• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Explain this logically christians....

strikeviperMKII

Sure, but since you don't know the consequences of that action and since consequences (according to strikeviperMKII) determine whether something is good or evil...:shrug:

Does the fact that you do not know them make them disappear? It does make the knowledge of the good or evil of our actions impossible to know until we know the consequences. Makes it a bit difficult to decide sometimes, doesn't it?

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Does the fact that you do not know them make them disappear? It does make the knowledge of the good or evil of our actions impossible to know until we know the consequences. Makes it a bit difficult to decide sometimes, doesn't it?

There is no evil in our actions if it was not intended.
You can never do something evil unless you wanted to.

You are considering bad things as evil.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
There is no evil in our actions if it was not intended.
You can never do something evil unless you wanted to.

Good point ^above^ Koldo because as Deut 32v5 says the people corrupted themselves.

Sin is either intentional or unintentional.
Intentional would be on purpose, premeditated, willful, not by accident.
By accident would not be evil in the sense it was not planned.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
My understanding of evil is that it always involves a malicious act, i.e. an intentional act whose goal is to inflict extreme, unnecessary suffering. Unintentional acts may cause great suffering, but they are not evil. They are tragic.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
My understanding of evil is that it always involves a malicious act, i.e. an intentional act whose goal is to inflict extreme, unnecessary suffering. Unintentional acts may cause great suffering, but they are not evil. They are tragic.

Please keep in mind that in Scripture 'evil' is not always synonymous with wrong doing. When necessary God uses 'calamity as an evil' against evil doers.
Revelation 11v18 B

Copernicus

Please keep in mind that in Scripture 'evil' is not always synonymous with wrong doing. When necessary God uses 'calamity as an evil' against evil doers.
Revelation 11v18 B
That is because primitive cultures interpreted all misfortune as being caused by gods. When they went to war, they won or lost depending on how powerful the gods were on each side and whether the gods were pleased or displeased with a side. It wasn't a very sophisticated view of reality. Time we grew up.

Frank Merton

You have a different sense of the word than I usually have, although I think both of our senses can be found in dictionaries. I think of suffering as evil, not that which causes it.

So, two meanings: My sense the death caused by the tsunami is an evil. Your sense, such death is not an evil but a murderer is evil. In common use both senses are ubiquitous, and I suspect most of the time this does not cause problems.

Frank Merton

That is because primitive cultures interpreted all misfortune as being caused by gods. When they went to war, they won or lost depending on how powerful the gods were on each side and whether the gods were pleased or displeased with a side. It wasn't a very sophisticated view of reality. Time we grew up.
I think that is a caricature.

So-called "primitive" peoples have far more sophisticated notions than that. "Animism" (the word usually used to define the "religious" ideas in such cultures) is widely misunderstood as being much like classical polytheism, with the world populated with all sorts of gods. Classical polytheism (of the Homeric sort where gods and goddesses actively interfere in human battles) was mainly a cultural trait of Indo-European language speaking cultures, and by no means universal.

1AOA1

:confused: Don't they say that it began in the early times when gods dwelt with them?

Copernicus

You have a different sense of the word than I usually have, although I think both of our senses can be found in dictionaries. I think of suffering as evil, not that which causes it.
I'm not finding your sense of the word in dictionaries so far.

So, two meanings: My sense the death caused by the tsunami is an evil. Your sense, such death is not an evil but a murderer is evil. In common use both senses are ubiquitous, and I suspect most of the time this does not cause problems.
But death is not suffering. That is what the survivors experience. How do you use the adjective? Do you apply it to emotions? Inanimate objects? Animals? Normally, we apply it to intelligent beings that we empathize with. People can be "evil", not rocks or trees or suffering. Suffering may be undesirable and unnecessary, but it is never "evil".

So-called "primitive" peoples have far more sophisticated notions than that. "Animism" (the word usually used to define the "religious" ideas in such cultures) is widely misunderstood as being much like classical polytheism, with the world populated with all sorts of gods. Classical polytheism (of the Homeric sort where gods and goddesses actively interfere in human battles) was mainly a cultural trait of Indo-European language speaking cultures, and by no means universal.
I wonder if animism is more widely misunderstood by ordinary folks or by those who tend to over-intellectualize it. There is a very strong tendency in us to personify everything, especially including forces of nature. We see ourselves in everything, because the world is only meaningful insofar as it relates to experience. The Indo-Europeans were not so different from other cultural groups that existed in their time. Their cosmology, including their views of gods, was roughly the same. Inanimate forces were controlled by intelligent beings such as themselves, and they could manipulate those beings through pleading, cajoling, and contractual offers (e.g. offering exclusive rights to being worshiped in exchange for favors).

You live in Asia, and it is full of people who believe in gods that are little different from the Indo-European ones. Older, more sophisticated people tend to take a less anthropomorphic view of gods, but they still view them as external forces, even if they all ultimately manifest the same being. Monistic philosophy was never exclusive to Eastern religions.

:confused: Don't they say that it began in the early times when gods dwelt with them?
Who are "they", and how would "they" know anything more than you or I about it?

Copernicus

Aren't they the ancients who experienced ancient times?
Why are you asking me? You were the one who brought "them" up. I see no reason to assume that the "ancients" all held to one opinion about gods or that they were in any better position than us to know about the nature of reality. In fact, I think that we moderns are in a position to know a great deal more. I treat a modern scientist as far more credible than some primitive bronze age self-appointed sage.

1AOA1

Why are you asking me? You were the one who brought "them" up. I see no reason to assume that the "ancients" all held to one opinion about gods or that they were in any better position than us to know about the nature of reality. In fact, I think that we moderns are in a position to know a great deal more. I treat a modern scientist as far more credible than some primitive bronze age self-appointed sage.
Opinions? :confused: Are you saying that they did not see that gods dwelt among them?

Copernicus

Opinions? :confused: Are you saying that they did not see that gods dwelt among them?
That seems like the most plausible idea. Why should I believe that gods dwelt among them? It's not as if history isn't full of people making false claims about gods. You can't believe everything you read.

1AOA1

That seems like the most plausible idea. Why should I believe that gods dwelt among them? It's not as if history isn't full of people making false claims about gods. You can't believe everything you read.
It is most plausible for someone who doesnt believe in god that there were no gods there?

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
Well I guess you could assign any name you want to these beings :)
Point is, it'd be amazingly easy to convince an ancient person of you're being a god, when you aren't really. Consider the effect stage magic has, even when you know it's not real. And that's assuming that the ancient peoples' accounts have survived, unaltered and exaggerated until the present, which is a silly assumption to make.
It is most plausible for someone who doesnt believe in god that there were no gods there?
It is most plausible, full stop. You're essentially playing a 2000+ year game of Telephone, so why are you giving any credit to the answer you get out the other end?