• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eternal Hell

Mercy Not Sacrifice

Prove that a just God--not necessarily a merciful God, but strictly a just God--can ethically send people to eternal torture, based solely on rational arguments and not recitation from Scripture.

EDIT: If you believe in such a thing.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
Mercy Not Sacrifice said:
Prove that a just God--not necessarily a merciful God, but strictly a just God--can ethically send people to eternal torture, based solely on rational arguments and not recitation from Scripture.
Why would I even want to prove something that isn't true?

Ryan2065

Well... He is God... So... He can do it!

And what ethics are you using? Todays current ones? And if you are talking about todays current ones... are you talking Americas ethics? How about the ethics of those people who think its ethical to kill people for not being their own religion?

Super Universe

Defender of God

Why ask for proof of such a thing that cannot be proven? But here is an argument.

The soul is eternal but the human form and personality are not. If a being chooses not to be selfish even though it has no reason to then the soul combines with this human personality forever to become an everlasting universal personality on the path to heaven.

Now if the human personality is selfish then the soul rejects it and in the afterlife it departs to find another thus leaving the human personality unable to ascend. The personality then goes to the only place it can, a lower level that is ruled by already established selfish beings that came before.

Real Sorceror

Pirate Hunter
I agree with Katzpur, there is no reason to prove a false statement. A just God cannot send someone to Hell for eternal torture. Either Hell is not torture, or it is not eternal, or both, or it doesn't exist.

Real Sorceror

Pirate Hunter
sparkyluv said:
Ethically? Are you trying to suggest that God is or should be bound by human ethics or man's way of thinking?
1) Is God good? Merciful? Loving? Just?
2) Is unending torture good, merciful, loving, or just?

Real Sorceror said:
1) Is God good? Merciful? Loving? Just?
2) Is unending torture good, merciful, loving, or just?

God is Good, Merciful, Loving and Just.

Hell is a place you are separated from God, Hell is death. On our path to Him He is all of those things I described above. But you cannot be where He is if you are not of the Spirit. If you are merely of the flesh you cannot be where He is. Being away from God you will suffer, from what I have read and heard in the Bible.

We have been given free will so you have the choice. Don't blame the One who has made you free.

If you do not want to be wth God or believe in Him, your spirit has not accepted Christ. You are separated from Him, and only you can open the door that is always unlocked. We are the strangers at the door of Christ, He is calling us to His home, constantly inviting us.

Real Sorceror

Pirate Hunter
Disciple, my position is not that there is no Hell. I believe in a Hell of sorts.
The issue is that an unending, eternal Hell is amoral and does not exist.

I believe every word from Jesus Christ and He said,

Matthew 18:8 Wherefore if thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut them off, and cast [them] from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life halt or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet to be cast into everlasting fire.

Matthew 25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

"Everlasting fire" I believe this suggests an unending hell. Everlasting is unending.

Just as Jesus Christ describes everlasting life if we follow Him.

A

angellous_evangellous

DiscipleOfChrist said:
I believe every word from Jesus Christ and He said,

Matthew 18:8 Wherefore if thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut them off, and cast [them] from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life halt or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet to be cast into everlasting fire.

Matthew 25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

"Everlasting fire" I believe this suggests an unending hell. Everlasting is unending.

Just as Jesus Christ describes everlasting life if we follow Him.

Only the fire is everlasting...