• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Entitlements?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
If he were a little less crazy, I wouldn't vote for him.
(Note that you should've used the subjunctive case, as did I.)

No, the subjunctive is not necessary. I subscribe to the more intuitive rules of French, which uses the subjunctive in many cases where it makes sense, but not in "if" statements like mine. Either one is fine in English, really, but I prefer the past tense, rather than the subjunctive in case like this.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No, the subjunctive is not necessary. I subscribe to the more intuitive rules of French, which uses the subjunctive in many cases where it makes sense, but not in "if" statements like mine. Either one is fine in English, really, but I prefer the past tense, rather than the subjunctive in case like this.
Fine! Don't take my sage advice.
You'll wallow in unrevoltingness.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
If it would help our country, I could vote for a crazy guy.

So would I. That's the problem in this case, though: it wouldn't help our country.

I'm surprised to see you say this Matt.

You should know by now I'm not a staunch democrat. They tend to agree more with what I want out of the government than others, but I just want the best candidate for the job.

Ron Paul would take the hatchet out and cut so deep we all would cringe.

Exactly. That's one main problem. He wants to get rid of the income tax, but not replace it with anything. We are spending $3.5 trillion. The budget deficit is $1.3 trillion. We take in $1.2 trillion in income tax. In other words, he wants to cut 2/3 of the budget. I'm all for balancing the budget, including making some tough cuts, but that's just insane.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Fine! Don't take my sage advice.
You'll wallow in unrevoltingness.

I majored in Linguistics, and I am a stickler concerning English grammar, but only when the rule makes sense. If it's an established rule that is unnecessary or doesn't make sense, I don't mind ignoring it. Specifically in this case, I prefer the French way of doing it because it sounds better, and the traditional use of the subjunctive is unnecessary.

And don't you mean "unrevoltingitude"?

work in progress

Regardless of whether they are open about their belief that those who suffer terribly are deserving of their misfortune, their preferred public policies (anything to speeds the dismantling of the social safety net, labour and environmental regulations) makes it quite clear that modern American conservatives want to do absolutely everything in their power to increase the suffering of the "undeserving" poor. And why not? By making life worse for everybody but the richest 1%, they are only helping God mete out his infallible judgment.
As soon as George Bush started expanding on the Clinton "faith-based" initiatives, it became clear that the church leaders are neoliberals because they want to be in charge of the social safety net...just like in the old days when they wielded the power of life and death over parishoners in destitute circumstances, such as 19th century Ireland. A big part of the reason for the decline of church power and falloff in attendance is directly because, in most of the West, church attendance and adherence is optional, and cannot be coerced. And that is why they want to turn the clock back to what they consider to be the "good old days!"

work in progress

If I could change the focus here for just one moment, you made a comment about Obama.

I know you will not vote for a GOP candidate, but honestly are you happy with giving our President another 4 years?

I believe you are just choosing between evils here.

You can't tell me you will be thrilled with Obama after 8 years can you?
And this is why the majority of Americans seem to be getting sick of the good cop/bad cop game played by Republicans and Democrats! On the core economic issues, there is hardly a stone's throw of distance between the two. They both have no policies to deal with costly environmental problems that are mounting right now, and they both fall in line on neoliberal economic policy....Obama's free trade deals with South Korea, Panama etc.. A lot of people want another choice that isn't dependent on corporate funding.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I know you will not vote for a GOP candidate, but honestly are you happy with giving our President another 4 years?
My honest answer is I believe there is better than Obama. I'm iffy about him. He has flopped around on many issues, took longer than I was hoping for to bring the troops back home, but DADT was repealled, DOMA is on the chopping block, and me and many of my friends have gotten medical treatment because of the health care bill.
But from the GOP I couldn't live with myself voting for a party who wants to repeal acts that have cleaned up the environment, some of them are strongly anti-worker (such as the ones that want to do away with minimum wage laws), and all the main contenders have signed NOM's marriage pledge.
The way I see it, it isn't the lesser of two evils, it's keeping out the people who use religion in it's most corrupt form.