• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evolution and atheism

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Sorry intellectual fulfilled atheists can not exist without evolution.
I would say Epicuris was intellectually fulfilled. As was Democritus, Anaximander and many other Greek philosophers who were atheists who knew nothing of evolutionary theory.
Throughout history Atheists have been able to reject the God concept based simply on lack of evidence for such a being. Evolutionary thought need not enter the picture.
While today, if you asked an Atheist where the diversity of life came from, they would answer with the logical scientific answer of Evolution, it is not a prerequisite for non-belief in any sort of deity to have a working knowledge of Evolution and Evolutionary Theory.

gnostic

The Lost One
evolved yet? said:
Sorry intellectual fulfilled atheists can not exist without evolution.

There are many fields in science which anyone (including atheists) can pursue other than evolution. Evolution is only just one part in a full spectrum of biological science. People can satisfy their curiosity and can find intellectual fulfillment without evolution.

Many of my cousins are atheists, and most of them don't follow the direction of science in their chosen fields (into business, like business, marketing, etc), and most of them don't understand evolution. Their intellects are satisfied elsewhere.

I have some understandings of evolution (the more advanced stuff, I don't know about because I am not biologist) and do believe that evolution is the best explanation with biological changes, survival in changing environments, etc. However, it is not large part of my life, intellectually or otherwise.

In fact, I find astronomy far more interesting and challenging then evolution; that's just me. Again, I am not an astronomer, but I love learning new discoveries in the astronomical field.

bravoandi

Are we talking about human evolution or the evolution of all organisms? I don't believe in a god, but if I did I would argue that he could have put an intellect and free will in a primate, and the Adam and Eve of Genesis could have had tails and walked on their feet and knuckles.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
2004-09-15.gif

No point, I just thought it was funny.