• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eucharist

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
nay at all points we are born in sin (sin means.without) and we live that way you can sit if you like but Do unto others as you would have them do unto you is proactive you first no ritual required

Do unto others is not an abstract phrase not (edit) an action phrase. People do rituals because it helps them be more compassionate to others etc.

It's like saying that you're cleaning the house keeps bugs out.
Then, I say do you clean the house everyday? and you say, only when company comes over.

Kind of like not brushing your teeth until you go out the house or go on a date.

A lot of things we do are also for our spiritual benefit and for those believers connection with god. There are many ways to have that connection. No one way is right or wrong. Spirituality gets us out of that "they are doing it wrong" point of view. Ideally, we should accept that people DO things different when they connect with god.

Some people experience god with other people in communion. Others experience god on their own.

No one is right or wrong.

Last edited:

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
and "four cups of wine"
I found a source that infers from the Talmud that this was set up by Moses. There's also an agreement that this is at the very least a Takkanah, which means that it was surely set up before the destruction of the Temple, if not much earlier than that.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
that would be a very large blanket

With rituals, it's just difference of opinion. Religious rituals help people express and act in compassion. Some people like to meditate and do abstract things and others use their senses and do more spiritual things that govern all their senses: body, speech, and mind.

Our personal biases with rituals doesn't make them wrong. I sign the cross when I go into a Catholic Church. I don't practice Catholicism but that action is out of respect to my baptism and confirmation. It's nothing wrong or anything like that. It's just an act.

I'm not sure how rituals are wrong unless they hurt other people.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Apparently, when someone objects to a ritual that some of us engage in, we're supposed to stop it whether it harms anyone or not.

Well, if you make a ritual of siting on the cliff thinking you should jump and one day you do, I think that's one ritual (and cutting, and...) that may be up for criticism.

Signing the cross, bowing, and genuflecting doesn't quite make that mark.

Edit. Anti-ritualist probably need to prioritize their critiques.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Get yourself invited to a Jehovah's Witness annual "Memorial" gathering someday. And have explained to you that when the crackers and grape-juice are passed around, only those who will be among the final 144,000 after the Tribulation partake. The remaining folks who will only be in the Great Crowd just watch as the crackers and grape-juice pass them by.
This was different. Everyone was an equal participant, and the point seems to me, in hindsight, to be that all are one, though at the time I just thought it was unusual. That symbolism (one person) is fine with me, provided that anyone who is hungry gets fed. In the case you're talking about I don't find that agreeable, but that is quite different.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
It's just an act, why critique it? People do acts and rituals because it helps them be with god and express compassion. Why criticize their ritual when it is their ritual?

It's just an act to you, why belittle it?
not to make it small

only to show the item for what it is

Do this ….and remember Me
it's the give and take in discussion that matters
and that can happen most likely.....as people gather for a meal

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
not to make it small only to show the item for what it is. Do this ….and remember Me it's the give and take in discussion that matters and that can happen most likely.....as people gather for a meal

I don't understand what you said you'd have to rewrite/rephrase it.

I'm not sure how siting around the table and splitting a meal in a religious context is different than say on a holiday with family. Not all spiritual faiths need to be about the person. Some are about the People. A chosen group.

I'm not sure how the Eucharist is wrong in any way. Does spirituality need to be abstract and a one man's sport to have any significance?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
not to make it small

only to show the item for what it is

Do this ….and remember Me
it's the give and take in discussion that matters
and that can happen most likely.....as people gather for a meal

Give and take discussion?

I'm not following. In Christianity, the lord's supper is a combination of Christ's Passion, Communion/Body, Last Meal, and personal relationship with christ father through his son.

The rituals (if you like) or act of devotion is not near a discussion. I'm not sure how they connect.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Give and take discussion?

I'm not following. In Christianity, the lord's supper is a combination of Christ's Passion, Communion/Body, Last Meal, and personal relationship with christ father through his son.

The rituals (if you like) or act of devotion is not near a discussion. I'm not sure how they connect.
His own disciples did not understand

they put two swords on His Table....asking....
Are these enough?

that part of the Last Supper seems forgotten

so....the reenactment of the Last Supper is always one gesture short of what happened