• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evolution of what?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Reading about Krakatoa will give some insight into the causes and results of Continental Drift.

Krakatoa, like all volcanoes, are a product of Continental Drift.
It also shows that vegetation and life forms grew rather quickly after the disasters. Another thing it shows is that there were little records of one of the big blasts.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
It also shows that vegetation and life forms grew rather quickly after the disasters.
Also shows?!?!?! Volcanoes are part of the subduction zones and hot spots with histories of millions of years of geologic activity.

Yes, but so what?!?!?
Another thing it shows is that there were little records of one of the big blasts.
Huh!?!?! Nonsense.

In the layers of deposits around the large volcanoes there is evidence of eruptions for over tens of thousands of years.

In Continental Drift the volcanoes occur the subduction zones and hot spots.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Also shows?!?!?! Volcanoes are part of the subduction zones and hot spots with histories of millions of years of geologic activity.

Yes, but so what?!?!?

Huh!?!?! Nonsense.

In the layers of deposits around the large volcanoes there is evidence of eruptions for over tens of thousands of years.

Yes there were reports I'll go over this later. Thanks.

ChieftheCef

What may be called?!?! Not always . . . I consider your conclusions in post#1503 hypothetical not factual.
Fair enough. I just dint think it would remotely be in India. That's not even near where civilization started. There are gods older than Hinduism. Older than Suneria even

ChieftheCef

Yes, but so what?!?!?

Huh!?!?! Nonsense.

Keep up the good fight. Thanks for helping to save me from potential genocide

Bharat Jhunjhunwala

TruthPrevails
Yes, but misrepresenting Joseph Campbell and claiming a historical basis for myths is not credible. Joseph Campbell did not consider myths real history.

Academic history is not based on kernels of truth from mythology. Kernels of truth may help put mythology in the context of history, but it cannot justify mythology.

The existence Mount Ararat does not Justify the Noah and world flood story.

This can describe many locations in the Middle East. It remains the Garden of Eden is mythology and not based on any known historical facts,

So what????No relatonship to reality or academic history.

You are still making vague undocumented association based on mythology

Bogus claims based on assumptions of mythology and selective misrepresentation of archeological evidence. No factual evidence whatsoever base on speculation of ancient mythology. The oldest known villages in the world are located in the Middle East. There is abundant evidence of habitation by humans over 300,000 years in Africa, Middle Est and Asia. The oldest is in Africa and the Middle East.

The origin of our evolution of our language is in the Steppes of Central Western Asia.

You are ignoring and failed to respond to the specific factual evidence for the accounts of Exodus based on Egypt and the Levant,
Let us not play with words and let us understand the crux. I agree that Joseph Campbell did not consider myths to be real history, but he also says that they are not pure falsehood. So, there is a kernel of history which then develops into the so-called myth. Our ability lies in retrieving that kernel of history which is embedded in the history.

I agreed that existence of Mount Ararat does not justify the Noah and the world flood story but we have a mount Aravalli in the Indus Valley which does justify Noah's flood because we have a bonelike structure in Jalore where such a local flood of long duration could have taken place.

I think you are jumping the gun. Please see the attached paper on the relationship of on the location of Eden in the Indus Valley.

Attachments

• Garden of Eden.pdf
    476.5 KB · Views: 34

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Let us not play with words and let us understand the crux. I agree that Joseph Campbell did not consider myths to be real history, but he also says that they are not pure falsehood. So, there is a kernel of history which then develops into the so-called myth. Our ability lies in retrieving that kernel of history which is embedded in the history.
You are the one playing with words, because you consider the Pentateuch actual history including actual real Garden of Eden location, and Joseph Campbell did not even hint any such historical reality of ancient myths as history. Being kernels of history or embedded in history des not remotely translate as actual history as you claim. As with Joseph Campbell I fully acknowledge the relationship between mythology and history.

By the way there are a number of mountains with dry or semi-dry ancient wadis in four directions that in the ancient past were verdant plentiful plains with even ancient cities before climate changes made the deserts today.
I agreed that existence of Mount Ararat does not justify the Noah and the world flood story but we have a mount Aravalli in the Indus Valley which does justify Noah's flood because we have a bonelike structure in Jalore where such a local flood of long duration could have taken place.
IT is mythology and no such flood described in the Bible took place, It is based on the Sumerian Tigris Euphrates flood that is documented geologically. The story was handed down as an oral legend first that written, and the Pentateuch account is based on the Sumerian and Babylonian accounts of the thread, This what Joseph Campbell described as how myth is based on historical events.
I think you are jumping the gun. Please see the attached paper on the relationship of on the location of Eden in the Indus Valley.

I say the paper and it is unbelievably false, The account of the journey in the Pentateuch described actual documented trade locations in the Sinai.

It remains factual the specific genetic relationship between Canaanite/Hebrews and Egyptians as Semitic people goes back over 3000 years, The archeological evidence documents Canaanite/Hebrew continuous culture, language and religion over 3000 years. No such relationship documented relationship with the Indus Valley.

Last edited:

wellwisher

I am accustomed to the idea of a direct creation by God in different stages, each one giving rise to the conditions that would be needed for the next creation... and so on for six stages called "days" in the Bible. It is even said that from time to time God inspected what he had just created or formed to see if it could be considered excellent (Gen. 1:10,12,18,21,25).

Why are evolutionist so focused only in the alleged "evolution" of animals if the environment must have change also?

I want to hear more about it; you, guys, are reading just a paragraph of that story of fiction, but people need the whole story, like the one I learn out of the Bible ...
Darwin's concept of natural selection is connected to the pressures and needs of the changing physical environment. When the Sahara Desert changed to desert, life there had to adapt, migrate, until what was chosen could handle the new conditions. It is the modern genetic centric approach that does not allow an integrated earth model, since natural selection is not exclusively, genetic. The brain and consciousness, via migration can game local natural selection criteria, by walking to where it can be selected. There are mass seasonal migrations that still work.

Water is a much better base variable, since water is the main basis for climate and water can even erode mountains. The earth surface is covered by water. Water can also be found from the atmosphere all the way to the earth's core. It plays a role in plate tectonics. It is also the main component of life. Water is the bridge between all including the earth, life, the brain and consciousness. A fully integrated model is easier to do with water.

The Life Sciences; like evolution, are sort of stuck at observational empiricism due to too much reliance on the black box of statistics. This type of empirical science, although useful, is similar to using a cell phone, while staying at the level of the GUT; Graphic User Tech. We look at the screen and through touch, voice and links we can do what appeared to be endless tasks. We can use a single program like Microsoft Word, and do what appears to be endless word, grammar, poster, etc. projects, on just that one app. Evolution and DNA is like one app of GUT science.

There is no need to go deeper into the hardware and software to see how that works. The black box takes care of that. The warranty is voided if you open your cell phone to look inside. Only certified techs can do that and not avoid the warranty. We can have a lifetime of fun staying just at the GUT. Social media alone can entertain you day after day for hours each day. We can even learn hacks to get new and hidden capabilities all from the GUT. That is empirical science.

If we were to leave the black box of GUT, and open the cell phone; lose the black box warranty, to look at the hardware and software, it is all based on logic and is not as random as the GUT based endless applications seem to imply. The program code is highly regimented with anything out of logic causing a bug. You could not use a randomizer on the bytes of code and expect anything but bugs or worse. The hardware is assembled based on logic; get the most out of the space while adding efficiency, capability, cooling, and battery life.

But from the GUT of empirical science, like Evolution, they ignore any logic behind what appears to be randomness in evolution. There are plenty of organic centric games to play, so nobody gets bored and tires. There is no need to open the device to void the warranty and see what is behind the GUT.

Anyone who just get a new phone or updates the operating system, will have to do some empirical science via trial and error until a sense or order appears; empirical approach. You push the buttons and links and make note what it does, while not needing to understand the code or hardware configurations. I would like to see the Life Science get beyond the GUT of nature and figure out its internal logic. The golden age of science ended in the 1920's when the GUT approach became used. It was the advancement of engineering; better tools for the GUT, that made the GUT approach seem like progress. It was not better logic and better theory. Having two or three monitors; GUT tools, does allow more options and can look impressive but it still require you stay in the black box of GUT trial and error until things correlate.

Bharat Jhunjhunwala

TruthPrevails
You are the one playing with words, because you consider the Pentateuch actual history including actual real Garden of Eden location, and Joseph Campbell did not even hint any such historical reality of ancient myths as history. Being kernels of history or embedded in history des not remotely translate as actual history as you claim. As with Joseph Campbell I fully acknowledge the relationship between mythology and history.
I never said that Campbell said that the Garden of Eden was located at a certain place. All I am saying is that Campbell does say that behind the mythology, there is a kernel of truth. In this case, my understanding is that Garden of Eden was located at a mountain from which four rivers flow in four directions. I do not know of any other place on the earth other than Pushkar where such a situation is obtained. Possibly it is. I will be happy to know if it is so.

It seems we have not taken the trouble to read the paper that I sent. It is published in a respectable journal and I think we would have a much better discussion after you have read the paper.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I never said that Campbell said that the Garden of Eden was located at a certain place. All I am saying is that Campbell does say that behind the mythology, there is a kernel of truth. In this case, my understanding is that Garden of Eden was located at a mountain from which four rivers flow in four directions. I do not know of any other place on the earth other than Pushkar where such a situation is obtained. Possibly it is. I will be happy to know if it is so.
You are still misrepresenting Joseph Campbell, because he does not remotely support anything close to you considering the mythology of the Pentateuch as representing actual history. A kernel of truth is a kernel of truth and does not make mythology history. This is called "name dropping" to give credibility that actually does not support your argument. Joseph Campbell does not consider mythology history Every historian and anthropologist will acknowledge that mythology is set in history and may contain kernels of truth.

The Garden of Eden is mythology. Your understanding does not help it. Your geographic association are not unique to the Indus Valley and remotely circumstantial. As previously stated that there are mountains in Saudi Arabia with ancient rivers flowing in four directions when the climate very wet and the vegetation was abundant in the past. There are even ancient villages.
It seems we have not taken the trouble to read the paper that I sent. It is published in a respectable journal and I think we would have a much better discussion after you have read the paper.
I have read the paper.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
You can predict its existence by science.
No.
That area back before man had discovered the use of fire had been jungle. The area surrounding the four rivers was lush with terrestrial life.
This remains mythology and not history. At one time the Middle East and Northern Africa was a verdant abundant world with prairies, tropical forests, lakes, rivers, As their world dried out they lost paradise, and moved to the river valleys.

gnostic

The Lost One

Myths often comes in two forms:
  1. As cultural narratives, like epic poems, or scriptural narratives.
  2. Or as some sorts of devotional lyrics, like hymns. Devotions to deities or to demigods.
Most people - the experts in mythology, folklore and legends - have the tendencies to focused on the former (narratives) than the later (devotional texts).

The thing with mythological narratives, they are often written with appearances or resemblance of being “history-like”, sometimes including names of places that are geographically real, hence the kernel of truth, but a large parts of the narrative is more myths than history.

Like in the creation of the Garden of Eden, it mentioned Euphrates & Tigris, are 2 geographical rivers located in most Iraq, but also in the Armenian Highlands that are part of modern Turkey. Just because Genesis 2 can named 2 actual rivers (2 kernels of truth), don’t make the rest of story - creations of Adam & of Eve, the creation of man before creation of plants before the creation of animals (which contradicted the order of timeline of creation in Genesis 1), the fruits from trees that can give knowledge or give eternal life, the talking serpent, and the angel with sword of fire, etc, don’t make this myth as history or fact.

Homer could name many of the cities that existed in his time, in the Iliad and Odyssey, but it doesn’t make the Trojan War any more historical than the myth of Adam and Eve or the Garden of Eden.

Many authors writing modern fictions often set the scenes of their narratives in real places, but these don’t make these novels as nonfiction and historic.

Having kernel or some kernels of truth, don’t turn myth into history.

And there lies the heart of the problem. Some believers of religious texts often fall for these traps, confusing myths with history, because of there have been some sorts of kernels behind the narratives, justifying their beliefs.

GoodAttention

Since you insist on defending your paper which I took the time to read, I will insist on questioning it.

I hope you will show me the same respect and respond in kind.
  • If Ezekiel 28 does not say Eden was a mountain, then what does it say?
Ezekiel 28:13 - You were in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone adorned you: carnelian, chrysolite and emerald, topaz, onyx and jasper, lapis lazuli, turquoise and beryl.

Ezekiel 28:14 - You were on the holy mount of God; you walked among the fiery stones.

Where does it say Eden was a mountain? Are you interpreting the "You" described to be Eden??

• You have to give your alternative. Please give your alternative interpretation.
Alternative to Ezekiel 28? It is describing a person, or perhaps a metaphor for Cain, but I also don't know I can only speculate. However I would disagree the wording suggests it is describing Eden.

• I am happy that you think Gihon was the Indus River and so you are bringing it to the Indus Valley. But the Dion cannot be Indus because the four rivers have to have a source at one place. I am showing that such four rivers are found at Pushkar in Rajasthan as given in my paper and I'm attaching the same again.
What is the true source of any river? It is rain. It is the water cycle. This is your kernal of truth.

The garden of Eden isn't a physical point from which the rivers must start from.

It is the point from which water rises to become clouds, and then rain to fall upon mountains that then become rivers.

• Again, Pishon is the Nile we have to look at the four rivers having their source at one place. Nile and Indus don't work.
If the rivers "don't work" either the rivers are wrong, or the idea that they have to originate as rivers from one physical point is wrong.

The descriptions for the Gihon to be the Indus (Singhi Kamban) and Pishon to be the Nile (Wadi Hammamat as Land of Havilah) are, in my opinion, correct without reasonable alternative.

Hence, see above why they do work.

• I do explore the Mesopotamian location at Qurnah on the shut al Arab in the Persian near the Persian Gulf.
The location, if it existed at all, is under the Persian Gulf waters.

Which is to say, any "physical property" of the Garden of Eden relates to the water cycle, but any "physical location" doesn't exist because there is no physical point from which the rivers must rise from.

The water cycle continues with the evaporation of sea water.

Bharat Jhunjhunwala

TruthPrevails
You are still misrepresenting Joseph Campbell, because he does not remotely support anything close to you considering the mythology of the Pentateuch as representing actual history. A kernel of truth is a kernel of truth and does not make mythology history. This is called "name dropping" to give credibility that actually does not support your argument. Joseph Campbell does not consider mythology history Every historian and anthropologist will acknowledge that mythology is set in history and may contain kernels of truth.

The Garden of Eden is mythology. Your understanding does not help it. Your geographic association are not unique to the Indus Valley and remotely circumstantial. As previously stated that there are mountains in Saudi Arabia with ancient rivers flowing in four directions when the climate very wet and the vegetation was abundant in the past. There are even ancient villages.

I have read the paper.
I think we are not disagreeing but somehow, we are contesting the words. All I'm saying is that the Pentateuch cannot be rubbished simply because it has been transmitted over so many thousand years. It's an inspired text and we should assume it is correct unless proven otherwise. All I am saying is that the descriptions of Garden of Eden match with Indus Valley and Since you said you have read the paper, I would very much like you to rebut it, or at least give your basic arguments against the paper. I would be thankful for the same.