• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evolution and atheism

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
What is the relationship between atheism and the theory of evolution?
The individual human being becomes merely a piece of a whole system and the idea that the universe has a will directed for the ego's individual purposes or good fades out accordingly. There is no need for an intervening "God" once one adopts the understanding that being is but a cog in a bigger machine that does not depend on the well-being of any particular, individual organism.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
doppelgänger;2105768 said:
The individual human being becomes merely a piece of a whole system and the idea that the universe has a will directed for the ego's individual purposes or good fades out accordingly. There is no need for an intervening "God" once one adopts the understanding that being is but a cog in a bigger machine that does not depend on the well-being of any particular, individual organism.
Hmm. That's close to how I would've described the relationship between atheism and Newtonian physics... Newton's devout religious beliefs notwithstanding.

newhope101

At first I thought this will be an easy reply. Then I thought about primitive tribes. They likely have some God but may have not heard of ToE. One can be an atheist and still not accept evolution I suppose. I expect there are people that don't think anything about evolution, nether accept nor deny it.
I guess if an atheist ever ponders the question of where we came from, evolution is a good answer.

What if ToE was never put forward. Would atheists have a dilemma?

I expect for the atheist evolution gives a satisfactory answer to where mankind came from. It's a good relationship. I expect it is a strong relationship.

Last edited:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I think one of the basic things to realize is that evolution does not deal with the beginning of life, but with organisms.
evolution does not deal with the creation of life (or the earth), but with the development of life.
personally speaking, I do however give weight to claims by evolutionary biologists that life did not need a divine intelligence making the jump start, and thus I find the two to complement each other, however a lot of movements within the major religions have embraced the theory of evolution with conforming it with their theology about the creation of life or the universe.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
At first I thought this will be an easy reply. Then I thought about primitive tribes. They likely have some God but may have not heard of ToE.
By the same token, there were many people before the advent of evolutionary theory who still rejected the idea of god(s).

I don't think so. "I don't know, therefore God" is never a valid argument.

Also, as I kinda touched on earlier, Newton's work was some of the first to tackle the idea that if God didn't keep his hand on the universe, everything would fly apart into chaos.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Science, including ToE, provides explanations that work with or without God. I think part of the impulse for religion is a way to explain how we got here and what we're doing here. A religious belief system provides a complete explanation that includes how we got here, what we're supposed to be doing, what our purpose is, and what will happen to us after we die. By providing an alternative explanation that does not require (although it does allow) God, ToE, and science in general, makes it possible to be an atheist, although it does not require it.

All of science does this but usually only ToE really bothers theists, because it doesn't just explain how the planet got here, or how the universe came to be, but how we in particular came into existence. Since many religious texts and belief systems offer an alternative explanation for this, it tends to conflict with their literal explanations.

Random

They are mutual beneficiaries of an idea to which human nature can never become wholly accustomed, and indeed will always inevitably rebel against in the long-term; that we are but machines.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
At first I thought this will be an easy reply. Then I thought about primitive tribes. They likely have some God but may have not heard of ToE. One can be an atheist and still not accept evolution I suppose.

I hear it happens, but it is quite the oddity.

I expect there are people that don't think anything about evolution, nether accept nor deny it.
I guess if an atheist ever ponders the question of where we came from, evolution is a good answer.

I can't think of any. For that matter, I don't see how the ToE could be kept out of the public eye, either. Its discovery was very much unavoidable.

I expect for the atheist evolution gives a satisfactory answer to where mankind came from. It's a good relationship. I expect it is a strong relationship.

Agreed.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Kinda of how Kilgore Trout said: both get away from the zone of confort of some particularly traditional Abrahamists (and maybe people from some other faiths such as Shinto, I suppose), because they offer explanations that don't involve God.

newhope101

Quote LuisDantas "I can't think of any. For that matter, I don't see how the ToE could be kept out of the public eye, either. Its discovery was very much unavoidable".

So we're exploring a relationship.... WHAT IF...ToE was disproved? Use your imagination! Perhaps think back to the time that ToE was not around. I'm sure there were people that did not believe in God perhaps as a result of their experiences or whatever. I wonder what they thought. I expect the answer would involve not needing ToE as a basis for non belief. In this way perhaps it is not a close relationship.

Then again, would an atheist grieve if ToE was put to death? If so, perhaps it's a close relationship.

Not unlike human relationships..once you are introduced to someone(something) you love when it dies your grieve. If you don't love someone, but only care a little the grief is not so deep.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Quote LuisDantas "I can't think of any. For that matter, I don't see how the ToE could be kept out of the public eye, either. Its discovery was very much unavoidable".

So we're exploring a relationship.... WHAT IF...ToE was disproved? Use your imagination!
Then scientists would continue to try to learn how we ahve so many different kinds of organisms.
Perhaps think back to the time that ToE was not around. I'm sure there were people that did not believe in God perhaps as a result of their experiences or whatever. I wonder what they thought. I expect the answer would involve not needing ToE as a basis for non belief. In this way perhaps it is not a close relationship.
If they were smart, they should have thought something like, "Science hasn't figured that out yet. Eventually, they probably will. Meanwhile, let's keep studying the question."

Then again, would an atheist grieve if ToE was put to death? If so, perhaps it's a close relationship.
No, they would wait for science to figure out how we get so many different kinds of organisms.

Like the many yet unsolved scientific questions.

Not unlike human relationships..once you are introduced to someone(something) you love when it dies your grieve. If you don't love someone, but only care a little the grief is not so deep.
I don't have an investment in a specific theory, only in figuring out what the answer is.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

So we're exploring a relationship.... WHAT IF...ToE was disproved?

The only way would be by finding an even better fit to available evidence. It would be very exciting! Biologists worldwide would certainly be thrilled if that happened.

But really, what are the odds?

Use your imagination! Perhaps think back to the time that ToE was not around. I'm sure there were people that did not believe in God perhaps as a result of their experiences or whatever. I wonder what they thought. I expect the answer would involve not needing ToE as a basis for non belief. In this way perhaps it is not a close relationship.

Even today, Evolution is rarely if ever a factor in adopting atheistic beliefs. At most, by its existence it makes people a bit less afraid of admitting that they don't believe in God. In fact, I can easily see someone being inspired to believe in God due to the beauty of the variety of species. That is however no reason to assume that Evolution is some sort of misunderstanding when evidence is so definitive.

Only if it were "put to death" by a movement founded on superstition and ignorance, I guess. Which is quite unlikely to happen, but proposed by a bewildering number of people anyway.

Scientific theories don't follow that mold at all well, however. They must prove their worth constantly if they are to survive :)

Last edited:

gnostic

The Lost One
autodidact said:

They are not related.

From what I can tell, Charles Darwin wasn't an atheist. Was he?

His friend, T.H. Huxley was agnostic (and founder of agnosticism, or at the very least, coined the word, agnosticism, and defined it). Perhaps, Darwin was too.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
They are not related.

From what I can tell, Charles Darwin wasn't an atheist. Was he?

Nope. He was a Christian to death, although arguably tending to agnostic at the close of his life. In fact, it was largely because he was a Christian that he almost failed to revel his discoveries.

His friend, T.H. Huxley was agnostic (and founder of agnosticism, or at the very least, coined the word, agnosticism, and defined it). Perhaps, Darwin was too.

Who knows. It is such a personal and ultimately minor matter.