• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eucharist

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I know this will always be a silly debate.

Do you catholics and non-catholics actually believe you/they are drinking real blood and eating real flesh (cannibalism)? Please say no.

I asked a priest this but I wanted to hear what you guys thought.

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
I've attended Catholic mass a few times but didn't take communion as I'm not Catholic

Apparently it is

I asked a priest about this too...

As I understand it, they believe the substance of the bread and wine becomes the same substance of Jesus, but in the form of bread and wine

Which doesn't really make sense to me :shrug:

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
No one thinks that. The symbolism, though, I find disturbing. Especially considering historical blood libel context.
Edit: Okay, I've never thought that, but apparently Catholics do think this, beyond symbolism. Still disturbing.

Last edited:

shmogie

Do you catholics and non-catholics actually believe you/they are drinking real blood and eating real flesh (cannibalism)? Please say no.

No, they are symbolic representations of blood and flesh. When Christ instituted the communion meal, it was bread and wine. He clearly was speaking symbolically.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
No one thinks that. The symbolism, though, I find disturbing. Especially considering historical blood libel context.
Actually they do,

Transubstantiation (Latin: transsubstantiatio; Greek: μετουσίωσις metousiosis) is, according to the teaching of the Catholic Church, "the change of the whole substance of bread into the substance of the Body of Christ and of the whole substance of wine into the substance of his Blood. [...]
The Roman Catholic Church teaches that in the Eucharistic offering bread and wine are changed into the body and blood of Christ.

exchemist

Veteran Member

The orthodox Catholic view of this is rather subtle. It is called transubstantiation: Transubstantiation - Wikipedia

What it comes down to is that Christ is said to become physically present in the consecrated bread and wine in the same sort of way as the souls of you and I are present in our bodies, even though the physical form is not changed. (I have to say I tend to struggle a bit with this personally, but that is the traditional teaching.)

This is the reason why Catholic churches venerate the consecrated bread and wine. You will find in most Catholic churches an altar with a tabernacle on it, in which the consecrated bread (often referred to as the Blessed Sacrament) is kept. There will usually be a small candle in a red glass beside it, to show where it is. People say prayers in front of it, and genuflect when they pass in front of it, as a sign of respect.

In Protestant churches they do not do this and there is no tabernacle on the altar.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually they do,

Transubstantiation (Latin: transsubstantiatio; Greek: μετουσίωσις metousiosis) is, according to the teaching of the Catholic Church, "the change of the whole substance of bread into the substance of the Body of Christ and of the whole substance of wine into the substance of his Blood. [...]
The Roman Catholic Church teaches that in the Eucharistic offering bread and wine are changed into the body and blood of Christ.
Well, I stand corrected.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually they do,

Apparently Lutherans, Calvinists and Anglicans hold similar views.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Actually they do,

Oh, you're a Catholic theologian now? You can speak for the Church, eh?

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Apparently Lutherans, Calvinists and Anglicans hold similar views.
They do indeed. With Anglicans the teachings may vary from high to low Church.

Oh, you're a Catholic theologian now? You can speak for the Church, eh?
No? I was raised a Christian, attended a Catholic Church and this was and is the teaching. Just because I'm not xyz religion, doesn't mean I can't talk about it, especially not if I've been there done that.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member

Read Matthew 26 and draw you own conclusions. :)