• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ex-Christian apologizes to everyone

Watchmen

Premium Member
I don't think atheists would care one way or another. The apology is from a sunday school teacher to the real victims... the children who's minds were filled with lies from a position of trust and authority... an apology for the rape of their young minds.

Oh...please. You're comparing Sunday School to rape? That's disgusting and offensive.

Walkntune

They asked mother Teresa if she would be sorry if she was wrong in her faith? She replied would she be sorry if she lived a life of happiness, joy, and peace for nothing?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I can assure you that all my years of Sunday school, and all the hours that my mother and father spent reading bible stories to me at bedtime did much more good than harm to my young mind.

In church today, as we sang, "Just A Closer Walk With Thee," I was reminded of all those sweet Sunday mornings that I stood next to my grandmother and we sang that song together.

I feel sorry for anyone who didn't have similar experiences in their childhood.

Wannabe Yogi

I can assure you that all my years of Sunday school, and all the hours that my mother and father spent reading bible stories to me at bedtime did much more good than harm to my young mind.

In church today, as we sang, "Just A Closer Walk With Thee," I was reminded of all those sweet Sunday mornings that I stood next to my grandmother and we sang that song together.

Would you feel sorry for a little Buddhist child who had to listen to storys of the life of the Lord Buddha at bed time ?

Watchmen

Premium Member

sonofskeptish

It is what it is
So suppression of thought is the way you want to go? If religion is right, then isn't it the atheists who are filling defenseless children's minds with lies?

Atheists don't tell fairy tales or suppress thoughts, they promote free, rational, critical thinking. Here's an idea... lets agree to hold off filling their minds with ****** and wait until they can think/decide things for themselves. No need to prey on the children if the fairy tales will still make sense to them when they are older too. And in any case, let's drop the guilt and "burn in hell" stuff... life is too precious and too short to make children fearful of a non-existant boogeyman.

Last edited:

Watchmen

Premium Member
Atheists don't tell fairy tales or suppress thoughts, they promote free, rational, critical thinking. Here's an idea... lets agree to hold off filling their minds with ****** and wait until they can think/decide things for themselves. No need to prey on the children if the fairy tales will still make sense to them when they are older too. And in any case, let's drop the guilt and "burn in hell" stuff... life is too precious and too short to make children fearful of a non-existant boogeyman.

You're stereotyping...not all religion is guilt and burn in hell.

sonofskeptish

It is what it is

Were the wonderful tales in the Old Testament among your bedtime stories?

Alceste

Vagabond
I think it's genuine, based on this:

I apologize to my kids for being a passive aggressive christian mom. For saying things to them like ‘”if you are lying to me, god knows. He knows you are lying so you better not be lying because he knows. God knows everything. Are you lying? Because if you are lying god can tell. You can lie to your mom but you can’t lie to god. God sees everything. Are you lying? You better not be lying to me because even if I don’t know – god knows”

That's not standard knowledge re. Christian culture for heathens like me. I know a lot about the bible and the stuff that goes on when they get in the news, but nothing about the mind games they play with their kids in the privacy of their own homes.

Wannabe Yogi

Atheist of the 20th century have as much of a checkered past as any religious group. Both Mao and Po Pot have filled the minds of children with crap. They also killed many just because they had a faith. You must remember that Mao invaded Tibet killed and raped because he believed that religion poison. The 20th century has shown that religion is not the only opiate of the people.

sonofskeptish

It is what it is
"lots?"

So are you attempting to quantify your stereotyping?

Is that the best you can do... counter my argument by calling it "stereotyping"? Remember... this is about an ex-religious person apologizing for her crimes.

Last edited:

sonofskeptish

It is what it is
Atheist of the 20th century have as much of a checkered past as any religious group. Both Mao and Po Pot have filled the minds of children with crap. They also killed many just because they had a faith. You must remember that Mao invaded Tibet killed and raped because he believed that religion poison. The 20th century has shown that religion is not the only opiate of the people.

Bearded atheists or tall ones? Guess you'll be bringing Hitler in as the next example.

Last edited:

Kathryn

I think it's genuine, based on this:

I apologize to my kids for being a passive aggressive christian mom. For saying things to them like ‘”if you are lying to me, god knows. He knows you are lying so you better not be lying because he knows. God knows everything. Are you lying? Because if you are lying god can tell. You can lie to your mom but you can’t lie to god. God sees everything. Are you lying? You better not be lying to me because even if I don’t know – god knows”

That's not standard knowledge re. Christian culture for heathens like me. I know a lot about the bible and the stuff that goes on when they get in the news, but nothing about the mind games they play with their kids in the privacy of their own homes.

Are you serious? This isn't "standard Christian culture" or the way most Christians raise their kids. Sheeze, please tell me you're not that gullible.

But then, I guess it must be "standard human behavior" to automatically accept and believe grossly exxagerated tales about groups that you are already prejudiced against.

Kathryn

Here's an idea - let's allow responsible parents who love their children raise them with the moral values that they believe provide the best framework for their children's growth - without interfering with or undermining their authority to do so.