• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Everyone lives like an Atheist

• Thread starter angellous_evangellous
  • Start date
A

angellous_evangellous

I don’t know of anyone that doesn’t live like an atheist. From what I can tell everyone lives like there is a foundation for moral laws, like there is such thing as personhood, like their perceptions have something to do objective reality and like they have purpose and meaning in their lives. If there were a creator, then there could be no science, morals, personhood or meaning and purpose.

Thus the arguments for a religious society are mute. There is no such a thing. The act of being human validates that there is no God. You want to unite church and state? Then you have to separate humans from themselves. Show me a society that says it is okay to lie on the witness stand.

[obviously this is a response to Man of Faith's OP http://www.religiousforums.com/foru...ebates/109348-everyone-lives-like-theist.html]

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
I'm not being sarcastic. :shrug:
who-me2.jpg

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
The questions does present itself. To what extent is belief in a God needed for morality? From all evidence, not a whole lot, really.

It is something to employ faith in God for one's morality. It is something else, and far more baseless, to say that it is the only way.

A

angellous_evangellous

The questions does present itself. To what extent is belief in a God needed for morality? From all evidence, not a whole lot, really.

It is something to employ faith in God for one's morality. It is something else, and far more baseless, to say that it is the only way.

Yes!

I did want to have a serious discussion/debate about this... because I really DO think that we all live like atheists, at least when we're not acting like theists or whatever we happen to be that's not atheist.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I don’t know of anyone that doesn’t live like an atheist. From what I can tell everyone lives like there is a foundation for moral laws, like there is such thing as personhood, like their perceptions have something to do objective reality and like they have purpose and meaning in their lives. If there were a creator, then there could be no science, morals, personhood or meaning and purpose.

Thus the arguments for a religious society are mute. There is no such a thing. The act of being human validates that there is no God. You want to unite church and state? Then you have to separate humans from themselves. Show me a society that says it is okay to lie on the witness stand.

[obviously this is a response to Man of Faith's OP http://www.religiousforums.com/foru...ebates/109348-everyone-lives-like-theist.html]

Define "atheist".
If you really take a good look at the word you will see that it is merely a theist.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
If morality is founded in theism, then Euthyphro's Dilemma must be solved.

Is what God commands good because God commands it?

Or is what God commands good because it is good?

If the first, then "morality" is subjective to a divine whim. God can order you to punch babies in the face and it would be "good." You can't argue that God couldn't order you to punch babies in the face because that implies a transcendental morality... and you couldn't argue that God wouldn't order you to punch babies in the face because there's no reason not to, since it would still be good if he did.

If the second, then morality is independent of theism and the question is answered: theism isn't necessary for morality.

So, which is it?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
If morality is founded in theism, then Euthyphro's Dilemma must be solved.

Is what God commands good because God commands it?

Or is what God commands good because it is good?

If the first, then "morality" is subjective to a divine whim. God can order you to punch babies in the face and it would be "good." You can't argue that God couldn't order you to punch babies in the face because that implies a transcendental morality... and you couldn't argue that God wouldn't order you to punch babies in the face because there's no reason not to, since it would still be good if he did.

If the second, then morality is independent of theism and the question is answered: theism isn't necessary for morality.

So, which is it?

It is the first one.
Why?
Well, because if it was the second one, it would imply that god is not all powerful.
Now since we all know that god is all powerful (i mean come on, it says so somewhere right in the Bible) then it by default has to be the first one.

Besides, everyone knows that Might Makes Right.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'd just come to terms with the realization that I live like a theist.
Now you tell me that I live like an atheist!
I'm gonna just live like a Revoltifarian.
We mind our own business, do quality work, are honest (except with Vogons & revenuers), & compose doggerel.
Oh...we pontificate too.

Man of Faith

I don't think that you need a belief in God to have morals. However without a God there is no foundation for morality. If there isn't a God and we all got here by a naturalistic big bang, and naturalistic evolution, then morals are something made up and don't have anything to do with reality. Atheists don't want to believe in fairies in the sky but do want to live with fairytale morals?

In my worldview morals came from God, so what I see are atheists that have no foundation for morality living like there is a foundation for morality, like the world was created by my God, and ignoring the fact that their worldview has morals that are made up from imagination and they live like they are real.

Last edited:

Jeremiah

Like the Pope, riding around in his Pope-mobile sitting in a bulletproof plexi-glass cage. It would seem the Pope has more faith in ability of plexi-glass to protect him then in God.

As Bill Hicks put it, “I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks!"