• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Exodus Archeology Evidence

Audie

Veteran Member
Historians didn't believed in Jesus or David exsiststed now historians are gradually are starting to change minds. Instead of following simply opinions you should focus on facts of the case.
Some may of may not have, but ...

Without names and dates, the statement does not mean much.

If you like facts, we'll, those need reliable data.

There's no factual data on anything miraculous.

Unless you want disproof, such as data showing there was no "Flood".

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
First of all acording Bible Exodus happened around 14/15 century BCE and there are interesting finds from that period.
Small caveat: strictly speaking, according to the Bible we don't really know when the Exodus occurred. The dating commonly ascribed to the biblical chronology is based on various calculations made by astronomers, historians and archeologists based on historical sources, archeological findings and scientific research. If you find flaws in the scientific method (and there are some such arguments), then you could actually redate the Exodus (as some have done).

Tamino

IMV, it's not meant to be literal, but a single story compiled to preserve multiple stories of how modern man came up out of Africa to migrate across the globe. It's enhanced, expounded, punctuated with miracles and awe to preserve the root and the incredible achievement itself.
That's an interesting take, actually. but too old, I think. There are much closer fits in the Bronze age... so why date the narrative back by tens of thousands of years when you have excellent sources for the narrative just centuries earlier?

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
That's an interesting take, actually. but too old, I think. There are much closer fits in the Bronze age... so why date the narrative back by tens of thousands of years when you have excellent sources for the narrative just centuries earlier?
But those sources could also be attributed to the oral traditions passed down of actual history. I really wish I had kept better notes over the years, but there is an archeological find that points to an actual city that the Tower of Babble story may have been the tale of.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
But those sources could also be attributed to the oral traditions passed down of actual history. I really wish I had kept better notes over the years, but there is an archeological find that points to an actual city that the Tower of Babble story may have been the tale of.
Perhaps you're thinking of the ziggurat of Borsippa and the stele found there?

Tamino

But those sources could also be attributed to the oral traditions passed down of actual history.
The evidence of Semitic people in Egypt is pretty solid. Archaeological finds of material culture in the Eastern Delta. Lists of prisoners taken in a pharao's campaign. Depictions of Semitic workers in tomb scenes. Several written accounts of the Hyksos (Kamose stela, biography of Ahmose son of Ibana...). Egyptian New Kingdom texts reflected in Hebrew scripture. Names of actual Egyptian cities. Egyptian names of people in Hebrew writings (it's not just Moses, I personally think his sister Miriam is "miria-Amun"/mr.t-imn)
The entire literal account of the Exodus might not fit, but the bits and pieces of the story are all over the place.

Audie

Veteran Member
The evidence of Semitic people in Egypt is pretty solid. Archaeological finds of material culture in the Eastern Delta. Lists of prisoners taken in a pharao's campaign. Depictions of Semitic workers in tomb scenes. Several written accounts of the Hyksos (Kamose stela, biography of Ahmose son of Ibana...). Egyptian New Kingdom texts reflected in Hebrew scripture. Names of actual Egyptian cities. Egyptian names of people in Hebrew writings (it's not just Moses, I personally think his sister Miriam is "miria-Amun"/mr.t-imn)
The entire literal account of the Exodus might not fit, but the bits and pieces of the story are all over the place.
Like bits and pieces that might have been about flood,
if there'd been a flood.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Those chariot wheels?
Even Christian-biased scholars don't support those...

Except it's not fair to say " even" Christian based.
Would it be fair to say that even creationist sites do not support this? I would agree that it is not proper to say that "Even Christian sites do not support Ron Wyatt since some of them do at least try to be honest. AiG and other such sites have thrown every last vestige of honesty out of the window it seems at times, but even for them the claims of Ron Wyatt are too much:

AdamjEdgar

If the story of Joseph and the tribes settling in Egypt is correct, then we're looking at the Hyksos era. But if the story of being slaves in Egypt is right, that fits with 18th dynasty prisoners-of-war.
So the Hebrew narrative kinda conflates the two and thus misses the Hyksos leaving and the prisoners entering the country. So how would you explain that?

Doesn't that actually line up with the bible statement that a pharoah came to power who did not know Joseph?

Let's also remember, the Israelites were in Egypt for hundreds of years...a 10 year discrepancy is not really an issue

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
have you read my file?
Yes. None of it has anything to do with the Exodus. You could have looked up your various claims and linked to them The first two accounts at best would be of Hebrew invasion of Canaan. There is nothing about the Exodus there. Your last claim involved the Brooklyn Papyrus which was far too recent to describe events from the Exodus. The Brooklyn papyrus is dated to around 450 BCE roughly a thousand years after the mythical event:

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
I think they played a pretty good game of telephone. Much better than played today just from the evening news to the grocery store. :)

Heyo

Veteran Member
  1. You single out "Christian" despite the fact that Exodus ih Hebrew scripture.
It's mostly Evangelical Christians who try to read Exodus as history. Jews mostly go with the evidence.
  1. You tell me that to reject the exodus narrative as high fidelity history is to cast Hebrew scripture as fake.
Not "fake", but myth. Jews usually don't have a problem with that. Afaik, there is no Jewish variant of AiG.

Tamino

I think they played a pretty good game of telephone. Much better than played today just from the evening news to the grocery store. :)
Yes. Egyptologist Jan Assmann called it "kulturelles Gedächtnis" -cultural memory.

Only that the Exodus story has two faces. To the Jews, the story of leaving Egypt and having one single god was positive: freedom an salvation. To the Egyptians, it was negative: foreign invasion by the Hyksos and the trauma of a heretic king.
I recommend Assmann's book "Moses der Ägypter" as an excellent source tracing this same game of telephone across centuries and cultures.

Bharat Jhunjhunwala

TruthPrevails
The Biblical narrative of the Exodus begins to make sense when read in the light of the Indus Valley. I give below various levels of evidence in support of this.
Textual Evidence
  1. Lack of Egyptian Records:
  • There are no Egyptian texts mentioning a large-scale exodus of Hebrew slaves, unlike the biblical account.
  1. Josephus and Mahabharata:
  • Josephus, citing Aristotle, mentions Jews originating from India, known to Indians as Kalami.
  • The Mahabharata describes Krishna (whom Jhunjhunwala equates with Moses) leaving the Indus Valley to an unknown place, which he suggests is Israel.
Ethnographic Evidence
  1. Beliefs in India:
  • Some Indian communities, like the Krishnaot Yadavas, believe they descend from Krishna, similar to the biblical Hebrews.
  • Various scholars and texts suggest a link between Yadavas and Jews.
Genetic Evidence
  1. Ashkenazi Jews and R-M124 Gene:
  • Although Ashkenazi Jews' genetic makeup largely traces back to the Middle East and Europe, the R-M124 gene, prevalent among certain Indian communities, is found in a small percentage of Ashkenazi Jews.
  • This gene might have originated from the Indus Valley population that migrated westward.
Linguistic Evidence
  1. Loan Words:
  • A minimal percentage of Egyptian loan words in Hebrew suggests limited direct contact.
  • Similarities in signs between the Indus Valley script and Northwest Semitic scripts imply possible linguistic connections.
Archaeological Evidence
  1. Mud Bricks and Straw:
  • The use of straw in making bricks, significant in the Indus Valley, aligns with biblical descriptions of Hebrew slaves collecting straw, which is less emphasized in Egyptian construction.
  1. River Events:
  • The first plague (river turning red) aligns with the drying of the Yamuna River in the Indus Valley rather than any Egyptian event.
Narrative Parallels
  1. Stories and Names:
  • Parallels between Hindu texts and biblical stories include the love story of Moses and Tharbis (Krishna and Rukmini) and the golden calf incident (grounding of a pestle).
  • 22 names appear in both Hindu texts and the Bible in the same sequence, suggesting common origins.
Geographical Evidence
  1. Water Bodies and Volcanoes:
  • Three significant water bodies mentioned in the Bible could correspond to the Indus River and other geographical features along a hypothesized migration route from the Indus Valley.
  • Mount Sinai's volcanic activity could be analogous to Mount Taftan on the migration path from the Indus Valley.
Conclusion
I conclude that six out of eight categories of evidence favor the Indus Valley hypothesis for the origin of the Jewish people, with the remaining two categories being neutral.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
It's mostly Evangelical Christians who try to read Exodus as history. Jews mostly go with the evidence.

Not "fake", but myth. Jews usually don't have a problem with that. Afaik, there is no Jewish variant of AiG.

Please try not to teach us about "Jews mostly."