• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dutch Doctors Call for Circumcision Ban

Levite

Higher and Higher
Can you give me some good reasons why Circumcision shouldn't be illegal ???

I already have.

Because it is a core part of the cultural/religious traditions of Jews and Muslims. Because as such, it is valued by them, and by and large is not protested or fought against, and nobody is suggesting exceptions for anyone but these groups, or any like them-- an exception which will have absolutely no relevance to or impact upon the lives of non-Jewish or non-Muslim cultures. And because supposedly, Western values of today are supposed to include respect and tolerance for the cultures of others, even when they are very different from one's own cultures.

I had, up until recently, presumed that pluralism, even as simple and forthrightly put as "tolerance, rather than intolerance," was actually a pretty good reason to refrain from cultural imperialism and oppression of religious practitioners. I must say, I am somewhat taken aback to find that I was apparently incorrect.

D-MITCH777

You do have a right to practice your own cultural practices, but don't you think your child also has a right not to have to be circumcised without hes consent. If they won't it done when they are older then that is up to them, but don't you think they should be able to choose??

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
So long as the exorcism does no lasting harm to the one being exorcised, and if the exorcism is a key part of the tradition of the group in question, then yes. And before any objection is raised, I will utterly reject the premise that circumcision is a lasting harm to anyone. It does not interfere with the proper functioning of the penis, and any loss of sensation is negligible, if even extant.
I saw the documentary "It's a Boy" a few weeks ago, in which the filmmaker explores the issues around circumcision in deciding to have her son circumcised. During the documentary, she interviewed a man who had been circumcised as an adult; he said that he had had sex before circumcision and after, and there was a definite loss in sensation from before circumcision to after.

The only support I've seen for the claim that it doesn't affect sensation has come from men who were circumcised as infants, who have no frame of reference for what sex feels like uncircumcised, who say things like "well, it feels just fine to me."

What evidence do you have for your claim?

I'm not sure that "decent" is the word I'd use to describe those sites. "Rather obviously biased" would be more appropriate, IMO.

Personally, I prefer a source that doesn't have a dog in this fight: the Canadian Pediatric Society.

Neonatal Circumcision Revisited

It's useful to recall that Judaism, and to some extent Islam as well, is more than pure religion. "Religion" seems to be a word that implies a philosophy, a set of beliefs as a comparatively abstracted concept. Judaism is a socioreligious ethnicity. The religion and the culture are inextricably intertwined. To grant no status or privilege to Judaism is the same as cultural imperialism against any other minority or non-Western culture, and I would imagine something similar would be true for Islam.
So equality is imperialism? That's a new one.

If the scarification is an integral part of cultural and spiritual identity; and if it seems clear that those people who have been scarified do not generally protest and regret the fact in retrospect, but rather embrace the element of identity that it represents, then yes, I say it would be incredibly presumptuous and high-handed for foreigners to come in and say "Your culture is wrong. We know better than you." That would appear to be the inverse of pluralism and tolerance.
It's complicated (much like circumcision, I'd bet): it is considered an integral part of cultural and spiritual identity by some, but others within the same culture consider it outmoded and inappropriate. The movement to suppress the practice largely comes within these African cultures themselves.

Except, again, the children of these cultures are not protesting: they are not claiming any "deprivation of choice." This is an idea that is being externally imposed on the Muslims and Jews.

I still don't see how this is any different from the government coming in and saying that I can't raise my child as a Jew, because the government believes Judaism is wrong.
The issue isn't with Judaism per se; it's with indoctrination and denial of freedom.

It may very well be that Jewish children will grow up to decide to be Jews themselves and choose to be circumcised, but when you decide for them, you deny them a choice that, IMO, ought to belong to them.

The point here is that the Netherlands claims to be a country in which there is pluralism and tolerance, and the rights of people to preserve their cultural and religious heritage are upheld.
That brings us to a big question: is there such a thing as collective rights, or are human rights vested solely in individuals?

You circumcizing your son has nothing to do with your son's exercise of his own rights. At 8 days old, he's expressed no will that's being allowed or curtailed. The question is entirely about whether you have the right to impose your beliefs upon him.

The argument that you should be able to do this is one rooted in the idea that cultures and groups have rights independent of their individual members.

... and if we're going to accept this assertion, I'm not sure what grounds we have to reject similar assertions for other groups... for the nation as a whole to choose to prohibit routine infant circumcision, for instance.

This is a fundamental, core part of the cultural and religious heritage of Jews and Muslims.
Not hurting babies needlessly is a fundamental, core part of my cultural heritage. How do we resolve this conflict?

What I am protesting is hypocrisy. If Holland wishes to ban circumcision without an exception for religious reasons, fine. They are a sovereign nation, and can do whatever they like. But then they should make it clear that they are not pluralistic, they are not tolerant, and they do not support the rights of people to preserve their cultural and religious heritage. In other words, they are a Christian nation, or an atheist nation, or an Enlightened nation, or whatever the hell they want to call themselves, but Jews and Muslims are not welcome unless they assimilate and apostasize.
Would you say the same for a culture that doesn't allow tribal scarification? Or what about a culture that doesn't allow parents to tattoo their children even if the parents consider the tattoos very, very meaningful?

Isn't it hypocritical to ban these things while granting an exception to normal rules for Jewish and Muslim circumcision?

They have every right to make such laws: countries can legislate as they please within their own boundaries. But let's not have any kind of charade that says, "We can force you to give up a central part of your cultural and religious tradition, but no, really, we totally respect your tradition and your right to preserve your culture." That's just sanctimonious double-dealing. The Dutch can't have it both ways. And if they want to crap on our cultural and religious traditions, fine, nobody can stop them, but let them have the guts to call it what it is, and acknowledge that the choice they are presenting us is that we either knuckle under and give up our religion and culture, or get the hell out of the Netherlands.
Who's saying that the law needs to embody respect of any religion, tradition or culture?

IMO, if a culture's traditions aren't compatible with reasonable, secular values, then it's entirely appropriate for the law not to respect them.

And I think a similar argument to yours can be made for the stance in favour of circumcision: you're trying to have it both ways. If you're going to go around chopping off babies' foreskins without acutally knowing whether this is what they really want, then you should have the guts to say that individual human rights and personal freedom are secondary in your worldview.

The thing that you're advocating is the right to inflict unnecessary physical suffering on a child in order to attempt to define his identity for him. IMO, this is very devaluing to the individual on several levels.

Levite

Higher and Higher
So equality is imperialism? That's a new one.

I said cultural imperialism. The notion that because a person can deem there to be problems with a culture not their own, regardless of whether the culture itself finds there to be anything problematic occurring, and to use that supposition as a moral justification for undermining or exterminating the culture in question. And it is entirely applicable here.

The issue isn't with Judaism per se; it's with indoctrination and denial of freedom. It may very well be that Jewish children will grow up to decide to be Jews themselves and choose to be circumcised, but when you decide for them, you deny them a choice...the question is entirely about whether you have the right to impose your beliefs upon him.
You are ignoring the fact that cultures-- any cultures-- are dependent upon acculturation. People don't grow up in a vacuum and then make decisions about which culture they shall join, and what values of available cultures they shall see fit to adopt. We are acculturated by being raised as participants in a culture, by members of that culture. People may, later in life, make decisions that lead to deculturation and adoption of a different culture or set of values than what they were initially acculturated into. But this is inevitably a very difficult process, and many who do it find that it takes a very long and hard time indeed before they are as successfully acculturated into their culture of adoption as their culture of nurturance.

We have seen that the children of secularized Jews, who have not been immersively acculturated into Jewish society and tradition, are apathetic to it, and become lost to us. Not because they made reasoned choices to depart from Judaism, but because in never having been made part of it, they have never learned to value it. And any other threatened culture can show parallels to this. Native American cultures, other indigenous cultures in other areas, immigrants from strongly cultured lands who are transplanted into deculturated Western societies and pressured to assimilate-- all have similar stories.

Telling Jews that they cannot raise their children as Jews is absolutely cultural genocide. The same as making Native American children give up their tribal identities and native languages and suchlike; the same as forcing Australian Aborigines to hand their kids over to white folks to acculturate as Westerners instead of in their native cultures.

There is no excuse for this. There was no excuse for it when the conquistadores and French and British did it to the Native Americans. There was no excuse for it when Europeans did it in Africa. There was no excuse for it when Americans did it to immigrants from Ireland and Eastern Europe and Italy or now to Mexicans and South Americans. There is no excuse for Europeans doing it to Muslim and African immigrants today. And there is no excuse now, nor has there ever been an excuse, for doing it to the Jews.

The argument that you should be able to do this is one rooted in the idea that cultures and groups have rights independent of their individual members.
Yes, that cultures are to some degree greater than the sum of their parts. It's an outgrowth of a communitarian social ethic. Judaism is a culture-- like many other cultures-- that places a very high value on communitarianism. The notion that the rights of the individual are supreme of the supreme in all but the most exigent circumstances is a very new concept, really only a couple of hundred years old, and it is extremely American, and to a lesser degree, French and Dutch. Its adoption by the rest of Europe is incomplete, and to the degree that it is complete, is a matter of decades.

Most other cultures are far more communitarian, and far less individualistic.

I'm not saying that the rights of the individual are a bad thing, or should always be subject to the needs of the community. I would never say that.

But part of the ethics of Jewish society-- a social ethic certainly shared by most Muslim societies, and by many other societies as well-- is that while it is an excellent thing for the individual to have many rights, well-protected, it is also to be expected that membership in a society involves responsibilities, and duties, and commitments to things outside oneself.

Sometimes these involve duties that non-Jews seem to find more sympathetic, such as caring for the poor, or encouraging and supporting universal education. Sometimes the duties are those that non-Jews find less sympathy for, because they are unlike the responsibilities of non-Jewish society, and so engender discomfort or fear or derision: circumcision, endogamy, shechitah (ritual slaughter), kashrut, or strict observance of Shabbat or holidays.

These are duties that we either have collectively to God, or we all have to one another, in order to maintain and preserve Jewish culture and tradition, so that we and all our descendants may enjoy its benefits and learn from its rich history and use it as the very successful way of life that it has always been for us. And we are taught to expect that, while it is a duty of the arbiters of tradition to ensure that its responsibilities do not overburden us, it is also our responsibility to sometimes prioritize what is best for the Jewish People over our own inclinations and whims, or over what non-Jews tell us would be "better" ways for us to live our lives.

Part of what makes a society is that its members are expected to contribute to it, in part by obeying and preserving its paradigmatic structures and rules. And, at least IMO, there is something wrong with expecting that individuals should have limitless rights and privileges, but never have to fulfill demands upon themselves for the good of their society if they find those demands at all irksome. Such a conceit is the product of an extremely privileged and somewhat narcissistic worldview.

Would you say the same for a culture that doesn't allow tribal scarification? Or what about a culture that doesn't allow parents to tattoo their children even if the parents consider the tattoos very, very meaningful?
Cultures have different modes of identification and acculturation. I have not done enough research into cultures that embrace scarification to know what proportion of their society is happy with their traditions as they stand, and whether there are any significant numbers that feel oppressed by their traditions. If it were convincingly demonstrated that most members of such a culture embraced scarification, and it was a core part of their cultural and religious identity, and if such scarification were done in such a way as to be reasonably safe, without undue permanent loss of function, then I would say yes, such a thing should be protected, and externally imposed attempts to eliminate it would be wrong.

I have a friend who is Maori, whose family are traditionalists, and strong proponents of the movement to breathe life into Maori traditions and languages which have been driven to the brink of extinction by Western imperialism (both literal and cultural). His adolescent children are tattooed, and I could not support that more strongly. His culture deeply integrates the narrative and spiritual patterns represented in their tattooes. Such things are potent expressions of identity and selfhood within the culture. I applaud his and his family's dedication to instilling the traditions and values of their ancient people into the new generation, helping to save something tremendously old and precious from becoming yet another example of anthropological uniqueness forced onto the ash-heap of history by Western arrogance and self-righteousness.

Who's saying that the law needs to embody respect of any religion, tradition or culture?
I had been under the impression that generations of American and European political, legal and social philosophers had said so. It seems to have been of concern to the Framers of the Constitution, and to the legal and political leaders of the French Revolution. It was certainly being taught as a social value in law, politics, humanities, and social sciences classes when I was in college.

IMO, if a culture's traditions aren't compatible with reasonable, secular values, then it's entirely appropriate for the law not to respect them.
Which is precisely the same kind of intolerance and oppression that secularists and atheists got at the hands of the Church when Rome was in power, except in reverse this time. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

The thing that you're advocating is the right to inflict unnecessary physical suffering on a child in order to attempt to define his identity for him. IMO, this is very devaluing to the individual on several levels.
No, the thing that I'm advocating is the right for parents to include their children in their culture, in one of the most central and meaningful rites we have, and to participate fully in the covenant the Jewish People have with God. The very minor suffering that the child may experience from circumcision is not, in our view, unnecessary, but an entirely worthwhile sacrifice, greatly ameliorated by the fact that it is done when the child is young enough that they will not remember the pain, but will only enjoy the benefits of being covenanted.

Your concerns are not shared by the vast majority of Jews. Therefore they are your concerns. Which means that you have truly excellent reasons not to become a Jew, or to raise your child as a Jew. And that is as far as it goes.

Last edited:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I personally think that taking this practice away from the Jewish people would be more harmful than allowing the practice.

Unless there is evidence that the practice causes long-term emotional or psychological harm to the child, or that it is excruciatingly painful, or that it commonly causes physical problems in adult life, then I don't see what the big deal is. There are so many worse things that happen to every single person in his/her lifetime, that this is so incredibly minor in comparison.

To reinstate, I would not like to see circumcision become a social norm in my society as it seems to have become in the USA, because I do not like how society tries to make humans ashamed on of their natural selves. But I see the exception of people like the Jews, who have a much more meaningful reason for engaging in this practice that is really not so harmful (as far as I am aware).

ryanam

The above describes every argument I have against this filthy practice. Religion enables otherwise normal humans to do revolting things.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
The above describes every argument I have against this filthy practice. Religion enables otherwise normal humans to do revolting things.
Not all religions circumcise. Some religions discourage it, still others explicitly prohibit it.

ryanam

I was talking in broader terms... in the same way that Islamic extremists find destroying very large buildings filled with people perfectly fine in the name of what they believe.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I was talking in broader terms...
Well, please try not lump all religions in with such a practise. Religions do not stop at Islam, Christianity and Judaism after all.

in the same way that Islamic extremists find destroying very large buildings filled with people perfectly fine in the name of what they believe.
There's a million discussions on such things, so it's not good to get it off topic, but I'd say almost all Muslims say it was unjustified and was an unislamic attack (the verses quoted about killing are for in times of war).

ryanam

Indeed... to most people of most religions, these things are unacceptable. There are always the few, though, who use the religion as a key to doing disgusting things. In this case it's every who has ever taken to mangling a child's genitals... and that's quite a few.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
There are always the few, though, who use the religion as a key to doing disgusting things. In this case it's every who has ever taken to mangling a child's genitals... and that's quite a few.

It's also done in some countries without religious incentive.

For example, in the States, the majority of people are circumcised - religious or not. Not sure why.

A large chunk in South Korea are circumcised, despite only being between 30% to 50% Christian - far more Koreans are circumcised than just Christians.

It was also practised in Africa (including Egypt), so, it's not exactly just religious.

ryanam

I think we can safely say that it stems from religion, in whatever form that might be. There's no proof, whatsoever, that it has provides any kind of health benefit.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I think we can safely say that it stems from religion, in whatever form that might be. There's no proof, whatsoever, that it has provides any kind of health benefit.
It may or may not. The reasons for it may have been believed to be healthier initially, because of smegma if one is not hygienic.

Being born with something and then compelled to cut it off makes me confused, though. Why it would be requested by any God is way beyond me.

murtaad

I've heard that it was mandatory in many parts of the Deep South even well into the 90's. It is was a very common practice here even among the Christians.

In the US during the late 1800s early 1900s there was the thinking that sexuality was bad. Circumcision was pushed to curb male sexual pleasure (which it does) and to stop masturbation (it does make it rather difficult). In Europe, sexuality was and still is considered a natural normal human thing that is not to be repressed.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
You are ignoring the fact that cultures-- any cultures-- are dependent upon acculturation.
I'm not ignoring this; it's just not my primary concern here.

Telling Jews that they cannot raise their children as Jews is absolutely cultural genocide. The same as making Native American children give up their tribal identities and native languages and suchlike; the same as forcing Australian Aborigines to hand their kids over to white folks to acculturate as Westerners instead of in their native cultures.

There is no excuse for this. There was no excuse for it when the conquistadores and French and British did it to the Native Americans. There was no excuse for it when Europeans did it in Africa. There was no excuse for it when Americans did it to immigrants from Ireland and Eastern Europe and Italy or now to Mexicans and South Americans. There is no excuse for Europeans doing it to Muslim and African immigrants today. And there is no excuse now, nor has there ever been an excuse, for doing it to the Jews.
There's a huge difference between the cases you describe and circumcision.

In the case of First Nations peoples, in many cases their cultural genocide was brought about by actual genocide. In other cases, there were deliberate attempts to "westernize" children by denying them knowledge of their culture: they were taken away, put in residential schools, forbidden to speak their language, had no opportunity to learn traditional skills, denied contact with their parents... and later in life, when these children were grown and decided that they wanted to participate in their culture, they didn't know how. They were denied the opportunity to choose.

Now, consider Jewish circumcision: nobody's talking about taking Jewish children away from their parents, making them eat bacon, or forbidding them to learn Hebrew. All that's being suggested is that you wait until the child is old enough understand and clearly express that he wants to be circumcised before you do it.

And in my case, at least, I'm not even talking about a ban. All I'm saying is that while I'm not going to stop you from doing it, I think the practice is profoundly negative.

It's quite a stretch to compare this to the plight of aboriginal communities that suffered through actual cultural genocide. Edit: especially since you're the one trying to deny your children a choice about their culture.

Yes, that cultures are to some degree greater than the sum of their parts. It's an outgrowth of a communitarian social ethic. Judaism is a culture-- like many other cultures-- that places a very high value on communitarianism. The notion that the rights of the individual are supreme of the supreme in all but the most exigent circumstances is a very new concept, really only a couple of hundred years old, and it is extremely American, and to a lesser degree, French and Dutch. Its adoption by the rest of Europe is incomplete, and to the degree that it is complete, is a matter of decades.

Most other cultures are far more communitarian, and far less individualistic.

I'm not saying that the rights of the individual are a bad thing, or should always be subject to the needs of the community. I would never say that.

But part of the ethics of Jewish society-- a social ethic certainly shared by most Muslim societies, and by many other societies as well-- is that while it is an excellent thing for the individual to have many rights, well-protected, it is also to be expected that membership in a society involves responsibilities, and duties, and commitments to things outside oneself.
Does this include responsibilities, duties, and commitments to things outside the Jewish (or Muslim) community?

Part of what makes a society is that its members are expected to contribute to it, in part by obeying and preserving its paradigmatic structures and rules. And, at least IMO, there is something wrong with expecting that individuals should have limitless rights and privileges, but never have to fulfill demands upon themselves for the good of their society if they find those demands at all irksome. Such a conceit is the product of an extremely privileged and somewhat narcissistic worldview.
Is Dutch society a society? What rights does it have? What structures and rules does it have (or could it have) that its members - including Dutch Jews - should be expected to obey?

It seems like you're trying to have it both ways: when the question is the individual's place in the group - as long as the group in question is Jewish - you're all about deference to the group, and its traditions and values. OTOH, when the question is the place of that group within a larger society, you're all about the freedoms of that individual group, and values of the society be damned. I see this stance as hypocritical.

Your concerns are not shared by the vast majority of Jews. Therefore they are your concerns.
Wait - so if my opinion disagrees with Jewish thought, then it's invalid? And you accuse me of cultural imperialism?

Last edited:

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I can't believe that I am seeing so many people refusing to see the problem with this ban.

I can't believe you're refusing to see the problem with your problem with this ban.

Nobody is saying that there can't be a ban: only that there should be an exception for religious purposes.

Then what's the point of a ban? "Well, we'll ban it, unless you really want to have it done." If you're going to ban it, you ban it for everyone equally. Unless you have a medical condition that necessitates a circumcision, there should be no exceptions.

Judaism and Islam do not regard circumcision as mutilation. They regard it as a sacred rite.

That's great, but that doesn't mean it's not mutilation. You can call it whatever you want, but it comes down to it being mutilation.

So what this really boils down to, in refusing an exception for religious purposes, is a bunch of non-Jews and non-Muslims saying, "We don't care about your religious beliefs and your culture. You are wrong about how you want to live, and it is our business to step in and try to make you change your cultural and spiritual beliefs, because we believe that there is a problem with them."

No, what it boils down to is individual rights. Should African scarrification rituals be allowed? It's no different from this.

What if the FDA, or the EU ministry of health, based on the testimony of a tiny number of scientists, from highly debatable evidence, decided that everyone needed certain amino acids or proteins in their diet, and made it compulsory to eat beef? Would it be okay to force vegetarians to start eating meat? How about Hindus? Would it be okay to force them to eat beef, just because a couple of politicians and a few scientists working off hazy data decided that we all need to do it?

No one is forcing anyone to do anything here, and it's especially not forcing people to do something because it's healthier. You'll have to come up with a better analogy than this.

When does forcing someone to break their culture, their ethical and moral choices, and their religious tradition become okay, when the members of that culture, that ethical group, that religious tradition do not object to it, and the condemnation comes only from outsiders? How is that not just oppression cloaked in compassion?

When the ethnic ritual in question is mutilating a baby. You can do anything else you want other than harm someone against their will.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I jumped over this, but I think I should get back to it:

Cultures have different modes of identification and acculturation. I have not done enough research into cultures that embrace scarification to know what proportion of their society is happy with their traditions as they stand, and whether there are any significant numbers that feel oppressed by their traditions. If it were convincingly demonstrated that most members of such a culture embraced scarification, and it was a core part of their cultural and religious identity, and if such scarification were done in such a way as to be reasonably safe, without undue permanent loss of function, then I would say yes, such a thing should be protected, and externally imposed attempts to eliminate it would be wrong.
To sum up what you're saying here: you think it's a good idea to place the government in the role of judging how important a religious practice is - or ought to be - to its members? IOW, you want the government to be the arbiter of what is and isn't legitimate religious expression?

Do you not see any danger in this sort of arrangement?

Don't you - as a member of a minority religion yourself - see the value in getting the government completely out of the business of religion?

Given everything that has happened to the Jewish people over the last century (and in history beforehand), do you really want to support the notion that it's a good idea to have a legal double standard where Jews get treated one way and everyone else gets treated another? I'm sure I don't have to tell you that this has worked out very badly for Jews in the past.

IMO, the best way to ensure the rights of religious people - and all people - is to have a completely secular government. The best way to prevent laws that disadvantage one religious group over another is to make the law completely blind to religion.

Levite

Higher and Higher
In other cases, there were deliberate attempts to "westernize" children by denying them knowledge of their culture...All that's being suggested is that you wait until the child is old enough understand and clearly express that he wants to be circumcised before you do it.

But my point is that "knowledge" of a culture isn't all: they were also denied the experience of their culture, the ability to fully connect to it and be a part of it. By forcing Jews not to circumcise their kids, it would be the same as forcing them to prevent their kids from being able to fully participate in most of the core elements of Jewish culture, since uncircumcised men are not permitted to engage in public prayer leadership, public Torah chanting or being called to the Torah (which includes having a Bar Mitzvah), serving as witnesses before a rabbinical court, going to the mikveh (ritual immersion pool), or (in the case of young levites) to prepare kohanim (levitical priests) for giving the priestly blessing, as well as perhaps a couple of other similarly central actions.

And in my case, at least, I'm not even talking about a ban. All I'm saying is that while I'm not going to stop you from doing it, I think the practice is profoundly negative.

OK, but the question at hand was the ban. I can respect disagreeing with the practice: I would never question anyone's right to a different opinion held in good faith. It's only taking it to the step of intervention and compulsory prevention of its being done that I have a problem with.

Does this include responsibilities, duties, and commitments to things outside the Jewish (or Muslim) community?

Sure, although in the case of certain things central to the survival of Jewish culture (and I assume something similar is true in Muslim society), we hold that commitments to Judaism take primacy.

And for the most part, the two do not conflict. Jews vote, pay taxes, take part in community affairs, teach school, run businesses, obey civil laws to the same degree non-Jews do (if not slightly more so, even), serve in the armed forces, hold political offices, and so on. Jewish law has generally done its best to accommodate the responsibilities of Jews to secular society: exceptions to Shabbat and holiday observance are made for doctors or police officers or military personnel when called to duty, for example.

It is only for matter that are truly existential issues that we are forced to choose, and when we do so, we must pick the preservation of Judaism.

Is Dutch society a society? What rights does it have? What structures and rules does it have (or could it have) that its members - including Dutch Jews - should be expected to obey?

Dutch society is a society. And Dutch Jews have, up until the ban on shechitah (ritual slaughter) and this current issue of circumcision, been diligent observers of Dutch law for hundreds of years

Again, this kind of conflict in duty only tends to occur when non-Jewish society forces an existential issue of Jewish culture, resulting in a choice between preserving Judaism or sacrificing it on the altar of the non-Jewish culture. And in free societies, such oppositional incidents have been quite rare, given that Western societies since the American and French revolutions have claimed to be tolerant, and claimed to intend protection of the right of freedom of religion.

It seems like you're trying to have it both ways: when the question is the individual's place in the group - as long as the group in question is Jewish - you're all about deference to the group, and its traditions and values. OTOH, when the question is the place of that group within a larger society, you're all about the freedoms of that individual group, and values of the society be damned. I see this stance as hypocritical.

It's simply a matter of priorities. There is a maxim in Jewish Law, dina d'malchuta dina he im bishlama d'oraita, which is to say, "the law of the land [i.e., secular law] is binding upon us [Jews], save only when it conflicts directly with Torah." We do feel obligated to give respect for the larger society and deference to its values, save only when those demand that we sacrifice Judaism to do so.

It's simply the social equivalent of saying that if I am your partner, I have every duty to respect you, and to work with you, and to refrain from offending you, and to make a reasonable effort to ensure that you are content; but if you tell me that you can only be content if I kill myself, then I have a duty to protect my life, and you must be disappointed.

Wait - so if my opinion disagrees with Jewish thought, then it's invalid? And you accuse me of cultural imperialism?

Of course it's not invalid. It's perfectly valid. For you, and those who are of like mind with you. Just as my opinion is valid for me and those like me.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
By forcing Jews not to circumcise their kids, it would be the same as forcing them to prevent their kids from being able to fully participate in most of the core elements of Jewish culture, since uncircumcised men are not permitted to engage in public prayer leadership, public Torah chanting or being called to the Torah (which includes having a Bar Mitzvah), serving as witnesses before a rabbinical court, going to the mikveh (ritual immersion pool), or (in the case of young levites) to prepare kohanim (levitical priests) for giving the priestly blessing, as well as perhaps a couple of other similarly central actions.
How much of this would a child be expected to do, anyhow? An infant is not going to be a witness to any rabbinical court or chant the Torah, circumcised or not.

This is not an either-or matter. If waiting until the child is 18 is too onerous, most (not all, but most) of the objections to infant circumcision could be addressed by waiting until the boy has reached some "age of reason". How much Jewish culture would a boy miss out on if circumcision was delayed until just before his Bar Mitzvah?

OK, but the question at hand was the ban.
Actually, it wasn't even that.

Reading a few more articles about it, it seems that this group of doctors wasn't actually advocating a circumcision ban; they were simply advocating that the issue of circumcision be revisited. It could very well be that the result would be something like the Canadian approach: routine circumcision is advised against by the medical association, public healthcare doesn't fund it, and no doctor is compelled to do it.

All that the Dutch doctors' group really said is that they aren't satisfied with the status quo.

I can respect disagreeing with the practice: I would never question anyone's right to a different opinion held in good faith. It's only taking it to the step of intervention and compulsory prevention of its being done that I have a problem with.
Out of curiosity, how would you respond to an effective ban... something like this:

- a country legislates that as part of an overall approach to medical procedures generally, circumcision must be performed by a qualified medical practitioner.
- the country doesn't recognize mohels as qualified medical practitioners.
- no doctors choose to offer circumcision.

Sure, although in the case of certain things central to the survival of Jewish culture (and I assume something similar is true in Muslim society), we hold that commitments to Judaism take primacy.
In a similar way, can I hold that a commitment to sparing infants from unnecessary pain and suffering takes primacy over Jewish culture?

Actually, it's not even that. I think you're mischaracterizing things when you talk about "the survival of Jewish culture". Even those advocating a ban on infant circumcision aren't talking about a ban on all circumcision; they're only suggesting a delay of circumcision until the person is able to express informed consent for it. Unless no Jews would freely choose to be Jewish, "survival of the Jewish culture" isn't at issue.

It's simply a matter of priorities. There is a maxim in Jewish Law, dina d'malchuta dina he im bishlama d'oraita, which is to say, "the law of the land [i.e., secular law] is binding upon us [Jews], save only when it conflicts directly with Torah." We do feel obligated to give respect for the larger society and deference to its values, save only when those demand that we sacrifice Judaism to do so.

It's simply the social equivalent of saying that if I am your partner, I have every duty to respect you, and to work with you, and to refrain from offending you, and to make a reasonable effort to ensure that you are content; but if you tell me that you can only be content if I kill myself, then I have a duty to protect my life, and you must be disappointed.
I have a similar philosophy, but in reverse: the limit of your freedom to practice your religion or traditions ends when that practice interferes with the rights of another.

I have every duty to respect your parenting approach and to let you raise your children in your religious traditions... until you start committing bodily injury on your child.