• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

EU Elections 2019

Altfish

Veteran Member
We will be able to elect accountable politicians to make those changes that you desire.
Our politicians aren't accountable. What about our next PMs bridge in London - he's never been held to account for that.
What about the lie of the £350/m for the NHS who will be held accountable for that?
What about Turkey to join the EU lie?
What about all those who told us trade deals will be so easy? Who are being hed accountable for those?

The UK is not in the Euro.

I never said it was, it was an example of ideological desires trumping practicality.

I'm not a Europhile, I just think we are better off in than out - by quite a distance.
There are many things that need changing but I could say exactly the same about the UK, in fact I'd say we need more changes.

The things that most need changing in the EU don't change as they are a product of the ideological/political project: democratic deficit, lack of accountability, being a lobbyists paradise, 'ever closer union', free movement, out of touch elitism, excessive bureaucracy/regulation etc.

Governance works best on a decentralised level, but the EU is intent on centralisation of as much as it can get away with.

I guarantee if the people of Europe were given the choice, they would choose a trade-based EU over a grand political project EU, but politicians are insistent on a top-down enforcement of the latter which many people are getting fed up with.

Altfish

Veteran Member
The things that most need changing in the EU don't change as they are a product of the ideological/political project: democratic deficit, lack of accountability, being a lobbyists paradise, 'ever closer union', free movement, out of touch elitism, excessive bureaucracy/regulation etc.

Governance works best on a decentralised level, but the EU is intent on centralisation of as much as it can get away with.

I guarantee if the people of Europe were given the choice, they would choose a trade-based EU over a grand political project EU, but politicians are insistent on a top-down enforcement of the latter which many people are getting fed up with.
But which things would you change?

Altfish

Veteran Member
Remove most of its powers and turn it into a trade bloc.

What would you change about it?
OK, to respond to your point. What powers in particular?

I'm not sure what I'd change, most of the changes the UK can sort anyway. The 'so called' immigration problem is down to the UK, most of our immigrants come from outside the EU.
I like tough food standards, bathing standards, hygiene, H&S standards.
I like worker protection measures that my country was dragged into kicking and screaming.

Notanumber

A Free Man
Yes, because no one has told us what changes we want.

Also, if we still want to trade with Europe we will still have to meet all their standards but have no influence over those standards.
If we want to trade with the uS we will have to lower our food standards.

It is about time that our politicians started telling other countries what we want for a change.

But with added checks at borders, no free healthcare

Travel will not be as easy post Brexit

You get checked at the border going there now. EHIC also works in some non-Eu countries, so unless there is some obtuse political nonsense it should continue to work.

The 'so called' immigration problem is down to the UK, most of our immigrants come from outside the EU.

That's somewhat specious. If you start in 1945 perhaps, not over the past decade or so. Close to 2 million Eastern Europeans emigrated to Britain after they gained the right to.

What powers in particular?

As I said, pretty much everything that doesn't relate to a relatively loosely regulated trade bloc.

CAP/CFP, Euro Parliament, freedom of movement, much of the standardisation regulations, Charter of Fundamental Rights, etc.

Notanumber

A Free Man
Our politicians aren't accountable. What about our next PMs bridge in London - he's never been held to account for that.
What about the lie of the £350/m for the NHS who will be held accountable for that?
What about Turkey to join the EU lie?
What about all those who told us trade deals will be so easy? Who are being hed accountable for those?

If you are referring to the Tories, as I have said, I am never voting for them again.

I am holding them accountable.

Altfish

Veteran Member
It is about time that our politicians started telling other countries what we want for a change.
But if we want to sell widgets to the EU, we have to comply with The Widget Regulations. You can say, "No, our wodgets are to this specification" and the customer will say, "No thanks"

Altfish

Veteran Member
You get checked at the border going there now. EHIC also works in some non-Eu countries, so unless there is some obtuse political nonsense it should continue to work.

That's somewhat specious. If you start in 1945 perhaps, not over the past decade or so. Close to 2 million Eastern Europeans emigrated to Britain after they gained the right to.

As I said, pretty much everything that doesn't relate to a relatively loosely regulated trade bloc.

CAP/CFP, Euro Parliament, freedom of movement, much of the standardisation regulations, Charter of Fundamental Rights, etc.
Here is the migration watch figures - Migration Watch is an anti-EU organisation.

Statistics-net-migration-statistics | Migration Watch UK

There were nearly 2 and a half times more coming from non-EU countries

Altfish

Veteran Member
If you are referring to the Tories, as I have said, I am never voting for them again.

I am holding them accountable.
It was Farage with Turkey, Albania and the £350m/week figures.
He also promised we wouldn't leave with No Deal
He also said if it was 52-48% there should be a second referendum.

Notanumber

A Free Man
It was Farage with Turkey, Albania and the £350m/week figures.
He also promised we wouldn't leave with No Deal
He also said if it was 52-48% there should be a second referendum.

I will vote for Nigel if he can get us out of the EU mess.

Here is the migration watch figures - Migration Watch is an anti-EU organisation.

Statistics-net-migration-statistics | Migration Watch UK

There were nearly 2 and a half times more coming from non-EU countries

I stand corrected. You are right that there was more non-EU, but prior to Brexit vote it was very close.

image.png