate under trauma and death.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
You have just succinctly taken information that didn't exist as thought until you reached for your keyboard and transposed it into a transferable idea that has nothing to do with survival. I have been able to interpret your meaning and intent by careful scrutinizing the factors involving both an inner and outer thought process that, again, has nothing to do with survival. Granted, I had to use my brain, but you noticed I carried out our conversation by returning with another complex idea instead of simply grunting in agreement. I think this tends to defeat your own argument.

OOH I got to find this TED video for you. It explains the nature of our mind in mode of survival. What use is your communication if it had no purpose apart from our relationship with ourselves, others, and how we live?

A good way to describe our thoughts and survival is Maslows Hierarchy

TEMP.gif

Survival isn't specific to the basic needs of shelter, food, water, etc. Survival includes a variety of things that which we use communication for. What activities do we engage in and talk about outside these needs?

dianaiad

What is your opinion?

I have a program that designs quilts. All I have to do is click one button and the program figures out the size, pattern, fabric requirements, templates, cutting instructions and even numbers the foundation piecing patterns (to those who are not quilters, sorry...and never mind). Now it is true that the comparison here is VERY shallow, but....

All I do is punch a button, but if I don't punch it, the program doesn't work, and if I don't punch it, *I* have problems doing the things it does.

It's true; scientists have discovered that the physical brain does all the thinking, the calculating and even the emoting, and damage or changes to the physical brain can, and do, alter those abilities and the personality.

but....what if there is something that needs to 'push the button?" That would be the spirit, should there be one. One need not push God and the spiritual world out of existence simply because we are learning about the processes by WHICH Godidit.

At least, I don't think so.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think a related issue here is the seemingly growing consensus among researchers that the self is not actually one, but many. Or, as I recall Walt Whitman sang, "I contain multitudes".

Ponder This

What is your opinion?

Since the soul is a metaphysical concept that doesn't rely on the existence of brains to be true... it doesn't matter what science discovers about brains. IMO.

In fact the only reason to conduct this research into brains is because people are curious about who and what they really are and they think maybe they can find the answer by studying the brain.

I don't think 'having a function' matters. To me that's like asking if a random rock in the middle of nowhere is performing a 'function' and if it fails to perform any obvious 'function' then it must not exist. I don't find that sort of argument compelling.

The alternative to the existence of souls is that people aren't real. So I think we have to put that on the table. Maybe you don't really exist at all. You only 'think' you do. I don't mean that reality is an 'illusion' or 'deception'. I mean that there is actually nothing that exists to be deceived in the first place. We merely experience the illusion of being deceived... :confused: wait...

Was Descartes was wrong when he said, "Cogito, ergo sum"?

If there is no such thing a soul, then Descartes was wrong (he isn't aware; he only thinks he's aware); there is no consciousness (higher or lower, of spoons or of vans).

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
What is your opinion?
Nope. No souls at all. You had no choice in getting to where you are today, so celebrate.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I can't argue with people who believe in spirits and souls. You are ignorant. You use big words to discribe superstition. Did I forget to say you are ignorant?
So, in other words, you don’t really want to know what we think; you just want to show us how superior you think you are and tell us the way you think it is.
Thanks for the ad hominem. I hope it makes you feel better.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
What is your opinion?

Materialism is a laughable, unevidenced position that spits in the face of science and philosophy. Your claims are entirely unsupported in the OP, no rainre to go any further.

Faithofchristian

What is your opinion?

First there is no way to detect the soul, that's within the body.

The soul within the body lives, even when the body dies and the Brain stops functioning, the soul is eternal that never dies.
We know that as we age our body gets old, but our soul does not age or get old.

This is why many who get old, will say they don't feel any different than they did during their teen years or in their 20's, 30's,40's and so on.
That's all because our soul does not age or get old.