• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Domestic Violence Against Men

Rakhel

While it is well know that 1 in 4 women have been the victims of domestic violence, what isn't known is that 40% of all domestic violence victims are men. This seems to be the case world wide.

SUMMARY: According to a 2010 national survey by the Centers for Disease Control and Department of Justice, in the last 12 months more men than women were victims of intimate partner physical violence and over 40% of severe physical violence was directed at men. Men were also more often the victim of psychological aggression and control over sexual or reproductive health. Despite this, few services are available to male victims of intimate partner violence.
CDC Study: More Men than Women Victims of Partner Abuse » SAVE: Stop Abusive and Violent Environments
Data from Home Office statistical bulletins and the British Crime Survey show that men made up about 40% of domestic violence victims each year between 2004-05 and 2008-09, the last year for which figures are available. In 2006-07 men made up 43.4% of all those who had suffered partner abuse in the previous year, which rose to 45.5% in 2007-08 but fell to 37.7% in 2008-09.
More than 40% of domestic violence victims are male, report reveals | Society | The Observer

What is interesting about these facts is that while services are available for men, they are not as wide spread as it is needed
One in three victims of domestic abuse in Britain is male but refuge beds for men are critically scarce. There are 78 spaces which can be used by men in refuges around Britain, of which only 33 are dedicated rooms for males: the rest can be taken by victims of either gender. This compares with around 4,000 spaces for women. In Northern Ireland and Scotland there are no male refuges at all.
Domestic violence: 'As a man, it's very difficult to say I've been beaten up' - Health News - Health & Families - The Independent
and I understand. What man wants to admit that he has been hit by a woman? What man is going to admit that he is scared of his significant other? Maybe this is part of the reason
I phoned the domestic violence help line to try to resolve some issues concerning the abuse, and the woman who answered the phone said, ‘If you admit that you are the perpetrator and your wife says she has been victimised, then we can help you’. Evan
One in Three Campaign - Overview of Recent Family Violence Research
But I feel this is something to be talked about. More services are needed. More men need to talk this and not treat it as a “grow a set” type of issue.
Some resources to look at
The Awareness Center, Inc.: Domestic Violence Against Men Is The Most Under Reported Crime
Domestic Violence Main Page
Domestic violence against men: Know the signs - MayoClinic.com

Last edited:

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Domestic violence happens, that is a fact of life. What does not have to happen is staying in a relationship like that. This is the biggest problem not the abuse it's self.

Rakhel

Easier said than done. The same psychological abuse happens with men as it does with women.
"You leave, you can't see the kids."
"No one will believe you".
"You take the kids, I have you arrested for kidnapping."
"I'll just say you hit me first."

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
There needs to be more battered mens shelters. Period.

I also found this quote from the link from The Awareness Center sad, and the bolded part even more depressing:

In view of the foregoing, I have no doubt that the estimate that women who have been victimized by abuse are 9 times more likely to report it than male victims are is accurate. Or, as Suzanne Steinmetz has put it: "The most unreported crime is not wife beating...it's husband beating." The next most unreported crime, of course, is the abuse of male children. It is estimated that at least 72% of violent victimizations of children, most of whom are male, are not reported to police.

Qhost

Exercising Thought
Ah Rakhel, beating me to the next topic I was going to write up ^.^ Good job. :hearts:

Like male rape, male DV is often met with the same disbelief - how could the strong male be beaten by the smaller and weak female? It makes sense that it is extremely under-reported. It also doesn't help how in a Domestic the man is often seen as an aggressor. People in MRA come along every know and again with a story of how they were beaten, had cuts and bruises yet it was them taken away. It's an utter shame many men feel like the wont be believed if they report it, let alone any damage to pride.

I've even heard of policies where there is pressure from the police department (or higher ups) to assume it's the male as the aggressor.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Ah Rakhel, beating me to the next topic I was going to write up ^.^ Good job. :hearts:

Like male rape, male DV is often met with the same disbelief - how could the strong male be beaten by the smaller and weak female? It makes sense that it is extremely under-reported. It also doesn't help how in a Domestic the man is often seen as an aggressor. People in MRA come along every know and again with a story of how they were beaten, had cuts and bruises yet it was them taken away. It's an utter shame many men feel like the wont be believed if they report it, let alone any damage to pride.

I've even heard of policies where there is pressure from the police department (or higher ups) to assume it's the male as the aggressor.

I've consistently argued that the gender/height-weight ratio has little to do when it comes to who can win in a fight. I've sparred with males before, even remembering one against a 6'5" black belt male, and I won in point sparring. I know how to throw people over my shoulder to the ground....has less to do with brute strength and more to do with technique and hip placement.

My daughter (who is a black belt herself) had an instructor that sparred around the world, is a world champion himself - and at 6'4" - and talked frequently about the man that always bested him before he became a world champion. It was a man who was around 5'4".

I would argue consistently around here at RF against the assumption that women are not as good fighters as men, that smaller people are not as good fighters, and that it's just a matter of biology that testosterone will give more aggression than estrogen (people who believe that haven't been around a peri-menopausal woman, obviously).

The old cartoon image of a larger woman angrily running at her husband with a rolling pin is seen as comical. I find that attitude to be shameful.

These are gender stereotypes that hurt both genders. The stereotype that assumes the male will always be stronger, will always be the aggressor, and will always "take control" of a situation. Or at least that he should. I've called that perspective B.S. for a while now, and it's about damn time somebody started discussing how hurtful and violent a woman can be, and how hurt, shamed, demeaned, and battered a man can be.

[/rant]

Qhost

Exercising Thought
I've consistently argued that the gender/height-weight ratio has little to do when it comes to who can win in a fight. I've sparred with males before, even remembering one against a 6'5" black belt male, and I won in point sparring. I know how to throw people over my shoulder to the ground....has less to do with brute strength and more to do with technique and hip placement.

My daughter (who is a black belt herself) had an instructor that sparred around the world, is a world champion himself - and at 6'4" - and talked frequently about the man that always bested him before he became a world champion. It was a man who was around 5'4".

I would argue consistently around here at RF against the assumption that women are not as good fighters as men, that smaller people are not as good fighters, and that it's just a matter of biology that testosterone will give more aggression than estrogen (people who believe that haven't been around a peri-menopausal woman, obviously).

The old cartoon image of a larger woman angrily running at her husband with a rolling pin is seen as comical. I find that attitude to be shameful.

These are gender stereotypes that hurt both genders. The stereotype that assumes the male will always be stronger, will always be the aggressor, and will always "take control" of a situation. Or at least that he should. I've called that perspective B.S. for a while now, and it's about damn time somebody started discussing how hurtful and violent a woman can be, and how hurt, shamed, demeaned, and battered a man can be.

[/rant]

Okay two things, one on topic and one off-topic.

On-topic: Abso-bloody-lutely. The girls I've seen who could kick the daylights out of me and I'm 6'4''. I reckon if you took a world average men would come out as better 'fighters' simply because of the biologically advantage in strength and physique, but that certainly does not stop a woman from becoming a proficient fighter.

Having your daughter become a black-belt is a laudable parenting decision :clap

Off-topic: What are those little medals by your frubal count? And how are they obtained? They look pretty!

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Okay two things, one on topic and one off-topic.

On-topic: Abso-bloody-lutely. The girls I've seen who could kick the daylights out of me and I'm 6'4''. I reckon if you took a world average men would come out as better 'fighters' simply because of the biologically advantage in strength and physique, but that certainly does not stop a woman from becoming a proficient fighter.

Brute strength and length of limb are differences. Technique, agility, knowing how to duck and uppercut, timing, speed, footwork, and....to be honest....knowing how to take a hit. These are all advantages that necessarily don't translate to gender. People can know how to fight regardless of what genitalia they were born with.

Having your daughter become a black-belt is a laudable parenting decision :clap

Thank you. :)

It was her decision, really. She tried gymnastics and ballet. Lost interest in them really fast. Saw martial arts and begged us for a week to enroll her. She's also quite the "girly girl" who loves to wear a skirt more than pants. Her water bottle she'd take with her to karate was always a pink "Hello Kitty" water bottle.

I loved how she demolished gender stereotypes in one fell swoop like that. LOL :D

Off-topic: What are those little medals by your frubal count? And how are they obtained? They look pretty!

Thank you! They are obtained from the number of frubals you have. I forget the benchmarks for the medals, though. Some of the other staff members might know. I'm just retired. :D

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Easier said than done. The same psychological abuse happens with men as it does with women.
Wow...

I heard all of these said to one of my (ex; had to let him go due to his girlfriend, and his anti-theistic aggressive behaviour and really distasteful jokes)friends from his girlfriend.

She also used to hit him, with fists, books, even a stiletto. Once gave him a black eye.

She said that if he ever tried to leave, she'd "get her friends to beat her up, and then say he did it. Who's going to believe a man didn't hit a woman when she has bruises?". She also mentioned she'd never let him see the kids, and she'd tell them he used to try to sexually abuse them. This was before they even had any kids. She also used to make holes in the condoms.

"***," I said. "If that was my girlfriend I'd've dropped her like a sack of **** and have my friends act as witnesses."
"But she's only playing."
When I said how can he sleep comfortably at night with those kind of things, his response was "but I love her".

And then, the stupid dick actually had kids and married her. They're still together to this day, as far as I know. Though I do know he's cheated on her several times; last time I saw him he was open about that. One of the women he was (is?) knocking off was actually on the bus once talking to her mate about it. She didn't recognise me since I've had all my hair cut off, and only met my wife once about 9 or 10 years ago (and her hair was dyed blonde then).

And crap like this is why I don't get involved with people's lives... or talk to many people... or speak carelessly IRL. :D

Me Myself

Back to my username
Domestic violence happens, that is a fact of life. What does not have to happen is staying in a relationship like that. This is the biggest problem not the abuse it's self.

I agree.

Yet the psychological trappings involved are still there. I do think there needs to be conscience about domestic abuse towards men and how it should be taken seriously.

Rakhel

I have been looking into resources here in NYC. They are very limited. Limited beds because most shelters won't take men. Limited support groups because men don't talk about it.

Funny enough, on the flip side of the coin, there are no batterers groups for females. I knew a woman that was having a hard time with ACS. They were demanding she take a Batterers course in order to get her kids back. She tore though this city looking for a batterers group that accepted women. There were none and neither are there any now..

moodys

It is an area of concern particularly for those who have to live with it from day-today. I do find from the cases I have read about or watched however, that the problem doesn't lie in the male victim's inability to respond to female posturing and violence with a similar or an exceeding level of violence, the issue lies in their mental and emotional inability to tap into that natural level of aggression that is required. It is very rarely the case that the woman in the relationship can project fear into the man solely due to her physical and fighting prowess. There are typically other underlying problems.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think part of the problem is that at least some men are trained to believe that women should not be physically fought against, regardless of whether they are being physically attacked by a woman.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

I had a friend whose ex-girlfriend would bring bum charges against him with the police whenever he tried to leave her. She'd do things like break a window, then call the police and say he had tried to break in. The police and DA bought her stories every time. He was too poor to afford his own lawyer, so the public defender would plea bargain the case -- have him plead guilty in exchange for a reduced sentence. It probably didn't help that he was Black and she was White, but that's another story. He eventually ended up doing jail time for crimes he never committed -- all for wanting to leave an abusive woman.

Rakhel

I think part of the problem is that at least some men are trained to believe that women should not be physically fought against, regardless of whether they are being physically attacked by a woman.
You know, this is exactly what I was thinking about today.
One of the articles I was reading before starting this thread, I think I linked to it actually, talked about a bar bouncer who was being abused by his girlfriend/wife. Another was an American football player, quarterback IIRC.
These are not small men. These are not men that would allow any man to take advantage. But a woman.That is different. Because they were probably taught "a real man doesn't strike a woman. No matter what she does."
Which you know, in and of itself, not a bad thing. But some woman take advantage of that.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
"a real man doesn't strike a woman. No matter what she does."
Which you know, in and of itself, not a bad thing. But some woman take advantage of that.

I think it's a good principal in general, but an exception should be made for self defense. I knew one guy, however, who towered over his wife, but was abused by her, and all because he couldn't bring himself to fight back. In his way of looking at it, it was both wrong to fight back, and he also told himself that she was too small to really hurt him. Years later, he was divorced with PTSD.

Me Myself

Back to my username
These are not small men. These are not men that would allow any man to take advantage. But a woman.That is different. Because they were probably taught "a real man doesn't strike a woman. No matter what she does."

I disagree it is not a bad thing.

If a human being attacks me, I must know I can defend myself with similar force.

We all have this right and none should be seen as less for enforcing it.

The thing is no one shoud be starting a physical fight to begin with. I mean words and names (idiot, beach, ***ole, whiner, good for nothing, lazy, etc) are already hurtful and while they should be obviously wrong, one can try and be the reasonable one out of the two if your partner starts them and try to make hir see the rrors of hir ways.

Bt if physical assault starts, it should be clear a very explicit and black and white line has been crossed.

There are moments were this line might not be stark, like when it is a "slap" or a "punch" must likely in the shoulder, without real strength and with a smile, from either of both, or even in sex with a safe word.

But you just dont frigging touch your couple when you are angry, worst yelling.

Its wrong, no matter who does it. Measures need to be taken.

Sure, sometimes this can be just flight. But with abuse, I think generally a joint effort of fig and flight is in order. You incapacitate attacker from further attacks, then when the attacker seems cowed you get out and denounce.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I think it's a good principal in general, but an exception should be made for self defense. I knew one guy, however, who towered over his wife, but was abused by her, and all because he couldn't bring himself to fight back. In his way of looking at it, it was both wrong to fight back, and he also told himself that she was too small to really hurt him. Years later, he was divorced with PTSD.

This. If you are under attack you must accept this and think in your safety first.

You cant trust the attacker on thinking about it for you.

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
I would also point out that at any time, if a man WERE to defend themselves from an attack by their partner (I will assume a female partner in this not because I think it is necessarily more common, though simple demographics would suggest it is as a portion of victimized men but rather because it would seem to imply a build difference in his favour which supports my point better) then WERE the male victim able to overcome his violent partner, this is likely to involve having to strike them or restrain them in some fashion - which may well result in bruising etc. So with a violent partner even if the male had the ability to forcibly prevent the abuse, to do so would likely result in evidence of violence BY him; so were the cops to get involved it is far more likely that they will seek to arrest HIM even if he does call the police.

Why on earth would you report it when that is the likely outcome?

I am trying to convince myself atm that I can overcome this conditioning were it required... I am not so sure I have yet managed to get to that point yet though. One of those wonderful remnants of the time when women were to be protected, respected and cared for.

Last edited:

Rakhel

My mother would tell me stories of her granny. (I understand that this was the deep south and you never hit your momma)
4 foot leven, nothin' but skin an bones chasen her sons aroun the yard wit a 2X4 cuz one of dem dared to strike his kids(her babies as she saw it)
I can only imagine how she handled her husband(A dirt farmer and they call them)

My own grandmother was no better to her husband. She was a mean drunk.

My mother, once threw a glass ashtray at my dad and once laced her fingers between his legs and pulled up as hard as she could.(5'3'' to his 6'3''). She called it retaliation. However, knowing my mom the way I do now, :shrug: