• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESP and Higher Consciousness - not Science.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
I don't believe that any human has ever attained a higher level of conciousness, because to do so would involve better understanding of the mind than any human currently possesses.

atanu

Premium Member
I don't believe that any human has ever attained a higher level of conciousness, because to do so would involve better understanding of the mind than any human currently possesses.

This assumes that higher level of consciousness (actually higher is a wrong word) is more complex. With formless clay we can get infinite forms and names.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
This assumes that higher level of consciousness (actually higher is a wrong word) is more complex. With formless clay we can get infinite forms and names.
Only if the construction involved is infinitely precise, and that clay is infinitely malleable. This isn't true, literally or metaphorically.

atanu

Premium Member
Only if the construction involved is infinitely precise, and that clay is infinitely malleable. This isn't true, literally or metaphorically.

Fine metaphorically. Even if you can build two or more forms with formless clay, the metaphor will work.

meogi

nnmartin said:
How , for instance do you explain phenomena such as ESP and Group Consciousness?
Have such phenomena adequately been shown to exist?
nnmartin said:
So are you saying that 'magic' is just undiscovered science.

Wouldn't that completely debunk the idea of magic?
Yes.
nnmartin said:
because I would say that magic is above and beyond physics, the same way that spirituality is.
Why don't you (or anyone) magic some phenomena and I'll physics some phenomena, and lets see who explains it first?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
How , for instance do you explain phenomena such as ESP and Group Consciousness?

Cognitive bias, wishful thinking, misintepretation of mechanism, and ignorance of probability and statistics. I realize that this can be quite complicated for some, so I understand their explanation of "it's magic!"

nnmartin

People think their dogs are reacting to "ghosts" when they appear to be responding to something they can't see, but they aren't. They're responding to noises you can't hear. Noises which are entirely non-supernatural in origin.

that is not what I'm saying.

The dog gets up to the window 10 to 15 minutes before the car even pulls into the driveway. No way it can 'hear' that.

Quite obviously dogs have psychic powers.

Cognitive bias, wishful thinking, misintepretation of mechanism, and ignorance of probability and statistics. I realize that this can be quite complicated for some, so I understand their explanation of "it's magic!"

sounds like you have a fear of the unknown

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
You realize that dogs have amazing sense of hearing right? He can hear your car from at least 400 meters away and has a sense of smell 100 million times greater than yours.

It's not ESP is simply having better mundane senses.

Sadly, some people would rather think this sort of thing is magic than try to figure out how it really works.

wa:do

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
You realize that dogs have amazing sense of hearing right? He can hear your car from at least 400 meters away and has a sense of smell 100 million times greater than yours.

Sadly, some people would rather think this sort of thing is magic than try to figure out how it really works.

wa:do
They also have a great sense of smell! :yes:

nnmartin

15 minutes before I arrive the car is much further away than this - several kilometres away! Also , no way the dog can smell the car - it's in traffic with thousands of others.

atanu

Premium Member
But what it still points out is that the senses need not be what humans from their perspectives limit them to.

nnmartin

I'd go so far as to say there is a group consciousness amongst animals like dogs, especially in a pack in the wild - they probably also have their own concept of God , some kind of Eternal Dog in the forest.

meogi

nnmartin said:
15 minutes before I arrive the car is much further away than this - several kilometres away! Also , no way the dog can smell the car - it's in traffic with thousands of others.
Since you obviously have multiple videos of this, please, share.
nnmartin said:
I'd go so far as to say there is a group consciousness amongst animals like dogs, especially in a pack in the wild - they probably also have their own concept of God , some kind of Eternal Dog in the forest.
And what makes you think your opinion is a valid explanation, for something you can't know?

Right, wishful thinking.