• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ex-Christian apologizes to everyone

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Ex-Christian apologizes for being a jerk to everyone else, here. Lots of good stuff. Typical excerpt:
I apologize to everyone on the face of the earth that has not accepted Jesus christ as their personal savior because I believed that you were all going to hell.

Half Asleep

Crazy-go-nuts
Your link doesn't work because it had profanity in the URL. Anyone who wants to get to the webpage will have to replace the "****" in the URL with the dreaded "S word."

Censorship is just plain stupid, and this is an example of how it bugs everything up.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Your link doesn't work because it had profanity in the URL. Anyone who wants to get to the webpage will have to replace the "****" in the URL with the dreaded "S word."

Censorship is just plain stupid, and this is an example of how it bugs everything up.

There's a reason for it here.

Occasional minor inconveniences do not justify lifting the filters.

dust1n

Zindīq
"I apologize to all my former Sunday school students because I taught you that the bible was the word of god. I perpetuated a myth that the bible is a special book that should be regarded ‘much more highly than it ought’. I encouraged you to trust this book, to think this book contained sacred ideas about life and god. I made you think that the stories in the bible were intrinsically valuable and could teach you about how god works and who god is. I apologize for always referring to god as a ‘he’, thereby further anthropomorphizing a pretend deity and making you think ‘he’ was real and decidedly masculine. I apologize for teaching you to think that you were a sinner and that Jesus had to die for you when you are really just a beautiful child, perfect in every way from the minute you were born (except for when you aren’t). I apologize for telling you that Jesus conquered death and that you should put your trust in him when there is not a shred of evidence of the resurrection except for what is in the bible. I apologize for not respecting your intelligence and glazing over thorny issues and rationalizing all the ******** that is so present at all times in ‘god’s word’. (I apologize for saying ******** in this apology). I apologize for ever calling the bible ‘god’s word’. It isn’t ‘god’s word’. It’s just a book. There are a lot of other much better books. There are books that helped humanity move beyond misogyny and slavery and tyranny. There are books that led to scientific discoveries which led to medicine and helpful machines and made the world a better place. None of those books are in the bible."

Best Part!

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I apologize for believing all sorts of mad things that are seriously messed up and incredibly hurtful to my fellow humans. Things like god causes the sins of the parents to punish the children and the grandchildren (which some christians use to explain birth defects). Things like excusing the extra creepy stuff in the bible (slavery, misogyny, genocide) based on ‘historical context’ instead of just insisting that it was wrong back then and it’s wrong now. I apologize for things like teaching the stories of big bible heroes like Abraham and Jacob and not insisting that taking a slave for a wife was a hideous violation of human rights because having a slave and then raping a slave and then fathering children with a slave is no way for anyone to EVER behave even if you are a BIBLE BIGWIG. I apologize for thinking it is okay for god to ask a person (Abraham) to murder their child to prove their faith and even thinking that if I really loved god, I too must be willing to murder my child if god asked me. I apologize for things like thinking that I had ever done anything so terrible… so horrible.. so AWFUL to warrant someone else to have to die on a cross for me. (Hey! I am far from perfect, but no one should have to be tortured and slowly murdered for my eternal salvation).

Smoke

Done here.

:cover: Oh noes! not the "s word"!

There's a reason for it here.
What is it? Seriously.

As for the blog post, I can't pick a best part. I like it all.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
This is quite interesting. I don't know of many people who've attempted such a huge change in their values.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
As a Christian, I don't apologize for things I didn't do, or for the misguided or just plain WRONG things that other people do in the name of religion.

My ancestors owned slaves. I never did. I don't believe that their guilt is transferred onto me, so I don't apologize for their actions or beliefs. I would never own a slave, or mistreat a person who worked for me, so I'm not guilty of the sin of slavery.

I don't try to judge who's going to hell and who isn't. I have enough work to do keeping my own self in order without trying to judge others. So I am not going to apologize for others who are judgmental - they don't represent me.

I live a life that shows respect for my fellow man, and if I owe someone a personal apology I give it to them in person.

But hey, maybe this guy is going through a twelve step program or something - who knows? Sounds like he's got a serious guilt complex.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
As a Christian, I don't apologize for things I didn't do, or for the misguided or just plain WRONG things that other people do in the name of religion.

My ancestors owned slaves. I never did. I don't believe that their guilt is transferred onto me, so I don't apologize for their actions or beliefs. I would never own a slave, or mistreat a person who worked for me, so I'm not guilty of the sin of slavery.

I don't try to judge who's going to hell and who isn't. I have enough work to do keeping my own self in order without trying to judge others. So I am not going to apologize for others who are judgmental - they don't represent me.

I live a life that shows respect for my fellow man, and if I owe someone a personal apology I give it to them in person.

But hey, maybe this guy is going through a twelve step program or something - who knows? Sounds like he's got a serious guilt complex.

You are the kind of Christian I am glad for Kathryn but unfortunately there are many, many who judge and condemn others.
Nobody is asking you to apologise for being Christian.

Smoke

Done here.
She's apologizing for the things she did and didn't do. She's not apologizing for the Crusades or something.

What sin? How can slavery be a sin when the Bible approves it? ;)

freethinker44

"S-word" should be censored too, the meaning is still the same.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
If I were to suddenly lose my faith, I would never apologize for believing in God later. I don't feel as though I would need to. I would apologize if I did do something to harm someone else inadvertently- whether it was from my faith or not. But if I do hurt someone, it would be me and not my faith that would hurt the person (I always hope to never hurt anyone).

freethinker44

Also, in another thread, Monta said "faeces." I couldn't believe it.

Perhaps anything and everything that alludes to any indecent or foul thing should be banned, why stop with just a single word? There are so many words that mean the same thing, why only censor one? :D

freethinker44

If I were to suddenly lose my faith, I would never apologize for believing in God later. I don't feel as though I would need to. I would apologize if I did do something to harm someone else inadvertently- whether it was from my faith or not. But if I do hurt someone, it would be me and not my faith that would hurt the person (I always hope to never hurt anyone).

Lol, faith doesn't kill people, people kill people.

Faith just makes it easier. :)

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Lol, faith doesn't kill people, people kill people.

Faith just makes it easier. :)

I honestly detest it when someone does something evil and tries to justify it using faith. I guess they think it makes them not guilty of a crime. And this is a person of faith saying this. ;)

gnomon

Exemplary.

footprints

Ex-Christian apologizes for being a jerk to everyone else, here. Lots of good stuff. Typical excerpt:

Hard to rationalise anything written on the internet. It could be a real and genuine story, or it could be many things.

If the story is genuine, I wouldn't mind talking to this person, person to person, just to see if there were no other underlying reasons why they swapped beliefs, and perhaps just using science as their justification.