• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evidence?

nonbeliever_92

personal experience cannot qualify as evidence of a god, especially when the experiences of others vary so greatly and when most people don't experience these things at all.

A compelling piece of evidence for god is hard for me to say because

1) There are many gods

and

2) There is no clear definition for god(s)

ghunter1

Why are you looking for evidence of gods! Religion is about belief and faith. As the Cathars believed, you will find your own God if he is to exist.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Why are you looking for evidence of gods! Religion is about belief and faith. As the Cathars believed, you will find your own God if he is to exist.
1) I'm not. Reread the OP.

2) If you don't like a topic, don't post. There's no need to come into someone else's thread and then complain about it. Talk about rude.

Fortunato

Honest
Sorry to come to this discussion so late. It's nice to stumble upon a thread where so much good, reasoned thought has been displayed (especially the first 20 or so pages of it)!

Something I hear frequently from non-believers is that they would believe in God if there were any evidence. I have two issues with this statement.

1) There is some - admittedly very weak - evidence: the widespread reports of personal experiences with God. Now, I can see why this is unconvincing, but it is evidence. Weak, yes, but evidence nonetheless, which is more than can be said for the argument that there is no God. With that nit picked....

2) What evidence of God's existence could there be? You say that evidence would convince you, but what would qualify?

Please note, I am asking about God's existence only, not assuming that God wants us to believe/ worship. I don't believe that God cares one way or another what we believe, so those arguments - while valid when appropriate - are not relevant to this particular conversation.
I can think of two types of evidence that would likely convince me about the existence of god.
Personal experience - something along the order of a dead relative, let's say my grandma, coming back to life and visiting. Of course my first thought would probably be that I was hallucinating, but if other family members were around and could interact with her then that would help bolster my *conversion to belief*. Then again, I still might think we just suffered some sort of mass delusion. I guess that means grandma would have to stay for a while to make sure the experience was real.
Non-personal experience - This would require some sort of scientific type of testing and review, with very repeatable outcomes.

Storm, I agree with you that the fact that so many people from around the world claim to have had a personal experience with god is something which atheists shouldn't ignore. Earlier, it was asked if there is some sense or perception which allows people to experience god, which reminded me of an experiment I had heard. If a person was born completely color blind, it might be hard for them to accept that what others call colors are real. One way to demonstrate this for them would be to get a bunch of blocks of different colors and on the bottom of each one write the color which it matches. They could then ask people to pick up the red, or blue, or yellow block and could confirm for themselves by looking at the bottom of the block whether they were correct or not. Through repeated experiments, they would finally accept that other peoples ability to predict which block was which couldn't be explained by mere chance. If peoples inability to experience god themselves is due to a lack of a certain spiritual perception or training, then a similar experiment could theoretically demonstrate to the non-believing that there is actually something to this god-perception.

My second point is that based on what people have posted so far, most of these personal experiences don't necessarily reveal knowledge. People have a sense of being one with the universe, or they feel the presence of some higher power, or something along those lines. It is this type of a personal response and interpretation of the experiences which really makes me question that this is relevant to the outside world. Whatever this experience is, it's not like vision, smell, taste, touch, or sound which don't normally vary with peoples personal interpretations and are universally perceived by all. And therefore I highly doubt that an experiment, similar to the color blindness example, would prove this to be a new and different type of sensory perception. If studies showed that everyone who experienced this higher power was able to come back from that experience with new knowledge about the outside world (a prediction of some sort or revelations in the fields of math, science, literature, or the arts), then we could perhaps prove that it was some universal consciousness or power that they were communing with. If studies showed that this experience didn't impart knowledge, then I would have to conclude that the experience people were having was just that: an experience, i.e. the sensation of thought or reception of sensory signals to the brain.

It seems to me that what is gained from this type of experience is a personal awareness , revelation, or perspective on life and the universe. Which isn't to say that such experiences aren't valuable. Some of the best artists used mind altering drugs to gain a new perspective of the world. But from what I can tell this is more an experience of the mind/consciousness than it is a reflection of the world around us.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Sorry to come to this discussion so late. It's nice to stumble upon a thread where so much good, reasoned thought has been displayed (especially the first 20 or so pages of it)!
Meh, the threads been dead a while. No need to apologize for helping to revive it! :)

It seems to me that what is gained from this type of experience is a personal awareness , revelation, or perspective on life and the universe. Which isn't to say that such experiences aren't valuable. Some of the best artists used mind altering drugs to gain a new perspective of the world.
ITA. My theophany gave me a slew of questions and no answers. I'm dubious about the comparison to drugs, though.

But from what I can tell this is more an experience of the mind/consciousness than it is a reflection of the world around us.
I don't see it as an either/ or dilemma.

Fortunato

Honest
ITA. My theophany gave me a slew of questions and no answers. I'm dubious about the comparison to drugs, though.
I could be totally wrong with that comparison. I've never had one of these spiritual epiphanies or done drugs, so that's the best I could wrap my mind around it. From what I've read, they both can open new doors towards inner exploration. Of course, you run the risk with drugs, that they could also close such doors.:)

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
LOL, I don't know about drugs, either. That's why I limit myself to "dubious."

ghunter1

I am confused! I read the reply above, amongst others, on the existance/proof of a god and put in a small reply.
In what way was I being rude and in what way would this merit a 'new' thread?

Tiapan

Grumpy Old Man
As I understand it there are two types of evidence, objective and subjective.
Rationalists prefer objective evidence while spiritualists tend to prefer subjective evidence.

But I guess by definition they are both evidence.

Well, when I was quite young I had an intense and transformative theophany (spontaneous trance state). I know, on a primal, totally unscientific level, that that was God, and I've been obsessed with figuring out what that means ever since.

So in the case of Storms syncope experience, I can agree rationally and objectively that the event probably occurred, but the spiritual conclusion she created is surely subjective.

Cheers

Last edited:

logician

Evidence for god, let's see, since there are hundreds if not thousands of god concepts out there, which concept are we seeking evidence for? All of them? One of them?

One needs a very clear definition of what god is, before you could find evidence for it, otherwise, you may not recogize it when you see it.

Tiapan

Grumpy Old Man
I tried to keep the OP generic, but perhaps that wasn't such a good idea. Shall we go with my own God-concept?

I believe that the physical cosmos is an aspect of God, rather than God's creation. I do not believe in the supernatural. God is both the source and sum of all matter, consciousness, and life force (energy) in this universe, the universe itself being the ininitely complex interaction of those three elements.

Now, how in the world would science go about dis/proving that?

To be perfectly honest, the purpose of this thread is to get those nonbelievers who do say "I would believe if there were any evidence" to give a bit more thought to that statement. If you don't say such things, the OP is not directed at you, though all thoughtful replies are appreciated, and the discussion much enjoyed.
Storm's
GODIVERSE = MATTER + ENERGY + CONSCIOUSNESS

Physical
UNIVERSE = MATTER + ENERGY + COMPLEXITY

IF COMPLEXITY = CONSCIOUSNESS

THEN GODIVERSE = UNIVERSE

THEREFORE NO PROOF Needed

BUT IF CONSCIOUSNESS IS NOT EQUAL TO COMPLEXITY

THEN GODIVERSE IS NOT EQUAL TO UNIVERSE

THEREFORE EVIDENCE REQUIRED

Cheers

Last edited:

slave2six

Substitious
I don't believe that God cares one way or another what we believe, so those arguments - while valid when appropriate - are not relevant to this particular conversation.
In that case, what does it matter whether someone believes in a god or not? It seems to me that it would only matter if this deity either required belief or intended to interact with humans in some way. Otherwise, the question is like asking "what is the sound of one hand clapping?". Who cares?

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Evidence for god, let's see, since there are hundreds if not thousands of god concepts out there, which concept are we seeking evidence for? All of them? One of them?

One needs a very clear definition of what god is, before you could find evidence for it, otherwise, you may not recogize it when you see it.
The evidence is personal, and does not require proving to others.
The concept is what one finds, and is not related to the god concepts of others.