• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Double-blind Prayer Efficacy Test -- Really?

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What's the point of having faith if it gives you no confidence or comfort - that's called skepticism and doubt?

Skepticism is one of the most successful ideas humankind has produced, along with such things as justice and the laws of reason. Skepticism turned astrology into astronomy, alchemy into chemistry, and creationism into the Big Bang and evolutionary theories. In other words, skepticism followed by empiricism turned the study of the stars from something useless to something useful, from something that failed to predict the courses of lives into something that accurately predicted where the moon would be when Apollo 11 was ready to touch down on it. All that faith can do for astronomy is to misdirect it, as it did for biology when the ID people decided to inject faith into their studies and came up with what faith always yields: nothing demonstrably true, nothing able to explain or anticipate reality, just like astrology. In fact, in the Dover trial, the prosecution got one of the ID people to agree to the similarity of ID and astrology in the sense that they are too much alike to call only one pseudoscience.

Faith is wisdom

Faith is guessing.

Do you not understand what wisdom is?

Yes, but you do not. Faith has nothing to do with wisdom. Belief by faith in metaphysical (untestable) claims such as the existence of gods is not wisdom. Even intelligence is not wisdom, as intelligent people often use that intelligence foolishly. I can tell you what wisdom is in a single sentence, just as I can tell you what faith is in a single sentence. The concepts are easy to define and understand. If intelligence relates to problem solving and the ability to get what one desires, wisdom is knowing what things will bring happiness, what things to direct one's intelligence to solve. And faith is nothing more or less than unjustified belief, which as I indicated is the same as guessing and believing one's guess to the same extent that one's justified beliefs are believed.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If we are only the sum of our DNA, then we are programmed to think exactly what we are going to. Our truth would not be objective, it would be severely limited to our perspective, and our perspective would just be the result of random chance.

"Appeal to consequences is a fallacy in which someone concludes that a statement, belief, or hypothesis must be true (or false) simply because it would lead to desirable (or undesirable) consequences if it were so." As we will see, your claims, none of which you support, are based in how you want the world to be. The empiricist doesn't do that. I'm not sure what you mean by saying that our truth would not be objective or that our perspective is the result of random chance, but if this is a godless universe that was created by blind, purposeless forces, and free wiull is just an illusion, then that's how it is, and we should want to discover and know that. Arguments that say, for example, that such and such can't be true, because then there wouldn't be free will are examples of this fallacy.

Man spends an enormous amount of time searching for Transcendence, and theists see this as evidence that we are more than the sum of our DNA.

I see it as evidence that many seek to be the most that they can be. Transcendence in this context is self-actualization and delivery from superstition, faith, and magical thinking. Trading faith-based thought for critical thought is transcending unenlightened thought. The humanist seeks to transcend natural urges that evolved in pre-intellectual animal life that now are destructive in his modern world. He sees the masses believing in gods and wasting resources and opportunities in the service of those beliefs, and seeks to transcend that. Here are several statements of personal transcendence (adapted from a statement by M M O'Hair on atheism):
  • The humanist loves his fellow man instead of god. The humanist believes that heaven is something for which we should work now; here on earth for all men together to enjoy. The humanist believes that he can get no help through prayer but that he must find in himself the inner conviction, and strength to meet life, to grapple with it, to subdue it and enjoy it. The humanist believes that only in a knowledge of himself and a knowledge of his fellow man can he find the understanding that will help to a life of fulfillment. The humanist seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. The humanist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. The humanist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. The humanist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death. He wants disease conquered, poverty vanquished, war eliminated. He wants man to understand and love man. He wants an ethical way of life. He believes that we cannot rely on a god or channel action into prayer nor hope for an end of troubles in a hereafter. He believes that we are our brother's keepers; and are keepers of our own lives; that we are responsible persons and the job is here and the time is now
God doesn't force himself on anyone as far as I can tell. He could, but that wouldn't be love.

Yes, sometimes love requires forcing oneself on another.

I don't have much use for the Christian conception of love, which includes blood sacrifice and persecution of gays, nor its concept of justice, which includes eternal gratuitous suffering for being human and not begging forgiveness for that fact, or granting yourself forgiveness for muttering at the ceiling fan. If you stand for and have been informed by that religion, your opinions on what is loving (or just) won't have much value to the humanist, whose understanding of those things comes from the application of reason to the Golden Rule.

Also, the reason this god doesn't force itself on anybody is the same as the reason it doesn't answer prayer or intercede in childhood rape and leukemia, or do anything else detectable.

Why would reason be reliable in a world created by blind causation?

Why wouldn't a godless universe run on rational principles that a sufficiently evolved intelligence could discern? The world is comprehensible to such creatures. You want to use that fact to bootstrap a deity into it as if one were needed in a comprehensible universe, but you haven't even tried to make that argument - just the unevidenced, unargued claim - and you know how those are viewed by the critical thinker.

We can't know reason is even reasonable in a godless universe

We don't need to know that. We only need to know that it is possible, which includes all ideas such as a comprehensible godless universe not previously shown to be impossible. You seem to assume without evidence or argument that it is impossible. You can't know that. You don't know that, even if you firmly believe that you do.

Look around you. Man longs for a perfect, peaceful existence but always fails to obtain it. Either the longing should not exist, or perfection is possible only when we reach paradise.

When I look around me, I see hundreds of people that have achieved happy, satisfying lives lived in paradise. Maybe that's why so few here are religious or church goers. Perfection is not required, just good habits of thought and deed. Being at peace with oneself and his surroundings in a safe and secure environment in which one finds love, beauty, and meaning is more than sufficient.

Do you not also have that? I know that you live life your way in a setting you consider beautiful. You are likely not threatened by homelessness of hunger. Hopefully you experience love and beauty. If so, haven't you also found what you claim we all fail to obtain? Has you faith made that seem like not enough? Has your faith taught you that it is all vanity, just dust in the wind, and a meaningless existence if there is no god or afterlife If so, it has cheated you.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Wow you totally missed the point. If reason is unreliable, there's no " true statements."

You're thinking is backward to me. Reason has been shown to be reliable, and demonstrably correct ideas are discoverable and can be put to work anticipating outcomes and controlling experience. And there is no evidence for deities, and nothing that requires that they exist.

If there's more than the physical mind then there's room for self actualization. Otherwise you are just a meat robot.

There you go again. Whatever it is you mean by meat robot, if that's what we are, that's what the critical thinker wishes to discover and understand. That you find that possibility offensive is of no consequence. Many theists are offended at being classified as animals or having evolved from more primitive apes. Such preferences don't change reality. You may well be a meat bag if by that you mean a fleshy product of evolution. And you may be a robot if by that you mean a creature determined by your genetics and environment. Again, what you prefer or find offensive is irrelevant to what reality is.

Objective reasoning can't exist in a godless universe.

I don't know what objective reasoning is, but reasoning leading to sound and demonstrably correct conclusions doesn't require a supernatural realm or denizen, just a comprehensible universe and minds sufficiently evolved to comprehend it.

You still don't get it. Your perception of reality is weird to most of the human race.

Transcendence does that for a person. Most of the human race is mired in superstition and faith, and they often recognize when somebody else has found a different way of thinking. Not everybody, though. This is what defines the Dunning-Kruger crowd - their inability to recognize that others can transcend them intellectually. They're the people who say, "That's just your opinion" to critical thinkers with facts. They don't recognize the possibility that they can know more, because they are unaware of a method that generates truth better than their guesses (faith), which they project onto others, hence, their unenlightened opinion that all opinions are equal. These are the people more willing to listen to Trump than Fauci, for example. They don't recognize a difference except a difference of opinion. Just rising to the level of the person who knows little more than that there is such a thing as an expert and recognizing who that is is transcendence from Dunning-Krugerville.

Laws created by chance can't be said to create meaning or free will.

There is nothing in this universe known to require a supernatural intelligent designer.

There's no objective reality available in atheism. Your perception is all you have.

Your perception is all you have as well. For me, that has led me to a worldview that works for me. It doesn't revolve around conceptions like objective (or absolute or ultimate) reality (or truth). Those are metaphysical concepts, and as such, shouldn't be considered to be more than mental models that we imagine underlie intelligible experience. Our reality is the one in our heads, which always contains a subjective component as the imagined noumena are rendered as conscious phenomena. There's your reality, objective or otherwise.

No the universe created those things by chance when it accidentally created you. You are just a cog in a wheel.

Whatever you mean by that, so are you. You seem to think that your beliefs make you something different from those who don't hold them. You're wrong. If they're meat bags, so are you. If they're cogs, so are you. If they have no objective reality, then neither do you.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Your faith is to be used in helping feed and clothe

Not needed. My conscience is used for that. In fact, what does it mean that you wouldn't do that anyway without the belief that a deity exists that expects it of you?

you are free to live without prayer. I choose to reap the benefits of prayer.

You are free to live with prayer. I choose reason. I choose action.

prayer is also better than doing nothing

Not really. Doing something is better that doing nothing whether you also pray or not. The STEP study showed us that. I realize that you have problems with the study design, but the scientific community vets the study design prior to funding it and then again in peer review once the paper is published. The church is not a peer. Lay opinions in conflict with the experts have no standing with the scientific community or the community of critical thinkers. The creationists need to be reminded of this frequently when they claim that the theory of evolution doesn't meet their standards and is disputed. Uninformed opinions aren't being debated except by the uniformed.

Don't blame God for the responsibility that He gave us.

Does every theist have trouble with the concept that atheists don't believe in gods or God? Atheists don't blame gods any more than they blame vampires and leprechauns. Presumably you don't believe in the latter either, and can imagine understand what you would think of somebody who does believe in them but keeps speaking to you as if you do as well. "Don't blame the leprechauns for you not being able to find the pot of gold." "But I don't. I don't believe they exist." "Why are you in open rebellion with leprechauns?" "I'm not. There are no such things." "You know in your heart that there are, but you want to avoid accountability to them." [sigh] "Whatever."

Which proves the reality that you really aren't seeking answers. Point, set, match.

You have no answers, just faith-based guesses. And a great game of pigeon chess.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Whuh? :confused:
You'll need to explain why that would be the case.
I just did.

Here it is again for an Orthodox source:

" Very recently Sam Harris, one of the so-called ‘four horsemen of the apocalypse‘, released a book on free will, arguing that it is nothing more than an illusion. If materialism is true, that is undoubtedly correct.3 In such a reductionist paradigm, since man is an amalgam of material systems, and since material systems are bound by the laws of cause and effect, man is merely a determined machine. We may perceive that we are freely making our choices, but this is nothing more than a perception. Logically, every decision would be nothing more than the result of the antecedent state of the universe."

KWED

Scratching head, scratching knee
EXACTLY! And prayer is also better than doing nothing :)
We have an agreement!!
WOOHOO!
Oh dear.
We determine how effective the treatment is by testing. The results are reliable enough to produce stats on survival rates, probability of outcomes, etc.
There is no such data for prayer. When someone prays for a cancer patient, they can't tell them they have a 70% chance of recovery or that it will prolong their life by 2 years or whatever.

Also, there is no evidence that prayer is better than nothing. Some studies have shown it is actually worse than doing nothing.
And prayer instead of treatment is definitely worse (which does happen).

KWED

Some people do worse with radiation.
What do you mean by that?
We know that some treatments have side effects. The patient is informed of it and if the side-effect is too debilitating the treatment is changed.
Not sure how that affects the argument that there is no evidence that prayer works.

Which proves the reality that you really aren't seeking answers.
Oh, the irony!

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Whatever you mean by that, so are you. You seem to think that your beliefs make you something different from those who don't hold them. You're wrong. If they're meat bags, so are you. If they're cogs, so are you. If they have no objective reality, then neither do you.
I don't live in that universe, in case you have forgotten. I live in the universe of free will and Transcendence. My actions actually matter and effect the world as opposed to being only the farts of the universe.

KWED

Then why would your evolution create them? They would be useless in a survival of the fittest world, in fact they would be detrimental.
1. Evolution does not "create" anything. Environmental pressure "selects" certain mutations if they are beneficial.
2. If a trait made a species better able to reproduce, it would be useful. ("Survival of the fittest" doesn't mean "the strongest survive", it means "those best suited to their environment survive". "Fit" as in "fit for purpose". It is a common misunderstanding.)
3. The urge to have more food, mate with more partners, acquire more resources, etc would obviously be beneficial in an evolutionary context.

Religionists with no understanding of evolution should really avoid commenting on it. This video should help...

KWED

The longer for Transcendence was what we were talking about. Not physical longings.
What "longing for transcendence"? I certainly don't have such an urge.
We know that primitive people would invent supernatural answers for the unknown, but such superstition is no longer necessary.

KWED

No it doesn't. If there's more than the physical mind then there's room for self actualization.
We know that the electro-chemical activity in the physical brain is responsible for what we call "consciousness". We can alter consciousness to order by altering that activity.
There is no evidence that there is any external element involved in consciousness. In fact, every attempt to demonstrate such an external component has failed.
Obviously the evidence is not conclusive, but it certainly strongly suggests that the mind and the brain are essentially two parts of the same thing.

Why do you think that self actualisation is not possible if our consciousness is simply a product of the physical brain?

Otherwise you are just a meat robot.
Ironically, it is under religion that we are reduced to "meat robots". If god determines our destiny and is infallibly omniscient, we have no choice but to follow the inevitable path already laid out for us.

KWED

And yet there are other studies that say otherwise.
So it seems to fall into the category of random chance events.

Could there be variables that are not addressed in the studies?
As the studies in question should be triple-blind, randomised trials, then no.
What variables do you believe are at work, and how do they affect the outcomes?

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Ironically, it is under religion that we are reduced to "meat robots". If god determines our destiny and is infallibly omniscient, we have no choice but to follow the inevitable path already laid out for us.
And why would you think that the universe doesn't do the same through random selection? And you don't understand that God allows libertarian free will, his knowledge doesn't need to determine everything.

KWED

Objective reasoning can't exist in a godless universe.
Why not?

And many atheists recognize that.
Do they? I recognise that most decisions are subjective, but that doesn't mean that objective reasoning is impossible.

You are just a meat robot in a universe created by chance.
A sentient meat machine, yes, but not a robot. (Who do you think does the programming if there is no god?)
Why is it a problem if the universe formed by chance?

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
of love, which includes blood sacrifice and persecution of gays, nor its concept of justice, which includes eternal gratuitous suffering for being human and not begging forgiveness for that fact, or granting yourself forgiveness for muttering at the ceiling fan. If you stand for and have been informed by that religion, your opinions on what is loving (or just) won't have much value to the humanist, whose understanding of those things comes from the application of reason to the Golden Rule.
I don't even recognize that religion because you just invented it. That's not Christianity.

KWED

OK... I think we have a definite on this one!

I don't want to go circular on this one.

If you would like to take it in a better and different direction?
There is a clear pattern developing. You really don't like having to address difficult issues, do you.