• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does your religion have end-time prophesies?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
That dating you posted is I think the majority view but not the only one.
True. Just like God's messengers who claimed to know more, these non-mainline views do exist in Hinduism. Yogananda too had his own chronology for Kali Yuga. If they do not say anything anything other than what is believed, how would they attract audiences?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
With all the disasters that keep happening and, as some believe, getting worse, because of climate change and whatever other reasons, does this fit with the end-time prophesies of your religion? And does your religion even have end-time prophesies? And because plagues and earthquakes and other disasters have always happened, why is it different now? And this time, for sure, the end-times?
Judaism has prophecies of a Messianic age in the last days. It would be a time of worldwide peace.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Thanks for everybody's replies. So far, what's interesting is the linear view and the view that it all goes in cycles. Either way, it's a hope for a better time coming. Of course, some religions have a great judgement filled with trials and tribulations before those better times come. Fifty years ago, I really that the time had come... Change was on its way. But things just keep going on and on the way they've always gone... good things, bad things, new plagues, more earthquakes, worse storms, bigger fires.

InChrist

Free4ever
Thanks for everybody's replies. So far, what's interesting is the linear view and the view that it all goes in cycles. Either way, it's a hope for a better time coming. Of course, some religions have a great judgement filled with trials and tribulations before those better times come. Fifty years ago, I really that the time had come... Change was on its way. But things just keep going on and on the way they've always gone... good things, bad things, new plagues, more earthquakes, worse storms, bigger fires.
Haven’t you noticed any changes in fifty years that would seem to make it more likely that things could be drawing nearer to the end or fulfillment of last day prophecies?

I suppose it seems like things just keep going on and on, yet I think complacency causes one to miss seeing indicators that Jesus referenced as He reminded people to watch and pray (Luke 21:35-36). Peter then reminded his readers that although things continue on… at some point in God’s timing He will keep His promise.

…and saying, “Where is the promise of His coming? For since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of creation.” 2 Peter 3:4

But, beloved, do not forget this one thing, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. 9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance. 2 Peter 3:8-9

IndigoChild5559

Haven’t you noticed any changes in fifty years that would seem to make it more likely that things could be drawing nearer to the end or fulfillment of last day prophecies?
Christians have been saying this for the last 2000 years. You guys have sort of lost your credibility.

InChrist

Free4ever
The Bible speaks of the "end" of this world, or the way things are now. And personally am thankful for that! But it's not the end of life for everybody. Matthew 24:14 - "And the Good News about the Kingdom will be preached throughout the whole world, so that all nations will hear it; and then the end will come."
good news...I believe it.
I am very thankful for the grace and salvation found in Jesus Christ and look forward to the new heaven and earth.

…looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be dissolved, being on fire, and the elements will melt with fervent heat? 13 Nevertheless we, according to His promise, look for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells.
looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be dissolved, being on fire, and the elements will melt with fervent heat? 13 Nevertheless we, according to His promise, look for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells.14 Therefore, beloved, looking forward to these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, without spot and blameless; 15 and consider that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation—as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, has written to you, 16 as also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which untaught and unstable people twist to their own destruction, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures.
17 You therefore, beloved, since you know this beforehand, beware lest you also fall from your own steadfastness, being led away with the error of the wicked; 18 but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

To Him be the glory both now and forever. Amen.

2 Peter 3:12-19

InChrist

Free4ever
Christians have been saying this for the last 2000 years. You guys have sort of lost your credibility.
No, I don’t think so…

…But, beloved, do not forget this one thing, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance. 2 Peter 3:8-9

InChrist

Free4ever
Oh yes. Every generation of Christians have thought they were in the last days. Even those in your new testament.
I think to a certain extent, you are correct. Every generation of Christians has had an expectant hope that they may see the see the return of Christ. Certainly, various disasters or traumatic events accentuated such thinking. Nevertheless, just because the end hasn’t occurred doesn’t negate that it will occur at some point, does it? I think there is a convergence of prophetic signs which indicate we are getting very close to the 7 year tribulation period. Probably the two main ones are that Israel is a nation back in the promised land and the technology that is now available to enable a one world government, surveillance, and control.

IndigoChild5559

I think there is a convergence of prophetic signs which indicate we are getting very close to the 7 year tribulation period.
Yes, I realize you truly believe you see these things, and that I'm not going to be able to convince you otherwise.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
I think there is a convergence of prophetic signs which indicate we are getting very close to the 7 year tribulation period. Probably the two main ones are that Israel is a nation back in the promised land and the technology that is now available to enable a one world government, surveillance, and control.
Okay, things are looking bad.... What are Christians expecting to happen next and let's see if it happens. It's been too easy up to now. Earthquakes and plagues, wars and rumors of wars. These things have happened and keep happening, so they aren't very good indicators that this time is going to be the real thing... the end and Jesus is finally going to come.

InChrist

Free4ever
Okay, things are looking bad.... What are Christians expecting to happen next and let's see if it happens. It's been too easy up to now. Earthquakes and plagues, wars and rumors of wars. These things have happened and keep happening, so they aren't very good indicators that this time is going to be the real thing... the end and Jesus is finally going to come.
If you are asking me for a specific event that will happen next, I can’t do that. The scriptures include several end times events, but they are not given by specific dates or necessarily in chronological order. Jesus said no one knows the day or the hour. That is why it’s important to watch the overall occurrence of events taking place and especially to take notice when things start falling into place and converging as I mentioned before. One event which could occur at anytime is the rapture of the church where all believers in Christ are removed from the earth, therefore removing the restraint of the Holy Spirit. When this happens all evil will be let loose; unrestrained and the Great Tribulation period of 7 years will begin. You really do not want to be here for that.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
With all the disasters that keep happening and, as some believe, getting worse, because of climate change and whatever other reasons, does this fit with the end-time prophesies of your religion? And does your religion even have end-time prophesies? And because plagues and earthquakes and other disasters have always happened, why is it different now? And this time, for sure, the end-times?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Some time ago I remember a Jewish person telling me that if M. Schneerson wasn't the messiah then there is no messiah. He died after that, but in good sense I wonder if there are still followers hoping he will be resurrected?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Oh yes. Every generation of Christians have thought they were in the last days. Even those in your new testament.
Since you mention that, I wonder how many Jews thought the Romans would desecrate and virtually destroy the temple in Jerusalem in the 1st century C.E..

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member

I think it would be wise for religions to be as vague as possible and just go with soon. Remember the the Watchtower predictions 1914, 1925, 1975, within the 20th century, soonish.

InChrist

Free4ever
I think it would be wise for religions to be as vague as possible and just go with soon. Remember the the Watchtower predictions 1914, 1925, 1975, within the 20th century, soonish.
Then there was Harold Camping with 1994 and 2011. That’s why it’s not a good idea to set dates, besides it’s unbiblical. Nevertheless, that doesn’t mean one can’t be aware of the season or realize things are falling into place according to last day prophecy.
Were you involved with JW’s previously? Just wondering, since you appear familiar with their false date-setting.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Were you involved with JW’s previously? Just wondering, since you appear familiar with their false date-setting.

No, never involved, just a curious observer. I wonder how people get sucked into such nonsense and some knowledge tends to shorten the length of the visit when they harass me at my home.