• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ex-Christian apologizes to everyone

Wannabe Yogi

While one parent is using religious freedom to teach one thing, another is using it to teach something else. Where do you draw the line? Should a gay child live in fear of his parents? Should a child who is questioning his family's faith not have the same rights as those outside his family?

We are in agreement on this. There are abusive parents who use religion as a club to beat their children over the head with. Hell fire is not a good behavior control.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
IMO, the children have rights too which this can infringe on.
Children have the right to a safe and loving home. The rest is up to the parents.

My father was a deist. He taught me to think for myself and question everything. Was that infringing on my rights, or is it only bad when people teach their children a worldview you don't agree with?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
IMO, the children have rights too which this can infringe on.

Children have the right to a safe and loving home. The rest is up to the parents.

Either children have a right to develop their talents in a socially responsible manner, or they do not have a right to be true to themselves, nor, perhaps, to be fully human.

Last edited:

sonofskeptish

It is what it is
Here's a question... do I have the right to raise my young children to believe that my god, the flying spaghetti monster, is the only true god, and that all their friends and family who do not believe in him, and do not do as I say he says they should do, will go to hell for all eternity? For the record, the flying spaghetti monster is an all knowing and all powerful god who I say answers prayers but who's actually never delivered on any of them. Does anyone object to me claiming the rights to fill my children's brains with these beliefs?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Here's a question... do I have the right to raise my young children to believe that my god, the flying spaghetti monster, is the only true god, and that all their friends and family who do not believe in him, and do not do as I say he says they should do, will go to hell for all eternity? For the record, the flying spaghetti monster is an all knowing and all powerful god who I say answers prayers but who's actually never delivered on any of them. Does anyone object to me claiming the rights to fill my children's brains with these beliefs?
Yes of course, at least if you live in the U.S. The issue is not what rights you have, but what you should do with those rights.

sonofskeptish

It is what it is
Abusers have many tools.
I think it's better to focus on the abuser than their tools.

Yes of course, at least if you live in the U.S. The issue is not what rights you have, but what you should do with those rights.

Okay. I won't use my rights to do this then. ;)

Do I have any obligation to speak up for the young children of other FSM believers who IMO are not respecting the rights of their own children's freedom of religious thought?

LittleNipper

Parents are to be parents. They need to supervise what their children are doing, and they need to be willing to answer their questions.

Parents are to parent first and foremost. They were never supposed to be the child's pal. This is what parental love is all about ---- to provide what the child needs and not just what the child wants, when he/she wants it.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Parents are to be parents. They need to supervise what their children are doing, and they need to be willing to answer their questions.

Parents are to parent first and foremost. They were never supposed to be the child's pal. This is what parental love is all about ---- to provide what the child needs and not just what the child wants, when he/she wants it.

You might want to start a thread to share your views on parenting; they're irrelevant to what the rest of us were talking about here.

Wannabe Yogi

I have no problem teaching my child Hinduism. In fact I think it is my job as a parent. It is his job as a child to test my belief system and reject what is bad and accept the parts he likes. It is the values that we practice in my house. He is welcome to challenge my system of ethics as long as he is polite but he must live by the rules of our home.

Last year we had an issue. He wanted to join the boy scouts. I did not want him to because they discriminate against Atheists and Gays. Since it was his desire to join the boy scouts I told him that as his parent that I must at least talk to the scout master about my concerns. He did find it embarrassing but he said it would be ok as long as I did not "Preach" in front of his friends. I talked to the scout master alone and it all worked out. My son is a happy boy scout.

We must teach our kids our values and expect that they live by them while they live in our home. At the same time we need to give them some freedom to be thenselves.

Last edited:

LittleNipper

I have no problem teaching my child Hinduism. In fact I think it is my job as a parent. It is his job as a child to test my belief system and reject what is bad and accept the parts he likes. It is the values that we practice in my house. He is welcome to challenge my system of ethics as long as he is polite but he must live by the rules of our home.

Last year we had an issue. He wanted to join the boy scouts. I did not want him to because they discriminate against Atheists and Gays. Since it was his desire to join the boy scouts I told him that as his parent that I must at least talk to the scout master about my concerns known to him. He did find it embarrassing but he said it would be ok as long as I did not "Preach" in front of his friends. I talked to the scout master alone and it all worked out. My son is a happy boy scout.

We must teach our kids our values and expect that they live by them while they live in our home. At the same Sametime we need to give them some freedom to be thenselves.

I agree.

Wannabe Yogi

Here's a question... do I have the right to raise my young children to believe that my god, the flying spaghetti monster, is the only true god, and that all their friends and family who do not believe in him, and do not do as I say he says they should do, will go to hell for all eternity?

My question to you is. What type of sauce will I boil in for eternity. Pesto or a nice red sauce.

Alceste

Vagabond
I think if we are going to start talking about human nature, as some of us seem determined to do, then we should recognize it can be human nature to put down people we don't agree with. Perhaps this is the origin of the notion that Rechelle is not sincere? That she is a fraud? That she is a hater?

Whether or not it is the orgin of the notion she is a fraud, etc, it is far easier to assert that Rechelle is a fraud than it is to assert she is mistaken in her belief she committed some offense when she was a Christian that now requires her repentance.

So, by all means, go ahead and tell me that Rechelle is not sincere, is a fraud, is a hater. I certainly will not believe you unless you provide some compelling evidence for your claim. And if you repeatedly assert she is a fraud, etc, without supporting your assertions with compelling evidence, then what does that make you?

As for myself, I'm not sure what to think of Rechelle's desire to apologize for behaviors she thinks were inspired by Christianity. I don't know that an apology is necessary.

It does seem to be the case that impulsively mistrustful people reveal more about themselves by their choice of targets than they reveal about the target.

Personally, I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, unless they are in the professional lying business (Marketing, journalism or politics). Even then I give them the benefit of the doubt in that I assume their motives are sincere and that they would prefer to be decent, if not entirely honest, and that their foul-ups are the result of incompetence and / or mental disease rather than intentional evil-doing.

I would need some pretty solid evidence in order to mistrust a blogger writing on matters personal to herself, of all things. She has nothing to gain by deception. Plus I've seen that same transformation occur in life and at RF a number of times - people repent when they feel they've done wrong. It's only natural.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Oh, well, to each his own. I don't much care for fiction.

Real history and real sociological issues interest me a lot more. But that's just me.
So you do not read any fiction at all?
You must save tons by not going to the movies.

You might want to start a thread to share your views on parenting; they're irrelevant to what the rest of us were talking about here.
I second the motion.
I third the motion.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
So you do not read any fiction at all?
You must save tons by not going to the movies.
The older I get, the less fiction I read too. Mostly sciencey stuff, popular economics, evolutionary psychology--anything that helps me understand my world.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
No, I don't read much fiction, Mestemia. Never have, even as a child (I preferred autobiographies and biographies - even in grade school). And though I enjoy a variety of movie types, my favorites are based on true events. I particularly enjoy good documentaries.

Not sure why you felt the need to probe deeper into that, but hope that answers your question.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
No, I don't read much fiction, Mestemia. Never have, even as a child (I preferred autobiographies and biographies - even in grade school). And though I enjoy a variety of movie types, my favorites are based on true events. I particularly enjoy good documentaries.

Not sure why you felt the need to probe deeper into that, but hope that answers your question.

I was merely curious.

I am actually the exact opposite.
So it struck my curiosity.