• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evidence for Jesus' Resurrection

kobayashi

I'm not saying they knew it to be false. I'm saying it's false in a literal sense. That means either they didn't think of it in the literal sense that you do, or they believed it literally but were mistaken.

If they were mistaken then we must account for what they experienced.

What do you think this proves exactly?
I was responding to the notion that all we have to go on are late writings from people other than the apostles. A creed that dates to within a few years of Jesus' crucifixion (not to mention its ties to the disciples) shows why that argument doesn't work.

Again, no one said he was lying. He could geneuinely have believed those teachings to be literally true, or he could have meant them in a completely different way than you take them. Either way, he wouldn't have been lying, but still those teachings wouldn't have been true in the sense that you think they are.
The person I was responding to (unless this is you in a different user name) suggested that Paul was untrustworthy, but this was in response to the fact that Paul is an early source for the teaching of the other disciples.

How could it be that an entire group of disciples, and a former church persecutor, and a former skeptic with a deep reverence for Jewish law, would all simply be mistaken about what they had seen? What kind of experience could account for this?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
If Jesus died, and that was the end of the story, then why did his followers proclaim that he had risen from the dead? Why did they believe him to be the Messiah, for that matter?

Because they wanted to. Either they heard from someone that he had risen, or they saw him in a dream and mistook that for reality, or they saw something that made them think it was him, etc. There are many very plausible possibilities for why they believed what they did.

Judaism had no concept of a dying, much less rising, Messiah. In fact, in a world where pagans unanimously denied resurrection, and where many Jews believed that the resurrection would take place at the end of history, it is interesting that the early Christians were proclaiming that God had raised the Messiah individually, before everyone else. Something happened that caused this belief. The question is, What was it?

Their imaginations.

The answer the early Christians gave was that God had risen Jesus from the dead. Even if we reject their answer, we know that something must have happened in order to cause this new belief system to spring out of second-Temple Judaism,

Again, active imaginations would account for that.

but the fact that Jesus died isn't enough. It leaves so much unaccounted for (like those facts I listed).

What facts?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
If they were mistaken then we must account for what they experienced.

You're right. The most plausible explanation is that they imagined things.

I was responding to the notion that all we have to go on are late writings from people other than the apostles. A creed that dates to within a few years of Jesus' crucifixion (not to mention its ties to the disciples) shows why that argument doesn't work.

I'm not following. How do you think that shows that that argument doesn't work?

The person I was responding to (unless this is you in a different user name) suggested that Paul was untrustworthy, but this was in response to the fact that Paul is an early source for the teaching of the other disciples.

It was not I. Yes, Paul is an early source for the teaching of the other disciples. Why does that make him more trustworthy?

How could it be that an entire group of disciples, and a former church persecutor, and a former skeptic with a deep reverence for Jewish law, would all simply be mistaken about what they had seen? What kind of experience could account for this?

It's called imagination and a desire to believe. It was a horrible time for the Jewish community and some of them obviously wanted to believe in someone or something that made them feel better. That's more compelling than anything else to me.

kobayashi

The facts I listed in the first post.

Is it really plausible to say that the disciples simply imagined that Jesus was alive, after having seen him die? That Paul, who was busy throwing Christians into prison and handing them over to die, suddenly imagined that Jesus was risen from the dead? And that James, the skeptical brother of Jesus, himself became a Christian due to an active imagination? And that all these people were willing to face terrible persecution for something they simply imagined?

It's not enough to simply suggest alternate theories. We also need to see what the evidence indicates. But the disciples claimed to have seen Jesus resurrected from the dead; so did Paul. Furthermore, this doesn't account for the empty tomb.

kobayashi

We have much better evidence than that for the angel Moroni’s revelation to Joseph Smith... And yet most Christians do not believe those were genuine events.
Show me how those theories are more reasonable.
First, the conversions of Paul and James mean nothing. People change religions every day. Second, the willingness of the early apostles to die for their faith also means nothing, for a very simple reason: people of many other religions believed so strongly that they were willing to die for their false beliefs, too.

Sure, but who dies for something they know to be a lie? For something they made up? Six of the eleven witnesses to the golden plates eventually left the Mormon church. By contrast, there is no evidence that any of the disciples, or Paul, or James, ever went back on their claim to be witnesses of the risen Jesus - a claim, mind you, that they would have known in their hearts to be false. Paul, James, and many of the disciples were martyred.

Our earliest written accounts of Jesus’ Resurrection (1) were written only by Christian evangelists, (2) were compiled 20-70 years after the events they describe, (3) are so old they cannot be confirmed by physical evidence from the time, (4) come from a superstituous age of many similar mystery cults, (3) are internally contradictory, (4) and are contradictory between sources, too.
The oral traditions of the early church predate the NT. The creed in 1 Cor. 15 proclaims the resurrection of Jesus as part of the gospel message, and can be dated to within a few years of the crucifixion. This is a creed Paul himself received from the disciples. (In any case, if you study ancient history, you will find that 20-70 years is not nearly enough time for legend to wipe out history completely. 3-5 years is definitely not long enough.)

kobayashi

You're right. The most plausible explanation is that they imagined things.

Does not account for the empty tomb. It's also hard to believe that many people, including a former persecutor and former skeptic all converted on the basis of overactive imaginations.

I'm not following. How do you think that shows that that argument doesn't work?

By ancient standards, a work written 50 or 60 years after the fact is really not a late source. So something written within a few years of an event is astoundingly early.

Yes, Paul is an early source for the teaching of the other disciples. Why does that make him more trustworthy?

Typically, earlier sources are regarded as more trustworthy than later ones, since they are closer to the events they describe. Paul knew the disciples firsthand (Gal. 1:18-2:14), and this is verified by the book of Acts and by other early Christian writers such as Clement (1 Clement 5) and Polycarp (To the Philippians 9). Thus he is an important source.

It's called imagination and a desire to believe. It was a horrible time for the Jewish community and some of them obviously wanted to believe in someone or something that made them feel better. That's more compelling than anything else to me.

That's hard to believe. Seven sources testify to the apostles' willingness to suffer and die for their beliefs. History in general tells us that the early Christians faced enormous persecution.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
The facts I listed in the first post.

And those are accounted for by imagination.

Is it really plausible to say that the disciples simply imagined that Jesus was alive, after having seen him die? That Paul, who was busy throwing Christians into prison and handing them over to die, suddenly imagined that Jesus was risen from the dead? And that James, the skeptical brother of Jesus, himself became a Christian due to an active imagination? And that all these people were willing to face terrible persecution for something they simply imagined?

Yes, it is more plausible than a man performing miracles like walking on water, turning water into wine, healing blind people and coming back from the dead. BTW, there could have been things that sparked their imaginations.

It's not enough to simply suggest alternate theories. We also need to see what the evidence indicates. But the disciples claimed to have seen Jesus resurrected from the dead; so did Paul. Furthermore, this doesn't account for the empty tomb.

Oh, of course. The disciples claimed they saw Jesus. What was I thinking? I guess that's all the proof we need, right? Some guys in a book claimed something thousands of years ago. Obviously, we should just believe them, then. You're right. :rolleyes:

The empty tomb could have been grave robbers, it could have been a misplaced body, it could have been any number of things. I'd rather go with the more realistic explanations unless you have specific evidence that points to your explanation.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Does not account for the empty tomb.

Yes, it accounts for the empty tomb. Grave robbers stole the body or it was simply misplaced, and they jumped to conclusions due to their imaginations.

It's also hard to believe that many people, including a former persecutor and former skeptic all converted on the basis of overactive imaginations.

It's even harder to believe that some guy rose performed all sorts of miracles and then rose from the dead. I'll take the one that's easier to believe based upon our other knowledge of the world until you have some evidence that that couldn't have been true.

By ancient standards, a work written 50 or 60 years after the fact is really not a late source. So something written within a few years of an event is astoundingly early.

And?

Typically, earlier sources are regarded as more trustworthy than later ones, since they are closer to the events they describe. Paul knew the disciples firsthand (Gal. 1:18-2:14), and this is verified by the book of Acts and by other early Christian writers such as Clement (1 Clement 5) and Polycarp (To the Philippians 9). Thus he is an important source.

OK, but why should we believe that he didn't make stuff up consciously or unconsciously?

That's hard to believe. Seven sources testify to the apostles' willingness to suffer and die for their beliefs. History in general tells us that the early Christians faced enormous persecution.

OK, and there are many other people who have died for beliefs that conflict with Christianity. Someone died for false beliefs. It could have been the Christians. Hell, back in those times, if someone had told me that if I just withstood that pressure and held to my beliefs and was killed because of it and would then go to a place where I'd live eternally in perfect bliss with anything I'd ever want, I might have gone with it, too.

Smoke

Done here.
Thanks for posting the URL.
You're welcome.

1) I find it very difficult to believe that anyone would face persecution and die for something they knew to be false. At least somebody would have at least recanted under torture.
Probably, but again, we don't know that the original followers of Jesus claimed a physical resurrection, and we don't know that they died under torture, either.

2) Even the most liberal Jesus scholars would affirm the oral sources (for instance, Marcus Borg). One of the most famous examples is 1 Corinthians 15:3-8. There is good reason to believe that this is a creed (e.g., “I delivered to you…what I also received” is a creedal formula). This creed is very early – Paul wrote the letter about AD 54, but mentions that he had already “passed on” to the Corinthians this teaching, which would be in AD 51, which means the creed is earlier than that; most scholars would date this creed to no later than AD 36. That’s within 6 years of Jesus’ crucifixion, although many would place it within 3-5. Do you have any good reason to deny the importance of oral tradition? Wouldn't that be a significant source for determining the beliefs of the early church?
I don't deny the importance of oral tradition, but we don't have that oral tradition (or more accurately, those oral traditions) today; we can only hazard a few guesses about what they might have been.

What could Paul possibly gain from lying about the teachings of the other disciples?
Obviously, Paul was interested in promoting his own religious vision, which was at odds with that of James, Jesus' brother, who was Jesus' successor as leader of the original Jesus community.

Interestingly, you base your argument on what you yourself argue is a late account “from people other than Jesus’ followers.” [...]

Also, even though the men with Paul did not see Jesus, the accounts in Acts make it clear that they saw and/or heard something which means that, if these accounts are reliable, then what Paul saw was not merely in his own head.
But Paul doesn't claim to have witnessed the resurrection; nobody in the scriptures or in any Christian tradition I know of claims to have witnessed the resurrection. I'm referring to Paul's supposed encounter with the risen Christ. Luke wasn't with Paul on the Damascus Road; Paul is the only witness we have to his experience, and so he is necessarily the best witness. That doesn't mean, of course, that we have to draw the same conclusions about that experience that Paul does.

Of what of Peter’s sermon in Acts 2:29-31, where he makes the same point? (I should point out here that the book of Acts contains several of these sermons (or rather, sermon-summaries), and these are in fact oral traditions that can be dated earlier than the gospels.)
They may be oral traditions, or they may be literary fictions. It's certainly unlikely that anyone transcribed or memorized them on the spot. The author of Acts sometimes quotes people as saying things that he could hardly have known them to have said, and in at least one case he quotes someone (Gamaliel) as saying something he could not possibly have said. His accounts of some events differ from Paul's. In short, we have to approach his work with caution.

Why not trust Luke’s earlier testimony at the end of his gospel that the resurrection was a physical, bodily event (see Luke 24:36-43).
Physical resurrection is an extraordinary claim, and requires extraordinary evidence. We don't even know who the author of Luke was, but he makes it clear that he did not know Jesus. He does not claim to have witnessed the resurrection or to have encountered the risen Jesus. The fact that an anonymous Pauline Christian believed in the physical resurrection of Jesus is hardly the kind of extraordinary evidence necessary to convince anybody of the truth of it.

What evidence is there for supposing the Ebionites to represent early Christianity?
I didn't say they represented early Christianity. Christianity is Paul's invention. I think they most nearly represent the early Jesus community -- which was a Jewish community led by surviving family members of Jesus. From what little we know of them, of James, and of the historical and religious context of the Jesus community, it seems quite likely to me that the Ebionites were that very community, or at least its historical descendants. Of course, I can't claim that as established fact; it just seems extremely likely to me. However, Paul's own writings make it very clear that his religious vision was his own, and that it was a significant divergence from the religious vision of the Jesus community led by James.

Smoke

Done here.
The person I was responding to (unless this is you in a different user name)
I'm afraid I don't think or write quickly enough to assume two identities in this conversation.

Any number of things can account for these kinds of things, even assuming that all these people really did have some experience that they believed to be an encounter with the risen Jesus. Paul's experience is clearly of a spiritual (psychological) nature, and he puts it in the same class as the other experiences he mentions, so I don't see how that amounts to a convincing argument that those people (who left us no accounts of their own) even claimed to have experienced a physical encounter with a risen Jesus.

Even if they did make such claims, though, are you really so easily convinced?

At Salem in 1692, sworn witnesses told of having seen Sarah Good fly through the air riding a stick. In England, over a period of 150 years, hundreds of witnesses reported sightings of Spring-Heeled Jack. At Knock in Ireland in 1879, fifteen people witnessed the appearance of the Mother of God, St. Joseph and St. John. At Fatima in 1917, 70,000 people reported having seen the sun change colors and dance across the sky. In the U.S. in the 20th century, dozens of people reported having been kidnaped by extraterrestrials.

Do you really believe the most likely explanation for all these things is that all those people experienced what they thought they experienced? Or does it seem more likely that there's some other -- likely psychological -- explanation?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Show me how those theories are more reasonable.
You will needs talk to the author for that.

Sure, but who dies for something they know to be a lie?
You are making the assumption that they knew, or even thought, that it was a lie.
I know several people who believe things that are not true, even after being shown that they are not true.

For something they made up? Six of the eleven witnesses to the golden plates eventually left the Mormon church. By contrast, there is no evidence that any of the disciples, or Paul, or James, ever went back on their claim to be witnesses of the risen Jesus - a claim, mind you, that they would have known in their hearts to be false. Paul, James, and many of the disciples were martyred.
Again you make assumptions about people whom you know precious little about.
How would they know it was a false claim?

The oral traditions of the early church predate the NT. The creed in 1 Cor. 15 proclaims the resurrection of Jesus as part of the gospel message, and can be dated to within a few years of the crucifixion. This is a creed Paul himself received from the disciples. (In any case, if you study ancient history, you will find that 20-70 years is not nearly enough time for legend to wipe out history completely. 3-5 years is definitely not long enough.)
What is the relevance of this?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
It's not enough to simply suggest alternate theories. We also need to see what the evidence indicates. But the disciples claimed to have seen Jesus resurrected from the dead; so did Paul.
Not quite. It's the authors of the Gospels and the Epistles that made these claims, not the apostles directly.

Furthermore, this doesn't account for the empty tomb.
And your version also doesn't yet account for why anyone would go to the tomb in the first place. As has been pointed out by others in previous threads here, the whole "anointing Jesus' body with herbs" thing doesn't work with Jewish law and custom that considers the dead to be ritually "unclean" and says that once a body's been buried or laid in the tomb, you don't mess with it.

kobayashi

Wow - lots of things to reply to, so I'll try to do it in one post. First of all, the point I am making is NOT that the disciples died for their beliefs, therefore it is true. The point I am making is that, since they were claiming to have seen the risen Jesus, they were in a position to know whether or not their belief was false (that is, if they were making up the whole thing). Yes, many people do die for false beliefs; but nobody dies (and willfully faces the ongoing threat of persecution) for something they KNOW to be a lie.

The importance of the early oral traditions is that they provide evidence that the disciples did claim to have seen the risen Jesus. The 1 Cor. 15 creed dates to within a few years of Jesus' crucifixion, which rules out legendary development. That the disciples claimed to have seen the risen Jesus is also witnessed to by the apostolic fathers Clement and Polycarp. This creed also is evidence that resurrection belief was part of the Christian proclamation in its earliest form, so it is very important indeed.

Since the disciples didn't knowingly fabricate a lie, what of the idea that they were deceived or mistaken? It could not have been a hallucination - hallucinations are by definition not group occurences. It has to have been something outside of their minds. What was it that convinced the persecutor Paul? What was it that convinced the skeptic James? If we argue (as some have) that Paul's (or even all the disciples') experiences were spiritual visions, then some clear definition is in order. Was this a purely inward event? Then we face the same problem as the hallucination theory. Was it an event caused by an external source? In that case, the appearance-experiences were objective, and thus real.

The empty tomb alone could not have produced faith in the resurrection - grave-robbing was well known back then. The appearances alone could not have produced faith in the resurrection - because of course many people claimed to have seen loved ones after their deaths, but this didn't lead them to proclaim their loved ones as Lord and Messiah, risen from the grave. The ONLY theory that accounts for these things is that God raised Jesus from the dead.

Finally, resurrection as a bodily event: In the first century world, pagans universally denied resurrection, and many (but not all) Jews affirmed it. It is extremely significant that 'resurrection' language was only used to denote a physical, bodily event (I recommend reading NT Wright's "The Resurrection of the Son of God" for a detailed look at the ancient sources). There were many who believed in a non-bodily life after death, but this was never referred to as resurrection. Resurrection always denoted the second stage in a two-stage view of life after death.

Thus when the early Christians proclaimed that Jesus had been raised from the dead, this was understood by all - pagans and Jews alike - as a bodily event. Hence the earliest critics of Christianity accused the disciples of stealing the body.

kobayashi

We don't know that the original followers of Jesus claimed a physical resurrection, and we don't know that they died under torture, either.

Seven ancient sources verify that the disciples suffered (and some of them died) for their faith: Acts; Clement of Rome; Polycarp; Ignatius; Tertullian; Origen; and Dionysius of Corinth (preserved in Eusebius). Of course, there is also the testimony of Paul himself.

I don't deny the importance of oral tradition, but we don't have that oral tradition (or more accurately, those oral traditions) today; we can only hazard a few guesses about what they might have been.

If we know some of the oral traditions as preserved in the New Testament, then we do in fact have that tradition today.

But Paul doesn't claim to have witnessed the resurrection; nobody in the scriptures or in any Christian tradition I know of claims to have witnessed the resurrection. I'm referring to Paul's supposed encounter with the risen Christ.

Obviously in this sense no one claimed to have witnessed the resurrection itself; but I have been talking about claims to have seen the risen Jesus.

they may be literary fictions.

Can you support this claim with evidence?

The author of Acts sometimes quotes people as saying things that he could hardly have known them to have said, and in at least one case he quotes someone (Gamaliel) as saying something he could not possibly have said. His accounts of some events differ from Paul's. In short, we have to approach his work with caution.

If you don't trust the testimony of Acts then you can't use the account of Paul's conversion to support your point that these were spiritual encounters. Also, many writers (even today) can write accurately about events they did not witness themselves. A discussion of Gamaliel would be interesting but off-topic since I am not arguing here for the reliability of Luke as a historian.

Of course Luke isn't the only one who believed in a physical resurrection. Three gospels, the disciples, and Paul himself taught resurrection as a bodily event (I'm sure we'll discuss this more later).

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
New Testament scholars (including non-believers) almost unanimously agree that Jesus died by crucifixion, that his followers had experiences after his death in which they saw him alive,
Can you name us one 'non believer' scholar who agrees with the claim that the followers of Jesus had saw him alive after his death?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Wow - lots of things to reply to, so I'll try to do it in one post. First of all, the point I am making is NOT that the disciples died for their beliefs, therefore it is true. The point I am making is that, since they were claiming to have seen the risen Jesus, they were in a position to know whether or not their belief was false (that is, if they were making up the whole thing). Yes, many people do die for false beliefs; but nobody dies (and willfully faces the ongoing threat of persecution) for something they KNOW to be a lie.

Well, that's not entirely true. I guarantee some people have died for things they knew to be lies. It could have been to protect someone else, or several other reasons. However, the point here is that the belief could be false, but they didn't know it, and that's why they died for it.

So, what was the point of this, then? You're right, they were in the position to know whether or not their beliefs were false. They may have been mistaken or the stories may have been recounted inaccurately, since it wasn't the actual apostles who wrote the New Testament.

The importance of the early oral traditions is that they provide evidence that the disciples did claim to have seen the risen Jesus. The 1 Cor. 15 creed dates to within a few years of Jesus' crucifixion, which rules out legendary development. That the disciples claimed to have seen the risen Jesus is also witnessed to by the apostolic fathers Clement and Polycarp. This creed also is evidence that resurrection belief was part of the Christian proclamation in its earliest form, so it is very important indeed.

I'm not sure why this is that important. Yes, some people in the bible claimed to have seen the resurrected Jesus among other things. We know that. That still doesn't make it very reliable.

Since the disciples didn't knowingly fabricate a lie, what of the idea that they were deceived or mistaken? It could not have been a hallucination - hallucinations are by definition not group occurences.

Really? I've never heard that definition of hallucination. Why can't they be group occurences. As MidnightBlue pointed out, there are many examples in history of group hallucinations, including ones that happened at the same time, and ones that happened over a longer period of time. I'd like to know what, other than your own desire to be right, rules out the possibility of hallucinations here.

It has to have been something outside of their minds.

Why?

What was it that convinced the persecutor Paul? What was it that convinced the skeptic James? If we argue (as some have) that Paul's (or even all the disciples') experiences were spiritual visions, then some clear definition is in order. Was this a purely inward event? Then we face the same problem as the hallucination theory. Was it an event caused by an external source? In that case, the appearance-experiences were objective, and thus real.

Sure, it could have been caused by an external event. Sometimes, a group of people sees a shadow and thinks it's some kind of monster. Sometimes, people see things that aren't there, and sometimes they see things that are there and think they're something else, especially when they want to see something.

The empty tomb alone could not have produced faith in the resurrection - grave-robbing was well known back then. The appearances alone could not have produced faith in the resurrection - because of course many people claimed to have seen loved ones after their deaths, but this didn't lead them to proclaim their loved ones as Lord and Messiah, risen from the grave. The ONLY theory that accounts for these things is that God raised Jesus from the dead.

That's quite a leap in logic. That is not the only theory that accounts for those things. You just don't want to accept any other theories. We've been over this. Graverobbing is a possible explanation for the empty tomb, people seeing things and thinking they're something else and then relaying that message to others could account for the "appearances". And generally, a desire to believe because of the bad situation they were in helps account for all of it.

Now, that's not to say that you're necessarily wrong, but saying that the theory that God raised Jesus from the dead is the only logical possible explanation is just wrong.

Finally, resurrection as a bodily event: In the first century world, pagans universally denied resurrection, and many (but not all) Jews affirmed it.

What do you mean by this about pagans and Jews? There were many pagan myths about resurrection, and I can't imagine what you mean by the comment about Jews.

It is extremely significant that 'resurrection' language was only used to denote a physical, bodily event (I recommend reading NT Wright's "The Resurrection of the Son of God" for a detailed look at the ancient sources). There were many who believed in a non-bodily life after death, but this was never referred to as resurrection. Resurrection always denoted the second stage in a two-stage view of life after death.

I think you need to review myths from other times. There were plenty of myths that dealt with physical resurrection as a symbol for spiritual resurrection. That's exactly what the Jesus myth is about.

Besides, what's the point of saying this was the only one dealing with bodily resurrection? So what? How does that help prove its veracity?

Thus when the early Christians proclaimed that Jesus had been raised from the dead, this was understood by all - pagans and Jews alike - as a bodily event. Hence the earliest critics of Christianity accused the disciples of stealing the body.

First, that's not true. There have been many groups over the centuries, including at the time of Jesus's life that believed this story to be a metaphor, or at least not to be literally about the bodily resurrection.

Second, what's the point? Even if all people assumed they were talking about a physical event, what does that do to help your point?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Quite right! You know what? You've convinced me of the truth... of the Guru Granth Sahib! The martyrdom of its compiler, Guru Arjan Dev, has made me realize its truth. After all, as you said, nobody dies for something they know to be a lie. Since I assume that you're now convinced as well, maybe we can carpool together to the Gurdwara?

;)

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Yes, many people do die for false beliefs; but nobody dies (and willfully faces the ongoing threat of persecution) for something they KNOW to be a lie.
I will take your word for it, though I can think of a thing or two where people have.
In all honesty, what difference does it make?
So they did not believe what they believed was a lie.
There have been a few examples that would explain why they would believe it.

Okay

Since the disciples didn't knowingly fabricate a lie, what of the idea that they were deceived or mistaken? It could not have been a hallucination - hallucinations are by definition not group occurences.
"Culture can influence people to the degree that people will see things that do not exist: It can cause group hallucination."
Topophilia: A Study of Environmental Perception, Attitudes, and Values by Yi-fu Tuan, pg 246
It has to have been something outside of their minds. What was it that convinced the persecutor Paul? What was it that convinced the skeptic James? If we argue (as some have) that Paul's (or even all the disciples') experiences were spiritual visions, then some clear definition is in order. Was this a purely inward event? Then we face the same problem as the hallucination theory. Was it an event caused by an external source? In that case, the appearance-experiences were objective, and thus real.
See above

The ONLY theory that accounts for these things is that God raised Jesus from the dead.
No it isn't.
It may be the only theory you will accept.
It may be the only theory you like.
But it is not the only theory.

DarkMaster24

No it isn't.
It may be the only theory you will accept.
It may be the only theory you like.
But it is not the only theory.
[/QUOTE]

What are some other theories you know on it? Just curious..

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
What are some other theories you know on it? Just curious..

Graverobbers for the empty tomb, hallucinations by the people who "saw" Jesus, or they didn't mean they literally saw the physical Jesus, that it was more a spiritual thing. That's the easy way of explaining it. There are other possibilities, too.