• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ex-Christian apologizes to everyone

Perfect Circle

Just Browsing
I don't apologize for believing that people will go to Hell. It makes scientific sense and spiritual sense. However I can see why wishful thinking could lead a person to believe otherwise.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Scientific sense?! You're kill'en me over here...
Please, oh pleassssssse explain to me how hell makes scientific sense..

Burning in white trash food for all of eternity. This is truly a horrific punishment.

On a serious note though... I like Arby's sometimes. Though I usually get the market-fresh sandwich.

Perfect Circle

Just Browsing
On subject...

I can totally understand her wanting to apologize, and I don't see why anyone would think she's being insincere or lying.

When I was a very young (6-7 years old) I went to a southern baptist daycare. I remember being told one day that gay people were going to hell because the bible says so. Being a small child, I accepted it without question. One day, a few weeks later, my mother and I were at the house watching TV and something about homosexuals was referenced. I remember making the comment that it was too bad all those gays were doomed to hell. My mother looked at me shocked and asked why I would say that. I told her that I had been taught this at daycare and she got very upset and explained to me that whoever told me that was wrong.

I think that's a perfect example of why this lady apologized. If I hadn't made that remark around my mother at a such a young age, I may have gone on with that idea in my head for several more years. I think it's safe to say that it would have had a negative impact on me.

Alceste

Vagabond
Wow, are we ever OT! Alexander McCall Smith is a genius, especially the #1 Ladies Detective Agency series. And the Portuguese Verbs. Hey, if you like him, you might enjoy Marriage Bureau for Rich People, by Farahad Zama. I used to love Barbara Kingsolver before she got all serious; now I can't read her.

#1 Ladies Detective Agency turned me onto Red Bush (Rooibos) tea. I haven't read Kingsolver's latest, but I liked the Bean Trees and Poisonwood Bible. And the sequel to the Bean Trees. Thanks for the tip on Farahad Zama - I'll keep my eyes peeled. :p I'll tip you off to Thomas King to return the favour if you like your fiction intelligent but not too serious. Green Grass, Running Water springs to mind. PM me if you think of anything else I might like - I have a lot of spare time on my hands and a very cooperative local library.

Alceste

Vagabond
O.K., but the absolute best is True Crime that involves religion. Have you read Preacher's Girl, which is about this southern lady preacher's daughter who offs her husbands in rapid succession? I've read every Mormon murder True Crime ever, and it's embarrassing that I practically know the family trees of the LeBaron and Jeffs families, among others. Salamander Letter and stuff like that I just eat up.

I read something about a Mormon serial rapist doctor who targeted Mormon women because he was confident they would rarely notice and never complain. That was really disturbing but I can't remember what it was called. Ah, there it is: Amazon.com: Doc: The Rape of the Town of Lovell (9780689119590): Jack Olsen: Books

It's not a genre I usually dabble in myself, but Doc was lying around and I often dabble in whatever is lying around. I've read a few others but I'm not able to remember the titles except for In Cold Blood.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
#1 Ladies Detective Agency turned me onto Red Bush (Rooibos) tea. I haven't read Kingsolver's latest, but I liked the Bean Trees and Poisonwood Bible. And the sequel to the Bean Trees. Thanks for the tip on Farahad Zama - I'll keep my eyes peeled. :p I'll tip you off to Thomas King to return the favour if you like your fiction intelligent but not too serious. Green Grass, Running Water springs to mind. PM me if you think of anything else I might like - I have a lot of spare time on my hands and a very cooperative local library.

Thanks. Do you like Amy Tan? (should we be PMing this conversation?) I've learned so much about other countries by reading novels, especially India. They have so many good writers. Ooh, ooh, did you read A Fine Balance, by Rohinton Mistry? That is just a knockout book, absolutely superb. Please go directly to the library and get it and let me know if you loved it as much as I did.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I read something about a Mormon serial rapist doctor who targeted Mormon women because he was confident they would rarely notice and never complain. That was really disturbing but I can't remember what it was called. Ah, there it is: Amazon.com: Doc: The Rape of the Town of Lovell (9780689119590): Jack Olsen: Books

It's not a genre I usually dabble in myself, but Doc was lying around and I often dabble in whatever is lying around. I've read a few others but I'm not able to remember the titles except for In Cold Blood.

I think I read that years ago but forgot the Mormon element. My favorite ever in the evil doctor category is Blind Eye, about the most prolific serial murderer you never heard of, Dr. Michael Swango. It's actually very well-written. I still go on and on about Dr. Michael Swango to anyone who will listen.

footprints

I think I read that years ago but forgot the Mormon element. My favorite ever in the evil doctor category is Blind Eye, about the most prolific serial murderer you never heard of, Dr. Michael Swango. It's actually very well-written. I still go on and on about Dr. Michael Swango to anyone who will listen.

Fact intermixed with fiction make a volatile mixture when mixed in human perception. You would not be the first, nor will you be the last to be caught by this conjecture.

TheRattusN

I will admit this letter is funny to me. I do have to agree though that a Christian shouldn't apologize for their beliefs unless they actively hurt another human being on purpose. Yes, this would include participating in groups or ways that hurt other human beings like denying them the same rights as the one lobbying, voting, or practicing gets to enjoy. So, Christians, please don't apologize to me for your beliefs...or Hindus, Muslims, ect. Instead, to those Christians who do it, apologize for treating me like I'm a lesser person and must be shunned because I believe what I do.

Jordan St. Francis

From what I read, it does not seem that he had a particularly deep and abiding sense of Christian spirituality. In many ways, it certainly does not reflect my Christian experience.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
As a Christian, I don't apologize for things I didn't do, or for the misguided or just plain WRONG things that other people do in the name of religion.

My ancestors owned slaves. I never did. I don't believe that their guilt is transferred onto me, so I don't apologize for their actions or beliefs. I would never own a slave, or mistreat a person who worked for me, so I'm not guilty of the sin of slavery.

I don't try to judge who's going to hell and who isn't. I have enough work to do keeping my own self in order without trying to judge others. So I am not going to apologize for others who are judgmental - they don't represent me.

I live a life that shows respect for my fellow man, and if I owe someone a personal apology I give it to them in person.

But hey, maybe this guy is going through a twelve step program or something - who knows? Sounds like he's got a serious guilt complex.
I think this guys guilt comes from the fact that he was teaching children to be judgmental (teaching them who will and won't make it to heaven). I think anyone who even thinks they know who will go to hell should apologize for being an idiot.