• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dreams and visions.

Alceste

Vagabond
I'm hoping TsalagiElder and Painted Wolf might give me a little general advice about dreaming. When I was younger (late teens, early twenties), I had vivid dreams and visions that I felt helped me understand the meaning and purpose of my life, or the direction I was heading. Although I tried to integrate what I learned from those dreams and still feel like I'm on the right path, It's been years since I've had these types of dreams. I still hear and follow the direction of my heart - my higher self or whatever you want to call it - in waking life but it no longer speaks in my dreams (at least not loud enough for me to remember it in the morning).

In your culture, is there any way to recover the ability to dream like this, or is this a normal part of growing older? I did a lot of intense ritual and meditation in nature back then too, and I don't do that any more. So maybe I have answered my own question, lol. Still I would appreciate any advice.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Hi, Alceste,

I'll throw in my two cents here: I think you have answered your own question, but I'll add this: when you listen, you hear. It sounds like you set yourself up to hear all of your life. The spirits may not need to reach your conscious mind through dreams anymore, and thus your dreams are not dramatic or memorable.

Or, maybe you need to start doing ritual and meditation again, and maybe the dreams will return. But they're a channel, a gift, and if not needed, won't be used much. At least in my experience.

Alceste

Vagabond
Hi, Alceste,

I'll throw in my two cents here: I think you have answered your own question, but I'll add this: when you listen, you hear. It sounds like you set yourself up to hear all of your life. The spirits may not need to reach your conscious mind through dreams anymore, and thus your dreams are not dramatic or memorable.

Or, maybe you need to start doing ritual and meditation again, and maybe the dreams will return. But they're a channel, a gift, and if not needed, won't be used much. At least in my experience.

Sounds about right to me. In those days, the changes I needed to go through to get onto a good path were pretty dramatic, so I guess it makes a bit of sense that they were accompanied by dreams that seemed a lot more profound and memorable than the ones I have now.

Still, I do feel like something is missing. In addition to the crazy dreams, my forehead used to burn a lot of the time, I used to get an occasional glimpse of things I couldn't have known and I used to be able to find the things and people I wanted just by wandering. Now I look everything up on the internet. lol.

Thanks for your input.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Sounds about right to me. In those days, the changes I needed to go through to get onto a good path were pretty dramatic, so I guess it makes a bit of sense that they were accompanied by dreams that seemed a lot more profound and memorable than the ones I have now.

Still, I do feel like something is missing. In addition to the crazy dreams, my forehead used to burn a lot of the time, I used to get an occasional glimpse of things I couldn't have known and I used to be able to find the things and people I wanted just by wandering. Now I look everything up on the internet. lol.

Thanks for your input.

There have been times in my life where I have awakened with virtually no recall of the dreams, but aware that all through the night I had been engaged in great effort--nightwork, my beloved calls it. And there have been times that I've been aware or awakened and remembered just what it was I was working on...It seems to me that we live at least as much in the spirit/dream world as we do in the mundane, maybe even more.

But I still rarely find what I'm looking for on the internet. :D

Alceste

Vagabond
There have been times in my life where I have awakened with virtually no recall of the dreams, but aware that all through the night I had been engaged in great effort--nightwork, my beloved calls it. And there have been times that I've been aware or awakened and remembered just what it was I was working on...It seems to me that we live at least as much in the spirit/dream world as we do in the mundane, maybe even more.

But I still rarely find what I'm looking for on the internet. :D

Touché!

It seems that way to me as well - I often wake up more tired than when I went to bed but I can't remember a thing. That could be because I wake up to an alarm and have to rush off to work right away.

I think I will ask for this to be moved to shamanism DIR (I didn't know there was one). Maybe this is not the best place for a general discussion of dreaming - I appreciate input from anyone who values dreaming. :)

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I don't know how to make dreams happen.... but I agree focusing and clearing your mind can't hurt.

I find being rested actually helps me with dreams... if I'm really tired then I just sleep.

wa:do

I'm hoping TsalagiElder and Painted Wolf might give me a little general advice about dreaming. When I was younger (late teens, early twenties), I had vivid dreams and visions that I felt helped me understand the meaning and purpose of my life, or the direction I was heading. Although I tried to integrate what I learned from those dreams and still feel like I'm on the right path, It's been years since I've had these types of dreams. I still hear and follow the direction of my heart - my higher self or whatever you want to call it - in waking life but it no longer speaks in my dreams (at least not loud enough for me to remember it in the morning).

In your culture, is there any way to recover the ability to dream like this, or is this a normal part of growing older? I did a lot of intense ritual and meditation in nature back then too, and I don't do that any more. So maybe I have answered my own question, lol. Still I would appreciate any advice.

Alceste, just a question, in your younger days the dreams that you were having did they accomplish what you expected them to do?... If those dreams accomplished what they were meant to do, then it's not likely that your going to have those dreams again, usually intense dreams like that come to us in times of great peril or need, once that time has passed there is no need for those dreams. You sound like you're very comfortable in your life for now, so there is no way that you will have those type of dreams again. I personally went through some great tumultuous times for a couple years and the dreams that I had during that time is what helped keep me alive, now that I am much older and very comfortable with what is going on in my life, I have no need for those types of dreams, the only dreams that I look forward to now will be when my travels in this world will come an end and will continue in the next world.osay

Alceste

Vagabond
I don't know how to make dreams happen.... but I agree focusing and clearing your mind can't hurt.

I find being rested actually helps me with dreams... if I'm really tired then I just sleep.

Yeah, a regular sleep pattern would probably do me a world of good. My situation has been kind of bizarre for the last few years, and at the moment my sleeping pattern has been something like this:

9 PM: Really tired, pick up a good book to wind down for the night and immediately nod off.

11 PM: Wide awake. Pick up the book again, or a gadget to surf the net until I get tired again.

2-3 AM: Finally get tired enough to sleep.

5 AM: Wide awake again (back to the book)

6-7 AM: nod off again,

8 AM: Alarm, off to work.

I don't know what's going on there - I don't normally fight to be either sleepy or not sleepy at a fixed time, I just go with the flow. But the flow is pretty bizarre lately and I feel kind of tired a lot of the time.

Alceste

Vagabond
Alceste, just a question, in your younger days the dreams that you were having did they accomplish what you expected them to do?...

I'm not entirely sure, to be honest. The dreams told me a lot about myself, my direction in life and my relationships. I feel I've been fairly faithful in trying to apply what I learned and fairly true to my nature as it was revealed to me. But the dreams and associated awakening sent me off in a difficult direction - it may take my whole life to get to my destination. It's taken 15 years to just to get where I am, which is right where I started, but for some reason much closer to where I'm going.

If those dreams accomplished what they were meant to do, then it's not likely that your going to have those dreams again, usually intense dreams like that come to us in times of great peril or need, once that time has passed there is no need for those dreams. You sound like you're very comfortable in your life for now, so there is no way that you will have those type of dreams again. I personally went through some great tumultuous times for a couple years and the dreams that I had during that time is what helped keep me alive, now that I am much older and very comfortable with what is going on in my life, I have no need for those types of dreams, the only dreams that I look forward to now will be when my travels in this world will come an end and will continue in the next world.osay

Thanks for sharing this. :) I appreciate your feedback.

To be honest, things are becoming a little clearer, writing about it. After I had all these crazy dreams and everything was falling into place like clockwork to place me squarely in the middle of my vision, I ran off. I did everything I could think of except what my dreams showed me I most wanted to do.

I was afraid to be alone. The path I'm on seemed pretty alienating 15 years ago. I thought maybe I should get a boyfriend instead, so I traveled all over the world looking for a good one. I eventually found him in England. But my vision wouldn't let me go, so I dragged him back to where I had all these crazy dreams, and where this crazy life I need to live is possible. Now it looks like I can have my cake and eat it too, so I guess you could say I'm feeling pretty comfortable. :D

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Yeah, a regular sleep pattern would probably do me a world of good. My situation has been kind of bizarre for the last few years, and at the moment my sleeping pattern has been something like this:

9 PM: Really tired, pick up a good book to wind down for the night and immediately nod off.

11 PM: Wide awake. Pick up the book again, or a gadget to surf the net until I get tired again.

2-3 AM: Finally get tired enough to sleep.

5 AM: Wide awake again (back to the book)

6-7 AM: nod off again,

8 AM: Alarm, off to work.

I don't know what's going on there - I don't normally fight to be either sleepy or not sleepy at a fixed time, I just go with the flow. But the flow is pretty bizarre lately and I feel kind of tired a lot of the time.
LoL... I hear that... I have a two year old who still won't sleep through the night. :cover:

Alceste

Vagabond
LoL... I hear that... I have a two year old who still won't sleep through the night. :cover:

What drives me nuts about it is, if you tally that up, it adds up to ELEVEN HOURS of lounging around in a bed every night (although sometimes the 9-11 PM stage happens in a really comfy chair - I call it my pre-bedtime nap), without the benefit of waking up feeling well-rested.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
What drives me nuts about it is, if you tally that up, it adds up to ELEVEN HOURS of lounging around in a bed every night (although sometimes the 9-11 PM stage happens in a really comfy chair - I call it my pre-bedtime nap), without the benefit of waking up feeling well-rested.
Have you considered a sleep study? My spouse has sleep apnea and she goes through phases like that when she isn't on her machine. Technically your body only needs a few hours of sleep at a time to rest up, if you are still feeling tired it may be a sign of something more important than insomnia.

Alceste

Vagabond
Have you considered a sleep study? My spouse has sleep apnea and she goes through phases like that when she isn't on her machine. Technically your body only needs a few hours of sleep at a time to rest up, if you are still feeling tired it may be a sign of something more important than insomnia.

True - my suspicion is anxiety and too much coffee, though. When I was landscaping I had no problem sleeping like a log all night. Now I sit on my arse in a dirty office in a cold warehouse alone all day in an industrial estate. I drink coffee by the gallon to keep warm and because the only place where there are other humans that I can walk to on breaks is a coffee shop.

Maybe I should switch to decaf? :p

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
True - my suspicion is anxiety and too much coffee, though. When I was landscaping I had no problem sleeping like a log all night. Now I sit on my arse in a dirty office in a cold warehouse alone all day in an industrial estate. I drink coffee by the gallon to keep warm and because the only place where there are other humans that I can walk to on breaks is a coffee shop.

Maybe I should switch to decaf? :p
LoL... might be a good idea to start with. But if you still have problems it's better safe than sorry.

Well I see some big changes in your life and environment, that could account for what's happening. Instead of drinking coffee all day long, see if that coffee shop that you go to has some type of herbal teas and try that instead and when you get home take a little bit a time to sit down and relax, turn on some relaxing music or find a favorite CD and sit back and listen. Always try to take some time for yourself just to unwind from the day's events.

Alceste

Vagabond
Well I see some big changes in your life and environment, that could account for what's happening. Instead of drinking coffee all day long, see if that coffee shop that you go to has some type of herbal teas and try that instead and when you get home take a little bit a time to sit down and relax, turn on some relaxing music or find a favorite CD and sit back and listen. Always try to take some time for yourself just to unwind from the day's events.

Good ideas. I'm sure they have all kind of things besides coffee, but I am such a junkie for coffee... Maybe I'll phase myself out with decaf, then switch to tea. :)

Good ideas. I'm sure they have all kind of things besides coffee, but I am such a junkie for coffee... Maybe I'll phase myself out with decaf, then switch to tea. :)

I know how you feel about coffee, believe me I'm the same way, have to have my cup of coffee in the morning to get started, but I don't drink any coffee after 12noon and usually about midday I fix a cup of herbal tea and sweeten it with honey, not sugar or any other artificial sweeteners and sit back and relax.:)

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I know how you feel about coffee, believe me I'm the same way, have to have my cup of coffee in the morning to get started, but I don't drink any coffee after 12noon and usually about midday I fix a cup of herbal tea and sweeten it with honey, not sugar or any other artificial sweeteners and sit back and relax.:)

During my doctoral study days, I adapted to living on about five hours of sleep a day (3-4 at night, and an afternoon nap). It took about three years before I could string together six to eight at a time again, and I still sometimes don't get more than a few in a night. But it's getting better. Caffeine was a staple during that time, but I've had to cut back considerably--none at all after midday any more. I recommend meditation or some light relaxing exercise to unwind...but I don't do that as often as I should myself. ;) The spirits of coffee and tea can be used, but they do demand a price from you as well. And taking it refined, as in soda or energy drinks, just doesn't have much to recommend it to me anymore.

It sounds like you need more face time with real people, Alceste. Maybe a different job?

Alceste

Vagabond
During my doctoral study days, I adapted to living on about five hours of sleep a day (3-4 at night, and an afternoon nap). It took about three years before I could string together six to eight at a time again, and I still sometimes don't get more than a few in a night. But it's getting better. Caffeine was a staple during that time, but I've had to cut back considerably--none at all after midday any more. I recommend meditation or some light relaxing exercise to unwind...but I don't do that as often as I should myself. ;) The spirits of coffee and tea can be used, but they do demand a price from you as well. And taking it refined, as in soda or energy drinks, just doesn't have much to recommend it to me anymore.

It sounds like you need more face time with real people, Alceste. Maybe a different job?

This IS my different job. lol. You should have seen the last two! They put me off working with other humans for good.

I live with my grandmother and fiance, and I teach music and am very involved with my community, so there are human faces around. What I really need is time for myself - not working, not teaching, not working on community projects.