• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

F.B.I raids the office of Trump’s personal lawyer.

Shaul

Premium Member
Why is it sad that I do understand how to properly apply logical fallacies? That makes no sense at all. But then . . .
Why is it sad? Because you cited a source which quoted Trevor Potter exactly as an appeal to authority fallacy error. Then you write that you understand what the appeal to authority fallacy is but can’t even recognize that what you did was exactly that. Here, read this, Appeal to Authority
So, yes it is certain that you made the appeal to authority fallacy, and that you either don’t really understand the error when you claim you do or are so lacking in comprehension to recognize it, and that you can’t make sense of plain words. It is also certainly sad, quite sad. Not that you understand logical fallacies but because you have demonstrated that you actually don’t but claim you do. But then...

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Why is it sad? Because you cited a source which quoted Trevor Potter exactly as an appeal to authority fallacy error. Then you write that you understand what the appeal to authority fallacy is but can’t even recognize that what you did was exactly that. Here, read this, Appeal to Authority
So, yes it is certain that you made the appeal to authority fallacy, and that you either don’t really understand the error when you claim you do or are so lacking in comprehension to recognize it, and that you can’t make sense of plain words. It is also certainly sad, quite sad. Not that you understand logical fallacies but because you have demonstrated that you actually don’t but claim you do. But then...

Now you are contradicting yourself. Earlier you said that I did know how to apply logical fallacies and now you are mistakenly saying that I do not. That is not the best site to describe the Appear to Authority error, this one is betterL

Your logical fallacy is appeal to authority

The appeal to authority error is usually made when someone claims that an expert, that is not an expert in the field, has an opinion that supports you. If you wanted more evidence you should have asked for more. I am not going to do your homework for you. If I can find a legal authority, or more than one legal authority, that agrees with me you lose since you have no support at all for your rather ignorant claims.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Your reference actually didn’t prove your point. It is based on two anonymous sources giving hearsay opinions about an ongoing confidential investigation, which are not worth much. In other words it did not confirm that Mueller has evidence that Cohen was in Prague, but it does prove your citation uses unreliable sources in its reporting. It also proves my own point where I previously wrote “The reports are based on innuendo, opinions and anonymous leaks.” Thanks.
Of course it would be much easier if Mueller just tweeted everything he found but we will have to wait. Regardless the whole fact that they got warrants for three of Cohen locations is a pretty significant development. You can pretend Cohen is clean if you like but he is in some hot water and is most definitely connected to Trump.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Oh well, Trevor Potter has an opinion. That’s different. The one who is buddies with G. H. W. Bush and McCain, both hostile to Trump. And Even though he has no direct knowledge on this particular case. Do you know what the “appeal to authority” logical fallacy means?
:rolleyes:

I know what ad hominem is.

Care to comment on the substance of his claim?

Nous

Premium Member
It wasn’t a campaign contribution.
Then what was the purpose of Cohen paying Daniels $130,000? That payment didn't benefit Cohen in any way. On whose behalf did Cohen pay that money to Daniels?
No answers, Shaul?

If one cannot plausibly say what the $130,000 payment was for and on whose behalf it was paid, it would seem difficult to plausibly assert what its purpose was.

Thermos aquaticus

Of course it would be much easier if Mueller just tweeted everything he found but we will have to wait. Regardless the whole fact that they got warrants for three of Cohen locations is a pretty significant development. You can pretend Cohen is clean if you like but he is in some hot water and is most definitely connected to Trump.

Mueller didn't get any search warrants for Cohen's properties. The Cohen matter was referred to the US Attorney's office (New York Southern District) after both Mueller and Rosenstein determined that the case was outside of Mueller's mandate. The decision to pursue the case was made by the US Attorney's office.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Mueller didn't get any search warrants for Cohen's properties. The Cohen matter was referred to the US Attorney's office (New York Southern District) after both Mueller and Rosenstein determined that the case was outside of Mueller's mandate. The decision to pursue the case was made by the US Attorney's office.
So your saying Cohen isn't connected to Trump?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
So your saying Cohen isn't connected to Trump?
I think that he was merely clarifying that this matter arose from the Mueller investigation, but Mueller recognized it was not under his purview and he referred it to another to be investigated independently.

It is not unusual. Often when someone is being investigated for one wrong doing another is found. Mueller wants to focus on his investigation and rightly so.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
What “illegal purposes”? What law was broken? Where’s the crime? Paying someone to remain quiet isn’t a crime. There’s no evidence of misuse of funds. “Lock him up” for what??
While the focus in this thread has been on the Stormy affair, the $130,000 hush money payment, and it being a possibly illegal campaign donation, that need not be the reason for the raid.

Regardless of whether we know the possible criminal activity involved, we know that there is some possible criminal activity. The raid was executed by the state’s attorney, who was assigned by Sessions, and with warrants approved by a federal judge. You must have probable cause to obtain search warrants, not to mention the fact that the DOJ has been performing a criminal investigation on Cohen for months.