• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eucharist

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Actually they do,

Transubstantiation (Latin: transsubstantiatio; Greek: μετουσίωσις metousiosis) is, according to the teaching of the Catholic Church, "the change of the whole substance of bread into the substance of the Body of Christ and of the whole substance of wine into the substance of his Blood. [...]
The Roman Catholic Church teaches that in the Eucharistic offering bread and wine are changed into the body and blood of Christ.

At least when I took communion, I took consecrated wine not blood.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
What 'accidents'?

It's the presence that's christ not the accidents. Unfortunately, it's mixed together where one sees the accidents: bread and wine but catholics see the substance: christ.

The thing is, that's fine until cannibalism is thrown in. That throws me off guard.

When I studied it after asking the priest before confirmed, that was my take away: consecrated bread and wine. When jesus was around the table (and in the OT) they always had actual food. The bread and wine are the sacrifice and resurrection of christ through his blood and body. Not the alcohol and yeast.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
No one thinks that. The symbolism, though, I find disturbing. Especially considering historical blood libel context.
Edit: Okay, I've never thought that, but apparently Catholics do think this, beyond symbolism. Still disturbing.

I honestly don't see it as symbolism. I just find it grossly misunderstood and/or the language use doesn't reflect the nature of communion. The Roman Church has been trying to figure out the nature of the Eucharist for years. Some other Catholic Churches leave it alone as a mystery.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
At least when I took communion, I took consecrated wine not blood.
Yes, nobody is teaching is becomes literal body and blood (anyone can see it does not), even though it is. I know that makes no sense. It's not understood and is considered a mystery. So while it outwardly remains bread and wine, it becomes the body and the blood through transubstantiation.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Yes, nobody is teaching is becomes literal body and blood (anyone can see it does not), even though it is. I know that makes no sense. It's not understood and is considered a mystery. So while it outwardly remains bread and wine, it becomes the body and the blood through transubstantiation.

Why would people call it cannibalism when it "literally" is not?

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
I've read the bible. My conclusions are different than protestants. I use different language than catholics. That doesn't mean I can't learn from others besides Paul and John.

What are you hoping to learn by creating this thread then? Whether or not Catholics (or non-Catholics) think they’re cannibals when they take communion?

agorman

Premium Member
I believe we humans are all a mixture of alien and ape. The ape is the problem. So the mass purifies your DNA, so you become the divine being (alien) that you originally were. After that, the next stage is losing your body altogether. You achieve a level of enlightenment where your "body" is just a projection of your true self. Of course that takes many years; maybe a lifetime.

By drinking the blood and flesh of a god, you slowly become a brother of that god and finally, a god yourself.

So the mass is for apotheosis. Followers of Mithra did it too. But I guess no priest will tell you that.

Terry Sampson

Ahem, ... allow me to muck up the waters a bit with my 2 pennies' worth ...
I started out in early childhood as a Southern Baptist, tripped through the Nazarenes,Pentecostal Holiness, and Assembly of God, making it into the Lutherans at the age of 10. Much later, I converted (to Catholicism).

The doctrine a community holds governs practices: i.e. appropriate elements used, e.g. broken saltine crackers and grape juice, leavened bread and grape juice or wine, unleavened bread and wine, ... some use red only, others use wine period, red or white. Additional practices: closed communion or open communion; and what can be done with post-blessing elements.
Yes, nobody is teaching is becomes literal body and blood
The hell they ain't. :D There's a reason Catholics genuflect when approaching the altar and the priest drinks the remaining contents of the chalice/cup, and sweeps the crumbs into a special plate.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
What are you hoping to learn by creating this thread then? Whether or not Catholics (or non-Catholics) think they’re cannibals when they take communion?

Do catholics and non-catholics actually believe that the Eucharist is christ's actual blood and body?

How you're asking me is more sarcastic rather than inquisitive. I learn a lot but we don't always have to put whys to every question we ask.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Ahem, ... allow me to muck up the waters a bit with my 2 pennies' worth ...
I started out in early childhood as a Southern Baptist, tripped through the Nazarenes,Pentecostal Holiness, and Assembly of God, making it into the Lutherans at the age of 10. Much later, I converted (to Catholicism).

The doctrine a community holds governs practices: i.e. appropriate elements used, e.g. broken saltine crackers and grape juice, leavened bread and grape juice or wine, unleavened bread and wine, ... some use red only, others use wine period, red or white. Additional practices: closed communion or open communion; and what can be done with post-blessing elements.

The hell they ain't. There's a reason Catholics genuflect when approaching the alter and the priest drinks the remaining contents of the chalice/cup, and sweeps the crumbs into a special plate.
I mean literal. As in, when you drink it, it becomes blood in your mouth. It doesn't. It tastes like wine and is still wine. If you died after ingesting it and a post mortem were done, there'd be wine in your stomach.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I believe we humans are all a mixture of alien and ape. The ape is the problem. So the mass purifies your DNA, so you become the divine being (alien) that you originally were. After that, the next stage is losing your body altogether. You achieve a level of enlightenment where your "body" is just a projection of your true self. Of course that takes many years; maybe a lifetime.

By drinking the blood and flesh of a god, you slowly become a brother of that god and finally, a god yourself.

So the mass is for apotheosis. Followers of Mithra did it too. But I guess no priest will tell you that.

That's a weird take away.

Terry Sampson

I mean literal. As in, when you drink it, it becomes blood in your mouth. It doesn't. It tastes like wine and is still wine. If you died after ingesting it and a post mortem were done, there'd be wine in your stomach.
Ahh, .. you mean literal literal. I thought you meant just literal.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Do catholics and non-catholics actually believe that the Eucharist is christ's actual blood and body?

How you're asking me is more sarcastic rather than inquisitive. I learn a lot but we don't always have to put whys to every question we ask.

There was no sarcasm in my question.

Not sure if you’re speaking for you and a mouse in your pocket, but I always want to know why with each question I ask.

Cooky

Veteran Member

Yes, I believe this is most likely true, although the Catholic Church does not officially claim to know why Jesus asked us to do this... We literally can't say for sure - for sure.

...But your point about becoming God is spot on with orthodox Catholic Mysticism.