• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evolution, scientific methods, and reason are losing in America's classrooms

Man of Faith

Kinda like when people want to see proof that a god actually exists. What makes more sense: that commons species have ancestors and genes that are close in percentage or a magic being created everything out of nothing? Of course much of faith doesn't have to make sense to it's followers.

This is philosophy, not science, that is why evolution isn't winning, people need to fall back on philosophy to argue for it, not any evidence.

Skwim

Veteran Member
This is philosophy, not science, that is why evolution isn't winning, people need to fall back on philosophy to argue for it, not any evidence.
Now wouldn't THAT be convenient for creationists; science just abandons evidence and instead opts for philosophy. :bonk: In your dreams, MoF. :sleep: In your dreams.

Archer

If evolution could be supported in the Bible then it would have came out before someone that decided to not take the Bible into account and come up with it.

God and faith were a given when the theory first rendered its head.

The Bible says nothing and something the how, other than God did, it is not covered period, end of story. My faith in the Father is such that nothing can shake it.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
This is neither here nor there. The majority of people in my Church homeschool have kids who graduate from highschool at 14 and are done their college degree at 18. There are way more issue with how people are teaching in America then what they are teaching.

I would meet you part-way on that. I think the quality of teachers and their competence to teach plays a major factor as well. I also am of the opinion however that subject matter should not be such that it introduces outright nonsense in the classroom purporting to be something otherwise.

rusra02

Premium Member
"High School Biology Teachers in U.S. Reluctant to Endorse Evolution in Class, Study Finds

The majority of public high school biology teachers in the U.S. are not strong classroom advocates of evolutionary biology, despite 40 years of court cases that have ruled teaching creationism or intelligent design violates the Constitution, according to Penn State political scientists. A mandatory undergraduate course in evolutionary biology for prospective teachers, and frequent refresher courses for current teachers, may be part of the solution, they say.

"Considerable research suggests that supporters of evolution, scientific methods, and reason itself are losing battles in America's classrooms," write Michael Berkman and Eric Plutzer, professors of political science at Penn State, in the January 28 issue of Science.

The researchers examined data from the National Survey of High School Biology Teachers, a representative sample of 926 public high school biology instructors. They found only about 28 percent of those teachers consistently implement National Research Council recommendations calling for introduction of evidence that evolution occurred, and craft lesson plans with evolution as a unifying theme linking disparate topics in biology.

In contrast, Berkman and Plutzer found that about 13 percent of biology teachers "explicitly advocate creationism or intelligent design by spending at least one hour of class time presenting it in a positive light." Many of these teachers typically rejected the possibility that scientific methods can shed light on the origin of the species, and considered both evolution and creationism as belief systems that cannot be fully proven or discredited.'

source and more
And all the time I thought we were making progress. :facepalm:

The forced teaching of the ToE smacks more of totalitarian repression than scientific enlightenment. Just saying...

Noaidi

slow walker
The forced teaching of the ToE smacks more of totalitarian repression than scientific enlightenment. Just saying...

Teachers hardly 'force' a subject on pupils - they teach the current best explanations that are supported by evidence. Are you against 'forcing' the teaching of gravity onto physics students? 'Forcing' germ theory onto medical students? People are taught theories because they are shown to work.
Likening teaching a subject to totalitarian repression is a bit extreme, don't you think?

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
As long as you're just saying it and not believing it, Okay.
icon14.gif

Iasion

This is a perfect example of the problem !

Evolution is an observed fact of nature,
just like gravity or electricity.

And, there is a theory to explain evolution,
just like gravity or electricity.

So does anyone claim
"The forced teaching of the Theory of Gravity smacks more of totalitarian repression than scientific enlightenment." ?
Of course not.

But in America, teaching the facts has been corrupted by religion - now a huge percentage of the population actually believes religious myths rather than scientific facts.

Just saying...

US education standards have slipped to nearly the LOWEST in the industrialised world.
The rest of the world is LAUGHING at you.

Just saying...

Iasion

kylixguru

Atheism and Theism has nothing to do with it. Europe has a lot of Theists too, and most of them don't oppose evolution.

Newsflash: Not all Theists are like fundie Christians.
Christians who eventually figure out how to understand the creation account of the Bible will realize the theory of evolution is one of their dearest friends.

For example, Christians will realize they really are a "fish" (Biblically speaking) and that they are going to need to do some very fast evolving before "the seas are no more" (Biblically speaking).

And, if they can understand that, then they will also understand why evolution as presented by scientists is also their friend.

Christians shall either evolve or die of thirst and suffocation.

RitalinO.D.

Maybe you need to start listening to instead of tuning out creationists.

Why the hell would anyone with half a brain want to do that?

It's really more common sense than anything. People are presented with facts, yet they are so blindly caught up in the myth that they just ignore it. Maybe they don't want to feel foolish for believing in a fairytale, who knows. I don't understand it myself.

kylixguru

key word right there.

this is exactly where religion has a negitive impact on humanity
What they should teach it as is a theory. They should also let people know what creationists believe too. Then, they should let the individuals make up their own mind. Better still, they should figure out what the Bible really intends and teach that right along side principles of evolution. It's all truth.

Dezzie

What I don't understand is why someone would become a Biology teacher if they are not going to teach their students about evolution. They need to find a different job IMO.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
What they should teach it as is a theory. They should also let people know what creationists believe too.

What would the rationale be? Facts are totally in the side of Evolution, and creationists don't even have a true hypothesis to offer as an alternative.

To present Creationism as if it had roughly equal credibility would be a gross disservice to the education of the youth.

kylixguru

What would the rationale be?
Social adjustment.

Facts are totally in the side of Evolution, and creationists don't even have a true hypothesis to offer as an alternative.
That doesn't prevent them from believing what they do. Which, after all, is a very significant fact.

To present Creationism as if it had roughly equal credibility would be a gross disservice to the education of the youth.
I didn't say it should be given any credibility. The theory of evolution should not be given any credibility either. This is the problem with the whole education system these days. Everybody wants to use it as a vehicle to tell people what to think.

As I envision a responsible and respectful educational system, it should present all information objectively, as well as teach people how to think, and then let them think for themselves.

It is a fact that many people hold to an unsubstantiated interpretation of the Bible. In my opinion, those false interpretations would be chased away faster if they were given more sunlight, not less.

That which you resist, you cause to persist.

Just let everything stand or fall on its own merits.

Gunfingers

Happiness Incarnate
It's weird how when my general science teacher taught me the theory that massive objects are attracted to each other no one decried her for using gravity to tell me what to think, but when my biology teacher taught me the theory that diversity in life is the result of cumulative changes in allele frequencies over subsequent generations suddenly he's a monster.